NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’83 Nautique Stringer/ Floor Job !!??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’83 Nautique Stringer/ Floor Job !!??
    Posted: April-07-2008 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

OK, How high is the mast and how many sq. ft. of sail is he planning?

Pete, I liked that one

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:13am
Lance, Polyvinyl I feel sits right between epoxy and polyester in both water moisture and strength. Most costs in a project like this are man hours so for a little extra material cost of the epoxy I would go for it. One caution thought. Gel will not stick to epoxy but vinyl will so many times the epoxy is skipped or the added step of a coat of vinyl is needed. This may be your sailboat re builder reason for going with the vinyl.

OK, How high is the mast and how many sq. ft. of sail is he planning?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 9:32am
Sweetwater Lumber is west of atlanta and where I got mine. They are a sharp outfit but would be quite a drive for you. Maybe they have a regular customer in your area and could add it to a load? They might be able to refer you to someone closer...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
lancef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 3:34am
After about 35 combined hours of me and my brother working on the boat, we are to here:

I have spent countless hours reading all the discussions on here (like Skibum's book) and that made me feel a little better about digging into this project. Without this board, I would have probably never attempted this project.

I am still not 100% sure about how I am going to go about getting my boat back in the water as I am still struggling with a few questions on materials to use. I actually have a guy that builds and repairs sailboats professionaly that is going to do the glassing for me. He is going to use whatever I want but said that he always uses poly and vinyl resins. he said that he will put a gelcoat on the finsihed floor/bilge and even said that if I want to do away with carpet, or do a snap in system, he can get the gelcoated floor to look and serve as a finished topcoat.

A few questions for some of you.

1. I know epoxy is the best way to go, but I have seen nothing on here about vinyl resin. The US Composite web site has it and says it is far superior to poly. Is this hygroscopic also like poly or is it just as bad?

2. If I ok the expert help using vinyl resin and putting a gelcoat over everything, would this be close to as good as using epoxy and not gelcoating?

3. This should probably be my first question, but anyway, I am near Gainesville, Fl and can not find any local dealer that sells Douglas Fir to make my stringers out of. I have tried places like Home Depot, West Marine, 84 Lumber.) Does anyone know where I can get this type of wood from, or another alternative wood for here in the South?

I could probably go on with more questions, but I do not want to write a book...yet!!

Thanks for the help and time,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic