NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wakeboard Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 3:29pm
Yeah, that wake looks pretty good. I bet it doesn't take much weight to cause that boat to displace quite a bit and that's really all that is needed to make a good wake. I bet if you just brought along 1 or 2 extra people it would boost it quite a bit. I would assume you have an extended pylon? It looks like the rope is up fairly high.

I've heard the PS3 is a pretty good board...kind of more in the intermediate to advanced area. I think the edges and rocker are a little more mellow on the PS3 than some, but I've seen a couple guys that are intermediate to advanced riding them and really liking them.

Make sure he gets really good bindings too. Now that he is getting to that level he needs maximum support around his foot and ankle and they need to securely hold him in. One foot in, one foot out crashes can do some serious damage. Do you know what bindings come on the PS3 at West Marine?

There are all kinds of sources online for good deals. Most places online are closing out '09 gear and I'd bet you can get a better price than he can with his discount.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

By the way, what boat is he riding behind in that picture and how is it set up?

Set up???    

76 Ski Tique, no weight other than 10 gallons of gas and a 105 pound redhead sitting behind the motor box. Trouble is the wake is very inconsistent. Since the boat is so light and narrow it tips alot as he pulls back and forth which makes the wake properties vary. But when everything is right there is a pretty good lip and a decent size wake. We certainly aren't at the point of having to worry about a better set up, yet. I kind of chuckle at people that have the $85 grand boats with all the bells and whistles but the riders cant do any more than weave back and forth...might as well be on a ski.

Sounds like LF is popular. Unfortunately there are no higher end water sports stores in our area and he really doesn't know anyone that would know or that he could borrow from....except his cousin, who is very much an advanced rider, but he is 4 hours away. Nobody has mentioned the LF PS3, which appears to be one of their higher end boards. I wonder how close it is to the witness. Anybody have any input on the PS3? Another factor, tho not a requirement, is being able to get the board at West Marine, since he works there and gets a decent discount, although their stock of more advanced boards is limited. They do however have the PS3. Thanks for the input so far guys.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 2:26pm
By the way, what boat is he riding behind in that picture and how is it set up?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 2:25pm
I ride a LF Lyman and used to have a LF Witness. I like both, but I'm not really sure I could say I notice a weight issue. There are definitely lots of boards out there to choose from and it's tough to choose. Demo is the best. Second best is to have him talk to his buddies. You might try posting on wakeboarder.com or wakeworld.com.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 2:33am
What Morfoot says; try (to try) before you buy. There's so much out there and it's all personal preference so it's hard to make a recommendation. If he can try different shapes and different sizes and tell us what he likes it'd make it a whole lot easier.
LF's Trip is (almost) everybody's friend and is very affordable, there must be some '09 closeouts out there. Maybe more important: get some good boots!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 3:07pm
Loved my LF Evolution board. Right now I ride a Hyperlite Murray...used to ride a premier but it was slow and not too poppy, AND heavy. That old LF board of mine though was probably my favorite.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 2:15pm
Larry, I'm 43 yr old 5'10 175lbs and have been riding LF trip for about 4 years. I've been a LF guy since I've been into boarding and have loved both boards I've owned. I did try others before I purchased to see how they rode but stuck with a LF. Have your son check with buddies or even anyone you happen to run by on the water to see what they ride and how they like it. Most folks have offered me a chance to ride theirs. Some skishops will have "Demo Day's" and offer a chance to try some of the boards they carry for a small fee and take it off the price of a board if you buy it from them. E-bay is where I got my last board. I got a $300.00 board for about $130.00 because it was the previous years model.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 1:59pm
My son is looking to upgrade his wakeboard. He has moved beyond beginner into intermediate. He has a CWB (I don't recall model right now) which he is finding too thick and too heavy. Any recommendations. Price is a factor. I can't offer him any insights so I was hoping someone here could.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic