NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Disaster strikes my pull vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:21am
tr, I love ya like a brother but alot of the nippers use ZF tranny's and even american made and designed transmissions
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

its nice to see you guy's talking good ole American iron

You'd have to. He said cheap.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by waterskier2007 waterskier2007 wrote:

ah come on eric, of course we are. he asked what kind of machine to pull a boat, not what kind of car would be best for his wife to do her nails in

Believe it or not, there exist foriegn-branded tow vehicles that excel at more than just cruising to the mall. Some are even built well enough so that the transmission doesnt fail the same day the wheels fall off.
waterskier2007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 6:20pm
ah come on eric, of course we are. he asked what kind of machine to pull a boat, not what kind of car would be best for his wife to do her nails in
-Brendan Kirchner
Glass is made to be shattered

85BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 4:08pm
its nice to see you guy's talking good ole American iron
waterskier2007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 3:46pm
two of the boat drivers on our waterski team use the diesel excursions, and get pretty decent gas mileage. those things will pull anything. we use it to tow our huge 5.5 foot waterski jump ramp when we go to different lakes to perform
-Brendan Kirchner
Glass is made to be shattered

85BFN
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 12:13pm
I like my F-250 Powerstroke Diesel I had a F-150 with the 5.4 gas engine but the diesel is much better for towing. Pulling my 16' enclosed alum. snowmobile trailer with the 150 I would get around 8 mpg with the diesel pulling the same trailer and sleds on the same run I averaged 13-15 mpg running 70mph. I didn't have the boat when I owned the 150 but the GVW's between the boat and the sled trailers loaded are about the same.

If you were to look into a Ford diesel look for a '01 -'02 7.3 liter that motor is a power monster and will run for ever, don't worry about high miles on the diesel motor's they'll run 10 times longer than a gas motor.
The 6.0 ford diesel's had alot of problems '03 - '05 in 06 they finally got the bugs worked out.

Good luck
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 11:07am
Holly crap! From bad to worse huh? Oh well, at least you got to go out on the boat. Yesterday when i put in, there was this guy at the ramp messing with his boat, would not start. We went out for about 4 hours, came back and the guy is still there. I asked him if it started and he said yes and I asked what the problem was and he said the electric trim was not working now so he could not pull the boat home without dragging the outdrive the whole way.   I think he was giving me a dirty look when I backed in, ran the boat on the trailer and was out of there in less than 5 minutes!

Oh yeah, you can get a late 80's early 90's work truck for a 1-2K. Won't be nice, but it will get you to the lake.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 9:55am
I recommend any one of the three, Ford, Dodge or a GM, you cant go wrong
BTW, your trans dropped into fail safe mode, have it scanned it may be the variable force motor, does it have reverse? it should be a 4l60e, very durable....get a couple of opinions if you decide to have it fixed.....you know those tranny guy's
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 3:02am
Newer police interceptors just dont have the towing rating due to the Watts linkage rear end setup, 1998 feature the lower ratings, older than that do alright. If you can find one a buick roadmaster wagon with an lt1 and towing package makes a very solid tow vehicle for a ski nautique sized boat and will get relatively good mileage doing so. Full size GMs as Brian recommends also do the job quite nicely and there are some bargains to be had in mid nineties tahoes and suburbans with current gas prices.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 1:30am
I'll put up a vote for the Yukon XL/Suburban. Mine now has 148K miles on it, and I just finished towing my 2001 super air from CA to Green Lake Wisconsin and back. It is a 2000, half ton XL with the 5.3 liter motor. Knock wood, I've never had a problem with this vehicle other than routine maintenance. Book values are now down to about 10K.

On the trip out I pushed it hard over the Sierra Nevadas, Rocky Mountains, and the Black hills averageing 62 mph. I got 12.1 mpg.

On the trip home, the terrain was a bit more forgiving and I pushed it an average of 66 mph. I got 10.7 mpg.

On legs with flatter terrain, or lower speed limits, the mileage exceeded 13.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 12:25am
So were heading to the lake.... About half way the tranny in my 96 Blazer drops to second gear and stays there. It's been acting up for the past year so I kind of expected it sooner or later. We had a great time out on the Sky Ski. On the way home, the tranny is still staying in second gear when suddenly there's this awful sound followed by a drop in the right front end and then a nasty scraping sound. You guessed it. The lower ball joint broke and tire flopped out sideways. Luckily I was going very slow because of the smoked tranny. Long story short, I'm looking for a reasonable tow vehicle at a cheap price. I'm not worried about gas mileage. I just don't want it to break for a few years. Any ideas? I'm considering a police interceptor car rather than a truck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic