NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on Carburetor Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on Carburetor Rebuild
    Posted: May-06-2008 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

it was nothing personel Allen I just had a different experince and this topic comes up all of the time.

Hell can't even make general statements with out some ass jumping down my throat nowaday's

get the numbers off the carb and get a Holley marine kit, damn cry babies

So now I'm an ass for stating some simple facts and trying to have a discussion. You jumped first buddy so Cry baby my ass, the hell with you.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 7:04pm
Chris, he's got me by 10mph on the top end, no question. Holeshot should be close, but Im not conceding it until we line it up. My argument is that my engine should be a touch stronger- put it in a comparable hull and I like my chances. Its a moot point, I suppose, since the boats were built with very different purposes in mind.

You had me on the top end by a few MPH, but I beat you so bad out of the hole, it took you a half mile to catch up!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 6:57pm
Now Tim you really couldn't keep up with my boat yes beat mine out of the hole but mine had no problems running yours down quit easily as Marks Did as well. And My money is on the Doc's red tug has I did run some with him in the upper RPM range and it is quite strong so I would bring your favorite beverage to get the taste out of your mouth after you eat a little crow.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 6:25pm
Doc, we've been over this- I owned the blue boat out of the hole and you were nowhere to be found when we were running around on Sat. Motor for motor, I better be stronger than you- Ive got a lot more boat to push! No excuses here- we'll see how many footers it will pull in 5 weeks time. Im always after speed, but the boat was built to pull. Whether youre impressed or not makes no difference to me, but you didnt line up with me nor take it for a spin, so youre a little quick to pass judgement.

Unless Im mistaken, the 2.5 PV youve got in there now cleared up a midrange stumble, did it not? Im not saying I wouldnt benefit from a swap one way or the other, but Ive got no such symptoms to speak of.

Ive got 2 Holley marine kits and one PCM for various List numbers in my basement- Ill crack them open tonight and note the PV size, just for kicks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 6:24pm
it was nothing personel Allen I just had a different experince and this topic comes up all of the time.

Hell can't even make general statements with out some ass jumping down my throat nowaday's

get the numbers off the carb and get a Holley marine kit, damn cry babies
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 6:19pm

But Allen is that a marine Kit? looks like the auto version to me.

So maybe that is why you get the 2.5 PV instead of the 6.5 PV because when I bought my HOLLEY MARINE kit from Rex Marine it came with the 6.5 PV in the kit your not rebuilding a car's carb your building a boat's carb and they are set up differently.

Chris, I give, you win. I bought the damn kit from an inboard marine dealer so maybe I assumed it was a marine kit and it isn't. I don't really know and don't give a rats ass. If it's that big a deal to you give Skidim a call and ask them yourself.

Ps, I deleted a whole bunch of expletives , if you want them in person give me a call.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 6:08pm
Timmy remember I saw your puppy up north, sounded good but was not impressed , you knew better than try to run with the red boat or the blue one.
But knew to leave yours tied and get into a real Blue boat.........
Excuses go real fast..........boat dr

PCM has been using the 2.5 PV in all their kits for 5 yrs now. All their carbs are equiped the same also.
Mike at Holley says the same and if in doubt use a Vacuum gauge to find out your true reading and not speculate.
Better yet Timmy give Tech Line a call.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 5:42pm
But Allen is that a marine Kit? looks like the auto version to me.

So maybe that is why you get the 2.5 PV instead of the 6.5 PV because when I bought my HOLLEY MARINE kit from Rex Marine it came with the 6.5 PV in the kit your not rebuilding a car's carb your building a boat's carb and they are set up differently.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 5:04pm

well you realy should be pulling numbers from the carb and not going be the series type number to start with because you will have several variations to the series number and that is not specific enough when rebuilding the carb. So get the numbers off of the carb, figure out the correct Kit and Buy a Holley kit instead of the PCM kit as they are different kits and the quality of the Holley is much better.

You assume an aweful lot, I bought a Holley kit with the numbers from the horn, it had a 2.5 PV. I swapped to a 6.5, The carb is on another members boat and runs out fine to this day. First carb I ever rebuilt, it ain't rocket science.

The carb numbers for this kit are listed on skidims site.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 5:03pm
I got a Holley kit from Skidim for my 4160 and it came with a 2.5 PV.

I have not rebuilt my carb yet, hopefully in a few months.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 3:09pm

So get the numbers off of the carb, figure out the correct Kit and Buy a Holley kit

Chris is referring to the LIST number, and its located on the choke horn, FYI. Summit references their rebuild kits to the LIST number- if you dont see yours on their website, call the Holley tech line and they'll tell you which kit you need.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 3:07pm
Doc, it may be an assumption, but it is based on good theory. Greater flowing heads and intake = less vaccuum, and I didnt want the PV coming in late.

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

And back to my Wee motor , if the math is correct you motor is only 6.1 percent larger. And if my research on data is correct I make more HP and more torque than your motor.

Your memory may be good, but your math is suspect! With 20 more cubes, more compression, better flow (intake and heads), and RR's, I dont see how youve got me beat. You should just be thankful that my powerplant is pushing a 19.5' tank!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 3:00pm
well you realy should be pulling numbers from the carb and not going be the series type number to start with because you will have several variations to the series number and that is not specific enough when rebuilding the carb. So get the numbers off of the carb, figure out the correct Kit and Buy a Holley kit instead of the PCM kit as they are different kits and the quality of the Holley is much better.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 2:57pm
Timmy I got your WEE right here..If you have not done a plug check , you are assuming, and with that you have no idea of the correct PV. You are guessing what the cruise mixture actually is.
And back to my Wee motor , if the math is correct you motor is only 6.1 percent larger. And if my research on data is correct I make more HP and more torque than your motor.And the air flow is almost the same.All of this with a WEE motor.
But you know best Timmy , you have been on the site longer.........Boat dr

Doc, youre dealing with a wee 331 ci, which I assumed was the reason why the smaller PV worked better in the larger 600cfm carb. Im happy with the responsiveness and theres no indication that Im running rich- but youre right, a plug chop wouldnt hurt anything. Ill add it to my to-do list.[/QUOTE]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 2:29pm

the holley re-new kit that I bought had the 6.5 PV and that was based of the carb's numbers not the generic 4150 number.

The kit that comes from Skidim is for a 4160 not a 4150 and comes with the 2.5pv, they state it is stock rebuild for the 351, that's all I know.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 1:50pm
the holley re-new kit that I bought had the 6.5 PV and that was based of the carb's numbers not the generic 4150 number.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:40pm
Alan, thats interesting- believe I removed a 6.5 PV when I rebuilt mine. I replaced it with a 7.5.

Doc, youre dealing with a wee 331 ci, which I assumed was the reason why the smaller PV worked better in the larger 600cfm carb. Im happy with the responsiveness and theres no indication that Im running rich- but youre right, a plug chop wouldnt hurt anything. Ill add it to my to-do list.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 8:57am
I have to fill you guys in on LLS. He has a college degree in power mechanics and teaches the same. Now, I have seen plenty (most) of teachers who may do a good job at the actual teaching but when the time comes to get their hands dirty, it's a completely different story!! LLS is one of the exceptions!

Mark, What did you end up doing with your valve adjustment? You sort of left us hanging unless I missed something!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:23am
I will disagree on this ......
Have any of you that are praising the 6.5PV did a plug check? This is the only way to determine if there is an over rich condition caused by the power valve coming in too soon.
Just for giggles Tim try it, if the plugs show black what does this indicate????At 3.50 per gallon I will do any trick to slow down the needle drop in my boat.
After a plug check I was too rich, Holley said go to the 2.5 and see......Made a world of difference throughout the RPM range and added some rum time to the tank........
But then again just my engine and experiences I have had..........Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:10am
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I think the stock set-up uses a 2.5 PV

6.5 is usually the stock PV. The 2.5 has commonly been shipping with the SkiDIM rebuild kits, but the 6.5 is preferable in most cases.

Thanks for the correction Tim.

I'm not one to disagree with Tim but I think LLSkier is correct, although most agree the 6.5 is a better performer. I've torn 2 stock 4160s apart and both had a 2.5 PV inside, the rebuild kits do come with the 2.5 so I am "guessing" that is how they are outfitted originally. My rebuilds get a 6.5 for about $8.

LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

6.5 is usually the stock PV. The 2.5 has commonly been shipping with the SkiDIM rebuild kits, but the 6.5 is preferable in most cases.

Thanks for the correction Tim.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by pat86 pat86 wrote:

I played with the air mixture all last season to no effect.

Take the advice posted and verify the timing, the condition of the plugs and wires. Replace if necessary. Did you set the idle mixture when the engine was warmed up and in gear? That needs to be done.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 9:51am

LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 10:14pm
Another possibility is the power valve. The valve could be sticking or could be a bit too small. I think the stock set-up uses a 2.5 (vacuum needs to drop to 2.5"Hg before the PV opens) Many move to a 6.5 or greater. This gives a rich mixture earlier and could avoid the momentary lag you describe. Getting at the power valve is fairly easy....it sits in the metering body just behind the primary float bowl.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 9:42pm
Pat, Did you do the EI conversion? Was the timing checked? Take Chris's (79nautique) advice and check it. Do check the accel pump too as mentioned. Do the basics before rebuilding the carb. I take it you are set up to run the boat at home.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pat86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pat86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 7:55pm
Thanks all for the quick feedback. Here is what I know and what's been done so far. Bought the boat June 07. Used it last season and put about 50 hours on. I am pretty sure the boat sat in storage for a number of years but was always winterized every year. The previous owner always thought he would use it but.... It was tuned up last year and the electronic distributor added. I replaced the prop with the spare that I had reworked. In general the boat runs very well and does not stall, hestitate or skip etc under no load conditions and starts easily. It just seems to hestiate when pulling a big skier (boarder) 200lbs+ up, but not all the time. You begin to accererate and the motor just dies and then picks up before you can back off or any thing. I played with the air mixture all last season to no effect. We are teaching lots of new people how to ski and board it is very annoying. Do not want to get into the season without a fix so I am willing to some extent to shotgun the fix. I will replace plugs and wires this spring. I replaced the fuel filter last fall when I winterizied. I think it must be in the carb but I don't think I can be sure if I fixed the problem on the trailer because of the load problem. Is a carb rebuild a possible solution and if so has anybody had experience with the shops in my first post.
Pat 86/2001
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 1:42pm
mine started bogging the end of last year. after checking the accel pump and finding it ok, i backed off a little on my air mixture screws to fix. yeah, like these guy have said, try these easy and quick adjustments before going inside the carb.
bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 12:28pm
timing is the first thing I would check. The accel pump is easy just move the throttle at the carb and watch if it doesn't squirt emediately(sp) then adjust it untill it does it's a realy easy and quick adjustment to make.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 11:43am
Hows the tuneup on the boat? I would make sure everything else(plugs, wires, cap rotor,etc) is fine before jumping into the carb.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 11:10am
Pat, Wecome to the site. Glad you found us.

To me, it sounds like a accelerator pump issue in the carb and getting the whole thing rebuilt may be premature. Are you set up to run it at home on the trailer? Do you have any motor head friends?!!

The accelerator pump squirts some raw gas down the intake when you mash down the throttle. You can see it squirt with the flame arrestor removed from the top of the carb. I have seen the accelerator pump seal/packing gland dry out when a boat sits for extended times without gas in the carb. They can swell back up after a few days!! Has the boat been stored for any time?

I know that other members here will comment on the problem as well. We've got plenty of knowledgeable people!

Got to get us some pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic