NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is the alternator chargeing the battery

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the alternator chargeing the battery
    Posted: April-02-2008 at 10:40pm
Chris you are spot on with the voltage range. Depeding on brand, Prestolite or GM or Motorola it could be as low as 13.8 or as high as 14.2.
Most 10 SI GM's will charge at 14.2 @ 3000 rpm's any higher than 14.5 will start to evaporate the water really fast......Boat dr

Most dash mounted guages are very vauge as to the accuracy of the voltage, this is where a good Fluke DVOM will earn it's keep...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 10:32pm
should be about 13-14 volts, and with the age it's really a good time to upgrade.
tjeffery72Mus. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 7:52pm
No sulfur, the battery is good, I had napa check it for me. I think I might just change the regulator just to be sure... Other than that I know 15 is high, is normal like 12 or something, as far as the amps dropping off, it didnt do that. But I also didnt have it running any longer than 5 minutes. I did this check in my driveway with the water running.
The Guy.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 2:53pm
15 volts is high something isn't right and with the amp reading over 40 or at that then your going to bake the battery internally. bet you have a little sulfur smell too.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 8:05am
Tom, Did your friend do anything to the regulator? If the amps don't drop of after running for awhile like I mentioned, then do a load test to check the condition of the battery. If the battery is good, then it's the regulator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 12:27am
Ok so my friend Joe came over with this electronic locking thing almost like a multimeter, and he told me that the alternator was putting out 15 volts to the battery. So from what I can tell everything is fine!!!! Im almost ready to wakeboard.
The Guy.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 10:17pm
right Ok...
The Guy.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:59pm
Tom, It's the little (black?) box that 3 wires from the alternator go to. You can see it pictured in the wiring diagram I posted for you. In our Ref. section, you should be able to find some instructions on it in one of the older engine manuals.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:53pm
is it the orginal charging system? if so it's located on the back of the motor by the curcuit breaker.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:40pm
yeah the rpm is really effecting it and thats kinda bothering me, Ok and being such a noob im not sure where the regulator is, lets say I had the alternator hooked up wrong, would anything happen at all???
The Guy.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 11:19am
actuall that reading is a little high and maybe the regulator needs looked at, but if the battery is really drained then that reading is fine for a short period but the rpm shouldn't be effecting the reading that much.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 7:43am
Tom, Sounds good to me! Now, depending on the condition of the battery, the amps should taper off to near zero with no load after about 10 to 15 minutes of running.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 2:54am
Now I know I have bugged you guys enough about alternators but now that I know mine works, how do I know that it is chargeing the battery. When I start the boat it seems to be makeing an impact on the battery because when I throttle it up to like 4k the amp gauge goes all the way to full, and when it is idleing it stays right at 40.Any input???
The Guy.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic