Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop turning fast when engine started

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kevonmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevonmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop turning fast when engine started
    Posted: April-12-2020 at 5:57pm
Happy Easter everyone. I bought a project boat last fall. It's a 79 Ski Nautique with a Ford 351 with a Velvet Drive that is in need of some love. I've been working on it all winter and was finally warm enough last week to try to start it. I never saw the boat run before buying it, but the deal was too good to pass up. I was able to get the boat to start, but the prop is running full boar without any throttle. This happens whether the throttle pin is pulled out or not. Ive tried to step on the shaft to see how much power is getting to it, but that didn't slow it down. I've also tried to disconnect the throttle cable from he transmission and that did nothing as well. I have read a lot of people asking about their props running a rotation or two a second, but this is significantly more than that. Any thoughts on what may be causing this or how it can be fixed?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 6:14pm
Kevin,
It's called a dirty neutral and in your case it sounds like it's very dirty. It's when the clutch pack plates drag on one another. Typically you can stop it by hand but not being able to do that makes me think you need a trans rebuild. Pulling it apart will tell.

BTW, pulling the pin on the throttle does nothing. It simply disengages the throttle handle from the shift cable allowing you to rev the engine more without shifting the trans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 6:39pm
Did you try wiggling the shift lever forward and back to see if your tranny is just adjusted wrong or maybe the detents in the tranny are not working properly or stuck.
Do Forward and Reverse function? I know you have forward movement but what happens when you actually shift into forward and later into reverse?   Just curious if the tranny actually works in reverse. Is the fluid clean?   You might be into a rebuild but rule out simple stuff first.   Maybe activating reverse will loosen up the clutches in neutral.
kevonmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevonmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 8:56pm
H Mark,
        I pulled off the throttle cable and placed the transmission into neutral by hand, then started the boat. The prop was still spinning as fast as it had been. I am able to put it into forward and reverse. There is a position about a third of the way into reverse when the shaft will slow down, but continue to spin, then it flips into reverse pretty rapidly. The detents seem to be working properly. There is a little bit of play, but not enough to make engage the transmission.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 9:45pm
The shaft starts to slow down because you're releasing the pressure on the forward clutch piston and applying pressure to the reverse piston as you're shifting from Forward thru Neutral to Reverse.

If you go from Reverse to Neutral, does the shaft start spinning Forward right away or stay stopped for a while.

Myself, I never try to stop the shaft with body parts, not even somebody else's

Try a 2X4 wedged under the coupling to see how much effort it takes to stop the shaft in Neutral.

Since the boat shifts OK, you might want to drive the boat around some and get the fluid warmed up to normal temperatures and see if the condition improves with some running time.

You've got nothing to lose by giving it some driving exercise but like Pete said then you're into transmission work if it's still spinning so much that it's hard to drive/control.

Some people have a dirty neutral and have lived with it for a long long time.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic