NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

forgive me - winterizing question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ac505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: forgive me - winterizing question
    Posted: September-04-2007 at 11:59am
I've winterized the 350 chevy in my last boat for 8years by the method below, however need a little advice on winterizing a GT40.

method:-

run engine up to temperature with hose fitted upstream of filter bowl.

Once at temp, shutdown and connect up a barrel of 50/50 antifreeze mix, run this through engine until I can see antifreeze exit exhausts.

Fog carb until it stalls, remove and oil cylinders, rotate etc .

My nautique hsa a GT40 injected engine and I am not familiar with any differences in thw winterization procedure. I have never needed to drain the block, instead I prefer to pump antifreeze in and let it circulate, I assume this procedure can be replicated on the GT40? The intake on the GT40 is dry so I guess I skip the fogging and go straight to spraying through the plug holes into each cylinder.

I've not detailed lubing, greasing, oil changes etc.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 12:09pm
Putting the anti freeze in that way is ok, but you should drain the block first to get the water out.
ac505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 12:30pm
wouldn't I then run the risk of the t'stat closing down in the time it takes to drain the engine? Then, possibly the antifreeze mix does not get to all parts of the engine?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 12:32pm
That way should work fine as long as the thermostat is open. I did the same thing on my boat for years. A good friend has a GT40 and has winterized the same way for three years now without issue.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 12:41pm
The thermostat blocks the water from leaving the engine. Even if it is closed, the antifreeze will fill the block and then by pass into the exhaust manifolds, as long as the block has been drained.

I have a friend that used to run anti freeze through without draining and he cracked his block. His thermostat must not have opened.

You don't know that the water is out of the block unless you drain it.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 2:35pm
You should catch the antifreeze and recycle until you get hot antifreeze out the exhaust. If the t-stat is closed, it will get pumped out the exhaust. Also, what you catch, you should check the freeze temp because it will mix with water in the block.
Tim D
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 7:44pm
I have always just drained the motor and pulled all the drain plugs. never used antifreeze. in 12 years I've had 1 frost plug pop.

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 1:49pm
I was cleaning up the 68 Mustang (289)I recently got. I took off he motor box and was looking around with a light, and found a frost plug laying on the starter... Needless to say, I was pretty surprised. There are no obvious cracks, there was some rust in there though. I have not yet fired this boat up as we still have ice on the lakes.... This was the rear-most plug, and the next one forward was pushed out a little. The PO has always just drained the block. No antifreeze. I cleaned up the hole and the plug and tapped it back in, as well as the one in front of it.
Should I be overly nervous? That is what they are supposed to do, afterall. I probably have at least 10 days before I can run the boat.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic