NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Spraying Techniques

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
Author
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2006 at 7:26pm
When applying the gel, is it all done in one 22 mil thick spray?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2006 at 11:06am
if you can find a shulz (im not sure of the spelling) its used for spraying thicker viscosity liquids, I use this type of gun for spraying undercoatings and bedliners and I'll even mix resin and spray it that way but you do have to clean the gun in a hurry
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2006 at 7:12am
Skibum, The spray gun isn't anthing special but it does have to be set up for the gel coat. The fluid tip, nozzel, air cap, etc, needs to be the correct combination for the viscoscity. A gravity feed gun can be used but the problem with this type is it doesn't hold much material so you need to refill it offen. A 2 quart pressure feed gun with remote cup is better. A siphon feed gun can be used but the gel needs to be reduced so much and the air pressure real high to get it through the gun that I wouln't recommend it. The film thickness will be recomended by the gel manufacturer and how much the gel has been reduced but generally is greater than 22 mils. There are film thicness gauges available to check it. If you haven't sprayed much, this is not a job that I would recomend you practice on. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2006 at 10:41am
What type of sprayer should I use to apply gel over a large area of the boat? I'll guess and say not an automotive sprayer.

How do I make sure it is the right thickness? Can I apply several thin coats or does it need to be all in one spray?

Worse yet, is this something that can only be done at a boat yard because of the extensive amount of equipment and experience required?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
  Share Topic