NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A 351w (stroker?) from scratch...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 13>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 1:29pm
I would look into clearance issues between the housings. Not hard to do just set them side by side.
To me , this is just one more nail in the coffin for a high priced paper weight.The DUI sure look cool, but being towed back in because of Dizzy problems hurts the EGO..............
Just have not seen enough "Bling" from the DUI to force me to remove my Mallory and swing for a new DUI..............Boat dr
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 1:24pm
try appling a little grease to the gear before assembly if you didn't before, but pretty hard to mess up the gear unless it wasn't heat treated properly from an install point of view, it's either seated or it's not. So the only thing to go wrong is the meshing if the gear's and the grind's do not match up right, a run-out issue, or a poorly manufactured gear.

Maybe the DUI cut a few more corners than thought.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joe, a roller cam will require a different dist gear correct? I presume its harder than a FT gear?

Harder perhaps but mostly different, you cant use a cast gear which is why I dont have an extra, the cast gears caused all kinds of trouble. After cast gears they used bronze which worked but didnt provide long enough life for street applications, so they went with steel or melonized gears...

I will talk to both companies today (cam research and DUI) and make sure I have what I need but this was the same gear (supposedly melonized) that I ordered to use with the comp cams roller that was in there.

I did not take the care installing this Dist that I should have I treated it like I would putting a known dist back in a known engine. It was however a known engine with a new cam and I should have checked to see that the proper play was there after I tightened it down. I had lube on the cam gear when I put it in but not on the distributor when i stabbed it months later, and last but not least I didnt prime the pump.

I found out about 4 miles into day two that my dist was loose, and thats either because I didnt get it tight enough when I was setting the timing, or because I tightened it down and it was bottoming out on the gear not on the dist base. None of this explains why one side of the gear was wearing way more than the other but it was a lot of nonsense on muy part. Hopefully the cause of my failure. I also have pretty high oil pressure but always have with this engine at least according to the stock guage and the oil pressure sender that it came to me with.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 11:58am
Joe, a roller cam will require a different dist gear correct? I presume its harder than a FT gear?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 10:23am
its pretty hard to bust some gears on those especially all in line, definitely check the runout on the end of the dis shaft to see if you have a problem there
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 3:40am
Well it ended up being a little deeper than a simple electrical issue. I was right that it wasnt getting a spark, however what I didnt notice in the dark but did very quickly during the day due to my clear dist cap is that the rotor wasnt turning. I pulled the dist to find this sucker missing some teeth...

And as a steel gear or bronze gear for a ford 351 dist is pretty much unobtanium in Auburn NY on the weekend that was about it for that boat this weekend although she did get one final cruise courtesy of my father and his trusty 1961 40 super sea horse and 1965 mirrocraft...

Our pace however was not blistering...

As to the prognosis... the gear on the cam looks fine. The oil pump turns freely and pumps. I suspect this was installation error, I think a new gear and little care on the install will have me up and running again assuming the teeth have found thier way to the oil pan and arent planning to cause any trouble
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 1:46pm
Joe, I'll be looking forward to seeing the boat at GL 09!! Fantastic job.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 10:38am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

So I take her out tonight, wakeboarding a couple hours two of us basically, a few good speed runs, break 5200 rpms a couple times, all basically well. We load it up 6 of us down to the restuarant at the end of the lake, great time.   Driving back she dies quick and certainly, end up needing to call in a tow from one of my friends on the boats little sister, not a big deal it was a nice night on the water, but funny to run 2.5 hours on the meter then be an issue. I would bet good money its the DUI, I still have fuel pressure and it sounds alright turning over, still a great night but shes messing with me...

had the same deal happen to me after my rebuild me and my buddy chuck are over on the other lake and the new coil goes down, pissed me off big time after being towed back to the marina by a jet ski, got a stock coil to get is back then bought the big coil after that and problem solved.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 10:12am
Davis Unified Ignition is taking a beating lately...sorry about your luck.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:02am
Looks great Joe!
You must be thrilled to have it back on the water after all the work you put into it.
Can't wait to check it out at LG.
Congrats!
-Brad
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 6:46am
Great Job Joe, keep the post going as we will miss it.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 3:24am
So I take her out tonight, wakeboarding a couple hours two of us basically, a few good speed runs, break 5200 rpms a couple times, all basically well. We load it up 6 of us down to the restuarant at the end of the lake, great time.   Driving back she dies quick and certainly, end up needing to call in a tow from one of my friends on the boats little sister, not a big deal it was a nice night on the water, but funny to run 2.5 hours on the meter then be an issue. I would bet good money its the DUI, I still have fuel pressure and it sounds alright turning over, still a great night but shes messing with me...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 12:00am
Joe - You set the bar pretty high. I hope to see it some day. Way to go dude!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 7:21pm
The nitrous "button" is actually a micro switch on the carb that engages at full throttle, there is an arming switch and currently that mounts in the battery/nitrous compartment both to make wiring easy and because I have to open up the compartment and turn the handle on the bottle anyway. I might add something more trick someday because the nitrous setup is mostly for looks anyway so I might as well advertise it. Next year I would like to add a purge kit, I didnt put one on this year because I couldnt think of a good place to vent it but now I think it would work and be cool if it vented out the back blower vent and thats actually pretty easy to route. With nitrous at 60 dollars a bottle and a bottle lasting about 3 minutes of use thats about a dollar for 3 seconds, not exactly a daily occurrence.

As for being in newer Nautiques, I was lucky enough to be in and drive Quinners Boat quite a bit at grean lake but somehow I didnt hear the transmission over the Kid Rock so whether mine is normal or not I dont know but its not loud.

The fuel pump is currently lagged to the stringer under the fuel tank with a hard aluminum line to the fuel separator I am sure there is some way to isolate it a bit, if not I may step back from the Black pump to a blue.

Brian knows my boat is no more Plastic than his..

David I am about an hour from Rochester and only 15 minutes out of the way, jump off the thruway at weedsport drive south about 10 miles and you cant miss me, I am always up for hosting a CCFAN. The real question is are you bringing that beautiful Skier to LG

Alan you can give the Nitrous report after some first hand experience. I am not going to try that till LG, have to actually do some skiing and boarding on this thing between now and then. But the last day of LG the top of the tower/speakers will come off, the mufflers come off, and the timing gets set back and we see about some excessive power turns as well as what a dollars worth of nitrous every three seconds buys you.

Everyone thanks for the kind words, I assure you it isnt perfect in person and its not nearly done but I am pretty happy with it so far. Its nicer than any of my previous efforts and much of that is due to the advice and inspiration provide by you all at ccfan. I always think that I should put my 67 and 83 side by side and label the picture Before CCFAN and After CCFAN. (Of course to be fair there there have been some negative effects of all this inspiration to my checkbook).

I had a lot of fun with some of the more minor things like the motor box mod, or having to weld the hole I put in my intake manifold and although each one added days to the completion of the project I do enjoy the project aspect of it...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:11pm
Maybe the go fast button could be James Bondish? A flip top throttle knob or a panel that drops from behind the dash?   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:08pm
Super project Joe! I'm looking forward to seeing it in person someday.

How do you think the weight comparison came out with the coosa minus the new equipment? How does the hull sound/feel?

Again, heckuva job and great documentation for others to consider!
1988 BFN-sold

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:55pm
Joe, I've been watching your project from the beginning, its been great to see the attention to detail that you put into the boat. It seems like you can tackle pretty much anything and make it look nearly perfect. Congrats on getting the boat on the water, I look forward to more pics and hopefully a video or 2 of it in action. Great Job!

I travel upstate NY fairly often, if I'm headed to Rochester I'll drop you a note and see if I can get a ride.

David
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:54pm
Congratulations on a great project Joe. Its always fun to see these things through from total tear down to finished product. Well done. Looking forward to seeing it at LG.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:41pm
kewl
might have to rubber-isolate the fuel pump mount.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

The boat sounds completely different.. the main noise is the fuel pump you wouldnt believe how loud it is. The transmission is different but mainly the boat is quieter yet again, must be the cam change I still plan to run it without the mufflers sometime, probably at Lake George one of the days but with the mufflers I feel this boat is quieter than stock for some reason.

Joe, I assume youve been in enough newer Nautiques with the 1.23 to recognize the characteristic whine? The early 1.23's were the loudest since they didnt start adding motorbox insulation until the mid 90's.

Performance-wise, I imagine you'll be seeing low-mid 50's without any problem at all. You were breaking 50 before the new cam/exhaust/tranny, right? I bet it hauls.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Ski Plastique rides again. Congratulations on getting her into the water. BKH

Composite material really isn't plastic but then it sounds bad too, how about Ski Epoxique, or maybe better yet SKI FENNESSIQUE that flows pretty well of the tongue?

but then maybe BARE FENNESSIQUE would be model correct?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:08pm
Ski Plastique rides again. Congratulations on getting her into the water. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Joe needs a "go baby go" button on the Morse.

where did you end up mounting the fog button?

Looks a whole lot better than the last time I saw it in person with the old plywood motor box, sure has came a long way, and it looks like there's a new big dog on the porch.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:50pm
It was a decent cruise, don't have a GPS... I dont think I want to know how slow it is. I still havent been able to get the headers tight enough so I had a dog house full of exhaust doubt thats effecting my speed much but I got to get that fixed before I get into fine tuning.

It feels like a completely different boat, its rock solid the floor and the tower have no flex.

The boat sounds completely different.. the main noise is the fuel pump you wouldnt believe how loud it is. The transmission is different but mainly the boat is quieter yet again, must be the cam change I still plan to run it without the mufflers sometime, probably at Lake George one of the days but with the mufflers I feel this boat is quieter than stock for some reason.

Performance, not bad for out of the box it gets up to about 5180 rpm with this prop with tuning I hope to improve that a bit and really I should be another 300 rpm lower for max hp I don't have another 500 in the budget for a prop this year and don't plan on taking this one off to have more cup added till the snow flies so I will just have to work with this prop for now. I assume its breaking 50. It pulls pretty hard getting there but mostly we just went on a shakedown cruise I didn't drive it much.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:48pm
Joe needs a "go baby go" button on the Morse.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:37pm
Long road Joe but absolutely awesome work. Can't wait for the Nitrous report.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:36pm
Heres to you Joe.

This has been one of the most enjoyable and educational threads on the site and it is great to see it come to a successful major milestone.

It looks great and I'm sure it goes and feels fantastic as well.

NOW GET OUT THERE AND RIDE!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:36pm
comon comon givitup givitup givitup

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:25pm
Joe, glad the shakedown cruise was a success! You bring the GPS? How did she feel?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:15pm
As luck would have it I did not remember a camera last night so all I have is some fuzzy cell phone pics but its was in the water and it was a nice ride....

Test run at the launch

She runs,

Rachael at the helm

Greg holding down the back seat

Fuzzy but you get the idea

Riding off into the sunset

After the return she goes back on the trailer, need to have the cover modified for the tower before she can be left on the Shorestation

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 13>
  Share Topic