Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bottle jack method on a big block

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79barefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79barefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bottle jack method on a big block
    Posted: February-16-2008 at 4:34pm
I need to remove my transmission, I have a 79 barefoot 454, I believe they are aluminum manifolds, I read that any manifold is strong enough and just wanted to check if anyone has tried this on the 454?

thanks,
chris
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 6:46pm
yes, it should be plenty, or you can use the back mount adjusting bolts to raise and block the engine against the hull, remove the top nuts and use the bottem nuts to lift the engine and then block, normally me and another guy can lift the back of the engine and block. Remember to loosen thwe front pinch bolts so the mount will swivel. Hopefully you are also replacing the damper plate too, so you can stack wood underneath the manifolds on both sides to the stringers in order to remove the bellhousing, and i know your first thought was well the damper looks good....its not, look very,very close at it, where the springs meet the plate you'll see wear marks. I only use Sachs or Lipe damper plates in front of these transmissions. What is wrong with your trans? is it a 10-18 model? describe what the trans is doing and maybe we can give you an idea what may be wrong with it
   Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
79barefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79barefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 12:08am
Thanks Eric,
It sometimes slips, and it never stops turning in neutral the prop keeps spinning and the boat keeps going, not quite as fast as idling in gear but none the less it makes it more difficult to drive. I have gotten used to it but when its my turn I have to give a new driving lesson each time.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 1:13pm
plus its dangerous, dont put any additives at all in it, especially with the shapes its in now. nothing will help
make sure you change the damper because when you put the trans in reverse it really loads the damper because of the plates also being stuck partially in forward
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic