NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 GT40 running at 178

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2002 GT40 running at 178
    Posted: June-12-2020 at 2:21pm
We just bought a 2002 196 with the GT40 in it. The thermostat was bad (corroded) and wouldn't open or close all the way so I replaced it (the temp with old thermostat was 120). I got a new one from Nautique parts. The boat now idles at 160 but climbs to 178 at running speeds. I've checked for air leaks, taken off all the hoses to check for blockages, etc.. The only thing I can find is the first brass fitting coming in from raw water intake is loose. It's going to be a pain in the butt to take that apart so I'm checking all options before doing that. Any other suggestions?
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 2:34pm
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 2:46pm
Which part is loose. Your arrow seems to point at the 45* elbow. I have not worked on a 2002 model year but your boat has a ball check valve above your arrow and currently it is about 70% closed.   Why is the valve in the boat? The early boats don’t have one.
Open the valve 100% and your issue may go away. Push the lever down so it is in line with the intake hose to open.   A couple of plumbing pipe wrenches would be used to tighten the fitting.
Mark
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Which part is loose. Your arrow seems to point at the 45* elbow. I have not worked on a 2002 model year but your boat has a ball check valve above your arrow and currently it is about 70% closed.   Why is the valve in the boat? The early boats don’t have one.
Open the valve 100% and your issue may go away. Push the lever down so it is in line with the intake hose to open.   A couple of plumbing pipe wrenches would be used to tighten the fitting.
Mark

Yes, its the elbow. It's loose on the hull side, not the top that runs to RW strainer. The valve is factory, they were installed so you could shut off the water supply in an emergency. Not sure when you would want that to happen!!

The valve is open all the way. I may have moved it when I was looking for the leak.

Unfortunately you can't tighten it while its in the boat. When you turn to tighten, the other fittings hit the engine before you can turn it tight. I think you have to use some type of thread sealant to hold elbow at angle you need it to be at.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 3:26pm
Impeller? waterpump? belt within spec? 1/4 play both ways
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 3:32pm
I'm surprised that they previously had a 120 thermostat in it. Is it possible the PO put a 120 in? It's been 160 (at least from 1996). You must have a digital gauge, but maybe your new thermostat opens a little later. Before you replaced the stuck 120, I assume the engine never got to normal operating temperature (meaning you have good flow into the engine). I have an analog gauge, but there is some fluctuation in temps.

I assume you have a new impeller in the raw water pump.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 3:40pm
I put new impeller in. Could be water pump. Not sure how I would diagnose. Belts seem correct.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Tbarile Tbarile wrote:

Unfortunately you can't tighten it while its in the boat. When you turn to tighten, the other fittings hit the engine before you can turn it tight. I think you have to use some type of thread sealant to hold elbow at angle you need it to be at.

Todd,
You''ll need to remove some fittings on top of the 45 elbow so you can swing it to tighten it up. For pipe sealant, I suggest Tru-Blue by Rectorseal or Blue Monster. Both are semi hardening and vibration resistant. Don't use Teflon pipe tape as it's too slippery and my not keep the pipe fittings in position.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

I'm surprised that they previously had a 120 thermostat in it. Is it possible the PO put a 120 in? It's been 160 (at least from 1996). You must have a digital gauge, but maybe your new thermostat opens a little later. Before you replaced the stuck 120, I assume the engine never got to normal operating temperature (meaning you have good flow into the engine). I have an analog gauge, but there is some fluctuation in temps.

I assume you have a new impeller in the raw water pump.

They had the correct thermostat, It was just so badly corroded that it wasn't working correctly. My boat has the analog temp gauge.

Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by C_Heath C_Heath wrote:

Impeller? waterpump? belt within spec? 1/4 play both ways

I guess if anything my belts may be a hair too tight. Would that cause it?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 8:58pm
No
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 9:01pm
Maybe the previous owner had a impeller failure and did not get all the rubber chunks out causing blockages in your cooling system. It has happened to others many times.
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Maybe the previous owner had a impeller failure and did not get all the rubber chunks out causing blockages in your cooling system. It has happened to others many times.

I pulled off all the hoses after impeller and couldn't find any pieces.

Anyone know how you test a water pump?

Most seem to think it's that first brass fitting coming up from the thru hull because it runs at 160 until we get up to 20+mph.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 5:00pm
A quick test of your pump/ impeller is to start it up when cold and put your hand on the back/side housing of the raw water pump. If it starts to get warm, water is not flowing sufficiently (air getting sucked in poor/old impeller, etc.). The pump housings should stay cool if lake water is flowing through it properly.

I do this test every time I replace the impeller. I know within a few seconds if it is pumping water correctly because it heats up very quickly with the rubber rubbing on the inside of the housing without water.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Tbarile Tbarile wrote:

Anyone know how you test a water pump?.

Todd,
Take a look at the RWP bucket test thread

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic