NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut Bushing Replacement AKA PITA

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut Bushing Replacement AKA PITA
    Posted: April-09-2008 at 2:55pm
Exactly the info I needed 79. Gracias.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Then came the rudder- the packing is so tight that it took about a half hour of wiggling the rudder back and fourth to get it out.

I'm not going back to read the whole thread again so if I repeat something all ready said DEAL WITH KEVIN.

Joel, just turn the hammer sideways and hit it on the side of hammer, your just tapping it anyway so you don't need much throw to move it. If you have the dipples in the shaft and set screws just remove the set screws and look through the taped hole until the dipple is lined up with the hole and then stop and your good to go.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 1:22pm
Right-o. The issue is that there is not much space between the stuffing box (now dripless seal) and the trans coupler. It's a pretty small gap. If I screw this up and have to take the coupling off again, I'm pulling out the Sawzall.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Then came the rudder- the packing is so tight that it took about a half hour of wiggling the rudder back and fourth to get it out.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 12:37pm
If you remove the rudder then there is plenty of room to slide the shaft rearward to gain clearance between the tranny and coupling.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 12:33pm
This one I can't answer Joel. When I changed the bushings, I had the tranny out when my damper plate puked on me. I was able to slide the shaft forward enough to clear the strut and then replace the bushings. I figured I might as well do it everything while I had the tranny out so I wouldn't have to mess with the coupler. Someone else will have to respond to answer your question for sure.

By the way, I was amazed when I changed my bushings. I loosened up the set screws and both of them pulled right out with my fingers. The new ones slid in the same way and I just snugged up the set screws. It was super easy. The old bushings still looked pretty good too considering they had about 700 hrs. on them. They could have certainly gone for a while yet.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:51am
Excellent. I have another question though- when I heat the coupling up and chill down the shaft, how easily is it going to slide back on? How do you avoid sliding it too far down the shaft? And, if I need to beat it with a hammer a bit, how will I make room between the trans and the coupling to swing a hammer? Seems pretty tight in there!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:32am
I just put new bushings in last fall. the old ones were flush on both ends so I put the new ones in flush on both ends.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:31am
yes flush on the ends
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:22am
Ok, the old bushings are out and the new bushings are in. Turns out you can kinda "feel" when the hacksaw gets through them because the resistance increases on the blade as it gets through that last couple thousandths of brass.

I was practically giddy as I used the threaded rod w/fender washers trick to press the new bushings in. That basic gadget worked wonders and was a nice contrast to the rest of the project.

I have a quick question though- the factory bushings were flush on the stern-facing end of the strut and inset about 1/2 or 3/4 inch inside on the leading or bow-facing side of the strut. Should I inset the replacement bushing on the forward side or does everyone typically leave them flush on both ends?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Did you get the XPC bushings direct from OJ?

Yep. If you're interested just call them up and they will take care of you.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 12:24pm
Did you get the XPC bushings direct from OJ?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 2:06am
My boat didnt mind a little tapping at all . As a matter of fact I think it liked it better than the log .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

M3, Did it really need to be replaced? Your boat's pretty new isn't it?

I could probably go another 5 years and it would be fine. There's actually plenty of meat left on the old bushings but they are worn unevenly. The boat drives like a dream but I was able to wiggle the prop shaft up and down, as in there was up and down play in the strut bushings. To me, it was an opportunity for a project, plus I thought I'd do the dripless shaft seal too so that was an added bonus. Of course, my old packing made a ridge in the shaft so I'll have to position the lip of the new seal on unmolested metal. The up and down play in the shaft, as minute as it was, was enough for me to start up a new spring project. I had no idea what a PITA this would be- it's not that I bit off more than I can chew but I bit off more than I want to chew at this point in time!

Maybe I'll try that socket/extension tapping trick. I just don't want to beat the strut too much, although I guess it typically harnesses ~400 ft/lbs of rotational torque so it's probably not going to mind a little tapping.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 12:45am
I usually get my 1/2 inch Craftsman socket set and get the one that fits closest , put an exstention into the opposite end you would normaly. Then tap it out .

The reason I say Craftsman is , that they dont ask questions when you take back a tool that has been hammered on . To get it replaced free of charge .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 10:18pm
M3, Did it really need to be replaced? Your boat's pretty new isn't it?
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 9:54pm
just picked mine up from the dealer wednesday, he charged me 60 for the bushing and 45 for labor, don't know if thats good or bad. I'm sure he used a press though, because he gave me the old one back still intact. Maybe that will give you a ball park if you decide to go that rought.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 8:42pm
I've successfully removed one bushing, the rear-most one. The forward bushing is a whole other ballgame. I have to saw diagonally down, lying on the ground under the boat in an extremely uncomfortable position. There is very little "meat" on this end of the strut since the outside of the strut is actually tapered, or bullet-shaped (which is pretty neat in itself). To top it off, the bushing on this end is inset about 3/4 inch into the strut so I can't get to the lip of the bushing to pry it up. I actually had to throw in the towel on this one after over an hour of sawing. What a PITA! Never again. If I ever have to do this again, it's going right to the dealer!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 6:33pm
usually at times I have gone into the strut with the sawzall, at times....everytime, you will see the bushing seperate when you go thru and not to worry if you touch a bit, they have alot of meat and to pull in the new bushing i will use all-thread and washers, once in a while hanging under a boat if you heat the strut they will slide in and a very light tap with a tapping instrument will send them home, tap means tap,
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joel, It's really not any different than working on a car. Frustrating at times and things never seem to go as planned! Actually it is easier than a car or truck. When I'm stuck working on ether,(car or truck) I always remember to precut my hands and prebust my knuckles!!

The cutlass doesn't have to be cut completely. Once you get it almost cut, a punch can be used to curl up the bearing inside it's self. grab it with some needle nose vice grips, twist and pull. You need to keep your mind on skiing and boating while working too. It will help!

Ok, so some tapping with the punch to curl itself in won't hurt the strut?

Also, the strut is Nibral and the bushing is brass so they look nearly identical when trying to gauge how deeply I've cut.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 3:54pm
I've not used that meathod either, but I feel your pain! Do you have an old one or a friend who does? If you could find that or something else that is the same size, maybe try tapping it out? You may be past that, but it has worked well for me. It'll still take patience though...tap on 1 side then the other till it comes loose.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 3:53pm
Joel, It's really not any different than working on a car. Frustrating at times and things never seem to go as planned! Actually it is easier than a car or truck. When I'm stuck working on ether,(car or truck) I always remember to precut my hands and prebust my knuckles!!

The cutlass doesn't have to be cut completely. Once you get it almost cut, a punch can be used to curl up the bearing inside it's self. grab it with some needle nose vice grips, twist and pull. You need to keep your mind on skiing and boating while working too. It will help!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:59pm
Joel, I've never used this method of removing the strut but I would think that you could look at the bearing at one end and then the other to see if you have cut through yet..... instead of trying to look all the way through it from just one end. You may need a mirror to see the front end. This is just an idea....I haven't tried it for myself yet. Also, sense the bearing sleeve is brass and the strut is stainless, I would think you could tell (within reason) when you are through the bearing. Brass cuts much much much easier than stainless so you should be able to get through it relatively quickly.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:26pm
My strut bushing swap to XPC bushings and an XPC Shaft Seal has actually hit my limit of what I would consider "fun" working on the boat. It's miserable. It took me several hours of turning wrenches to extrude my single-taper shaft from the coupling, even stripping out bolts in the process as it fought me so hard. Multiple trips to Ace Hardware ensued. Finally, I got that part separated. Then came the rudder- the packing is so tight that it took about a half hour of wiggling the rudder back and fourth to get it out. I couldn't loosen the rudder packing nuts because they were locked together so tight I thought I'd break the housing off if I turned the wrench any harder.

Now, I'm on the final "middle finger" from the boat, trying to hacksaw out these strut bushings. The technique sounded peachy in all of the posts I read about it but it's a total nightmare in reality. It's near impossible to see how deeply you are cutting into the bushings, as each one is a mega 3" long and looking at the cut brass looks exactly like the strut, so I don't know when to stop cutting. The human eye can only see so far into a tube to check the progress. Anything to look out for in this process that might help me along? I'm completely at the end of my rope with these ***************g bushings. I'm trying to pry a cut corner of them out with a punch and I just don't like banging on the strut to any degree. Help.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic