NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It should be true

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 9>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 10:10am
I surely cannot come up with a 100% explanation of the afterlife, even though my beliefs say and spell out what happens,
Kueka, is it passion or does she have the gift of the talk circuit, like Billy Grahem, or that young guy on the tube Sunday Morning.
"the things you own will start to own you"
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 2:59am
The pastor at my church is a woman who was born and raised in Turkey as a muslim and converted to christianity before moving to the states. Her husband is also a pastor. They co-pastor my church and one in the next town. She has been basically disowned by her family in Turkey. She is very passionate about her religion and it shows during her sermons. It is very interesting to me when she gets off on tangents between the two religions.
86 Martinique
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 2:29am
Originally posted by davee40 davee40 wrote:

there are christians that have come from many faiths such as catholosism,budism,islamic.scientology.and so on n so on,how much harder was it for these people to beliseve as opposed to someone born here in the states,they heard the truth and they believed through faith and they will be rewarded for it

The same could be said about any religion. Certainly there are Christians who change faith too.
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 10:57pm
for the true believers it will be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
davee40
lakeland,fl
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by davee40 davee40 wrote:

the one truth is that we have the bible and yes by faith you have to believe that jesus was born and did die for us and he was the son of god . there are christians that have come from many faiths such as catholosism,budism,islamic.scientology.and so on n so on,how much harder was it for these people to beliseve as opposed to someone born here in the states,they heard the truth and they believed through faith and they will be rewarded for it ,and no eric you dont pick where you go when you die,at that point the life you lead and what you believed will make the differance,there are a lot of people sitting in the pews of churches who will be surprised when they meet god
hopefully a pleasant surprise !!
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 10:15pm
the one truth is that we have the bible and yes by faith you have to believe that jesus was born and did die for us and he was the son of god . there are christians that have come from many faiths such as catholosism,budism,islamic.scientology.and so on n so on,how much harder was it for these people to beliseve as opposed to someone born here in the states,they heard the truth and they believed through faith and they will be rewarded for it ,and no eric you dont pick where you go when you die,at that point the life you lead and what you believed will make the differance,there are a lot of people sitting in the pews of churches who will be surprised when they meet god
davee40
lakeland,fl
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 4:20pm
Eric,

Bigfoot, no I don't think there is a bigfoot. As far as UFO's I suppose they could be real if parallel universes exist. I haven't really formed an opinion on Parallel Universes. I would like to think that earth isn't the only place where life exists but at this point there isn't much reason to believe otherwise. Hopefully, as we continue to learn more, parallel universes can either be proved or disproved. This is another bonus of not being religious centric. You are free to explore, and imagine things the bible doesn't allow.   Freethought
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 10:13am
Phil, I was worried all weekend, Touched by an angel? and i guess i also wanted your opinion on Bigfoot and UFO's too, or even parrallel universes
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 6:08pm
this damn topic made me question my religion, and beliefs, I feel as long as your a good person and good to others you dont have to pop in every Sunday and things will naturally happen..they dont pick and choose at the gates, i believe there is an afterlife and thats where you make your choice or the choice is made for you? i dont know. but i dont think we just fade away, thats where i draw the line and hope what i was taught growing up is the way it will be, but Damn, God has to be a busy man, or does he hand off to others to handle things for him. i wont write versus or scriptures from the bible, but i use the condensed version, the 10 commandments, whether that happened up on Mt Sinai I dont know, but its what i live by
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 3:43pm
Eric, your beliefs sound like Free Masonry. BKH
Livin' the Dream

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

[quote]
If you grew up in India you would be Hindu and you would believe in Hinduism just as strong as you believe in Christianity.

Probably. However, you also might be Islamic, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, Jewish or practice Jainism. India is a very religiously tolerant country, and Hinduism is by its very nature one of the the more tolerant of religions.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Phil, how about the sciencetoligist i know? if someone would be kind enough to highlight the post a few weeks back. and to think we could all be wrong.

The plethora of more-or-less incompatible religious concepts that mankind has invented from Creationism and intelligent design to Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Mormonism, Scientology, Hinduism, Shinto, Shamanism etc, are all basically indistinguishable, all stories made up by man and using iron age philosophies.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 11:15pm
One point I do take from your discussion is when in India your a Hindu, when in jabbabaland you blow your self up for the sake of a reward of 72 Virgins, when in Jewish land you dont believe in Jesus, when in Hollywood you belive in re-incarnation....thats what has me baffled, I was raised a Catholic but, the Priests blew that one literally, not a good role model i would say, very wealthy the religion itself based on monetary gain? i get the envelopes on time every month, 10%? guess again.
I have a sense of some brainwashing in the religous system, Koresh, Jimmy Jones, Jehovah Witnesses, and to the likes. but I still think there is a higher power which most would refer to as a God, there are 6 billion people on this earth which evolved from 2? it kinda makes sense but then again it doesnt. I know there were dinasours, cavemen, fossils prove that. how did it all start? but on the other side of the coin, we did walk on all fours at one time and evolved to what we are today, what controls those actions of progression
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 10:51pm
Phil, how about the sciencetoligist i know? if someone would be kind enough to highlight the post a few weeks back. and to think we could all be wrong.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:53pm
I think this has been a good discussion. I know I've enjoyed it and there have been a lot of valid points brought up.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:51pm
Wood changed my wife's perspective too. Wait, what?
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:39pm
Hi Phil,

The piece of scripture you are referring to in Luke 19 is a part of a larger story that shows people how God is calling us to join His Kingdom to make a better world. The verse you reference is an illustration and not meant to be taken literally. Sort of like when people say in jest "I could just kill you." The same with the Proverb you mention. The Proverbs are similar to other ancient writings common to middle east wisdom literature. They are pithy sayings that are not meant to be taken literally but to make a point. The point in this Proverb being: a child raised without discipline is spoiled. The point is not to beat your child with rods.

Jesus indeed said that He came to fulfill the law; and he did. The point of the law (the old covenant) was to give people a way to live. It was practical, the ten commandments of Deuteronomy are the summary of the law. Some of those laws are archaic and even barbaric sounding. But it is unfair for us and our understanding and our morality to go backwards and lay that morality at the feet of an entirely different culture.

Jesus fulfilled the law by getting people beyond the legalism of it. In other words Jesus doesn't want us to do good because it would break the law to not do good; Jesus actually wants us to know we are loved and then to love, in so doing we fulfill the original purpose of the law which was to "Love the Lord with all your heart." Jesus fulfilled that by then saying "and love your neighbor as yourself."

Scripture should not be used one verse at a time to prove or disprove. Again, I will say that the totality of scripture, including the New Testament, points to love. The cumulative teachings of Jesus all point to how much God loves us.

Phil, for me, it is always about love, forgiveness, mercy, justice. These are common themes of Scripture, and I am incapable of applying those qualities in my relationships with others without God.

That being said, I don't want in any way to imply you are not a good person, that you don't act with kindness. I'm just saying for me, that to live in peace, to experience kindness, to be forgiven, and to be forgiving . . . it's God.

It really is good talking you, thanks for your time,
Chuck

Not taking the bible literally didn't always use to be the case and there are still a lot of fundamentalist Christians who take the bible literally. It wasn't until modern times when Christians started interpreting how they see fit to better conform to society. Polls have suggested that more than a third of Christians believe the bible literally. You are a moderate Christian. Which is a relaxation of the standards of adherence to ancient taboos and superstitions. Moderate Christians have agreed not to read the bible literally, and not read certain sections of it at all, and then they come away with a much more progressive, and tolerant version of Christianity. They just pay attention to Jesus when he's sermonizing on the Mount, and claim that is the true Christianity. That's not the true Christianity. It's a selective reading of certain aspects of Christianity. If your deciding what is to be taken literal and what is not, how do you know that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" is suppose to be taken literally? Is there an asterisk by it on the bottom of the page or something? The truthful answer would be you don't. Your just making a best guess here. How do you know that the Qur'an isn't the real book? This is the problem that you all don't seem to get. It's nothing more than shear chance you are Christian. If you grew up in India you would be Hindu and you would believe in Hinduism just as strong as you believe in Christianity. How do you know your right? You are only Christian because that is the prodominent religion in this country. You are so convinced of this stuff that you can't see past it, or you can and you choose not to. It's close minded thinking.

Chuck, I also enjoy the conversation and your time.

Also, there must be other atheists on this forum who are reading this. You guys should speak up. I realize that it's taboo to question religion and that you probably are staying out so that you don't ruin any relationships but this stuff goes on and on if someone doesn't call a spade a spade.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:32pm
Whatever.
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Having a higher power only adds to the happy, joyous

Kinda like owning a wooden boat

How this can be interpreted any other way besides: Wood happiness > Plastic happiness I don't know... Thanks for judging and applying your beliefs to everyone else once again.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:29pm
Like Hollywood, I have enjoyed most of the discussion. Phosper and Okie Boarder have made this a very intelligent discussion.
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Phil, I didnt read thru so i do have to ask, what do you think happens once we die?

72 Virgins

Quinner, You guys probably think that's crazy right? But it's no different than many of the claims Christianity makes.

This was a good point by Phospher, how do Christians view this? Further more, what is the viewpoint one religion has on the other. Obviously everyone views their religion as THE religion....right?

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:21pm
Lewy, you hit the nail squarly on its little head.
Not better nor worse just different.........
Wood I sell Karen's plastic boat ............
Wood I buy another GRP classic..........
Wood a wood chuck chuck if a wood could chuck wood........
Wood you.........
Wood you not if you had a wood knot........
Wood boats, wood ski's, wood you...........

I wood if you wood too......
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:13pm
Not putting anyone down, just saying how wood has changed my perspective on boat ownership.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:09pm
I have also enjoyed this thread. It is good to hear both sides interpretation. As Billy said it lets you revise your own beliefs. Sounds like those wooden boats are becoming their own religion or just a new sect of the Boating Church.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:02pm
So Wood, Wood you own a Wood boat if it Wood preform like the 88?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:43pm
edit: nevermind, it's not going to make a difference.

I've enjoyed reading what most of you wrote in this thread, especially phospher, The Lake, Okie Boarder.

Originally posted by God God wrote:

Carry On
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:31pm
HW, The Dart has changed my views and the responsibilities of boat ownership.

First came masturbation then actual sex, how can you have an opinion with out a "Before and After"

The Dart has raised my level of Boating Zen to another level only enjoyed by us that "Have A Woody"

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 4:55pm
Billy, did you feel like less of a boater before the Dart came along?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 4:29pm
Tim, you know what I mean with that statement.

Plastic will be easier to maintain and give less trouble if love , care and understanding are not followed.

This is not the case with wood, ignore her and soon she will have a spot in the landfill or better yet end up with an owner that loves and cares.

Which life do you want to live.....Full Tilt Boogie/ There is no Tommorrow

OR
I had best take care of what has been given to me as a steward here on earth.........
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 4:10pm

some opt out for a less labor intensive mode of water travel, plastic/fiberglass.

WoW! Sniff, Sniff. That hurts Billy!

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 3:33pm
Unlike the others who are pi$$ed because you're obviously forcing them to read this (sarcasm), I applaud this discussion. For one of the most heated topics known, this has remained very civilized.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 3:27pm
Chuck , you did well in that explanation.I know that this thread has only helped to explain why I need God in my life.
Having a higher power only adds to the happy, joyous and free relationship with the mortals that inhabit this big blue ball.
Kinda like owning a wooden boat,some opt out for a less labor intensive mode of water travel, plastic/fiberglass.
While the wood requires a different mind set,not all will be willing to enter this world without changing their basic attitudes of care, maint. and operation.Most will choose the easier softer approach, boats and life have a lot in common......
I am proud to be a woody owner as well a member of Gods flock....................Billy   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 9>
  Share Topic