Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine will not start when Hot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lowerygdl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowerygdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine will not start when Hot
    Posted: June-01-2020 at 7:09pm
My 1989 Nautique w/350FOrd starts missing after about 30 minutes of running and then dies when I slow to an idle. Then it will not fire, only cranks over. I have replaced the carburetor, coil, resistor and still have the same problem. It has a Mallory electronic ignition. If I jumper over the resistor or jumper from battery/pos to coil/pos it will start immediately.
I am stumped? Any ideas?
GDL
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 7:45pm
The Mallory module requires 12V (red wire) and should not be powered through the resistor.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
lowerygdl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowerygdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 7:50pm
Interesting, the installation instructions say it requires an ignition ballast resistor. Is is the E-Spark PN 61002M. It was running fine for a couple of years with the Mallory and resistor as they are but then I started having issues last fall, and still.
GDL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 8:14pm
Did you replace the coil with the same one?
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
lowerygdl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowerygdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 8:44pm
I have replaced the coil twice. The first time last fall it was replaced buy Johns Marine where I was having it serviced. This week I replaced it again just in case the other one was bad. This time it is a coil I picked up at Advanced Auto. Both coils had the same result.
GDL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 10:28pm
Some coils have built in resistors. Did you replace it with the exact same coil as you had been using when it worked? Who is the current coil made by and what is the PN?
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
lowerygdl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowerygdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2020 at 12:27pm
I will need to check on the maker and P/N later today to let you know. Thank you. I discussed this with Advanced Auto when he was looking up what I needed, but I am not 100% sure about this.
GDL
lowerygdl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowerygdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2020 at 4:01pm
NAPA does not show a brand. It is P/N IC10SB, Says Line:MPE
Not sure if this helps, but appreciate any incite you might have
GDL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic