NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RWP Flow Direction

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RWP Flow Direction
    Posted: July-19-2008 at 10:53am
Originally posted by saffer saffer wrote:

there are no trout where i live!!
and the impeller, no problem which way the fins go when installed as they will "auto correct"?

I think Eric was referring to a different species of trout!!

Yes, the impeller blades will correct themselves but It's better to install them in the proper direction first instead of forcing them backwards over themselves. It is a severe flexing of the rubber.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 11:56pm
there are no trout where i live!!
and the impeller, no problem which way the fins go when installed as they will "auto correct"?
mndanielsncsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 6:09pm
Not a bad call TRBenj, I think I'll do that tonight actually. Thanks for the great info... I was stressing about putting the pump on backwards.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 5:01pm
sorry, my bad.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 4:58pm
Phospher, youre mucking up this discussion and you dont even have a PCM???

Matt, youve got it correct. You have a LH engine- which means it will turn counterclockwise when viewed from the rear. Your pullies will spin clockwise when viewed from the front. The screw head will be on the motor side, just like my '90.

Note the arrow that I drew on my pump. After a long winter, it reminds me which side goes up AND which way it spins. You may want to add something similar.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 4:54pm
that is a nice looking engine. i need to get me one of those how much??

my water pump is on the other side of the engine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 4:52pm
Alright, so just to confirm... the screw head should be on the motor side of the pump and it's a LH turn motor if looking from rear of the motor forward, right?

Thanks for all of the responses.

-Matt
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

ahh, my bad. i was thinking what side the screw was on, not what side the screw was facing.

I think youre still confused.

Alan's RH engine (screw is out):

My LH engine (screw is in):

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 4:16pm
ahh, my bad. i was thinking what side the screw was on, not what side the screw was facing.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 4:04pm
hmm, i must have been mistaken then. i'll have to take another look when i get home. i could have sworn that the screw faced out on my left hand engine.
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 3:21pm
I dug through my stuff and found the installation instructions for the Impeller. It says on the RH engines the screw faces out (away from the engine) on the LH it faces in. So on mndanielsncsu's boat it should be toward the motor.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:51pm

maybe you can tell me(cause i'm not sure)? my prop is a LH prop.

All 1:1 trannies spin the same direction as the engine- so LH motors spin LH props. Only the 1.23 guys get LH motors that mate to RH props.

From the pictures I have, I believe the screw faces in on the LH motors, and out on the RH. Can anyone else confirm?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:35pm
Oh No!
Haven't heard this discussion before.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:31pm
maybe you can tell me(cause i'm not sure)? my prop is a LH prop.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:27pm

I have an 82' 351W and I have an newer sherwood pump too. The flat head screw faces away from the motor on my boat.

Phospher, do you have a RH or LH motor?

JD is right about the '93 Proboss being LH.

Id tell you which way the cam in the pump is supposed to face, but I dont remember. I mark my pump so I dont put it on backwards.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:09pm
I have an 82' 351W and I have an newer sherwood pump too. The flat head screw faces away from the motor on my boat.
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 1:58pm
I believe the screw should face the motor but I don't have my manual handy to verify that.

Your motor should be LH rotation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:31am
I made a rookie mistake today by not marking the flow direction on my raw water pump before removing it to replace the impeller. I have a 93 Sport Nautique with the PCM Pro-Boss GT-40. The pump is a Sherwood brand. There is a screw on one side of the pump, can some verify if it should face the engine or face away? I'm assuming this is the best way to determine if the pump is installed in the right direction. If there's an easier way to do this without cranking the motor, let me know.

Also, which direction does this motor turn (LH or RH)? It's a direct drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic