NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dip stick correct?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dip stick correct?
    Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:48am
Mine's the same way - shows full at 4 quarts with new filter filled. Absolutely positive the pan was empty. I gave her the 5th quart for good luck!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 3:20pm
if you did start it and did change the filter then I question if you got all of the old stuff out. Did you drain it from the pan or suck it out through the dipstick?

Also you mentioned oil additive? was that in addition to 5 qts of oil? Thought with the rotex it wasn't needed, but if this is the case then you should have lessened the amount of oil by the volume of the additive.

worse comes to worse if it's over filled it's just going to blow out the breather until it's at the proper level. And if it's an older engine that bunrs a little oil anyway I wouldn't get overly excited about remove much of it, just clean the engine when you get home or before you go out the next time.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 1:25pm
Like Chris mentioned, did you change the filter too? Assuming that you did, did you start and run the engine after the oil change? The overfill condition will drop accordingly to fill the oil filter when you run the engine.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 12:36pm
so did we change the oil filter when you changed the oil? if not then it's reading right on the dipstick.

oil change is 5qt's when the filter is changed four quarts when the filter isn't change but then why wouldn't you change the filter at the begining of the season?
tjeffery72Mus. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 12:48am
My boat has the same thing, the person that owned it before me made a mark at that 3/4 over spot, so when I have changed the oil I have gone to that mark and it has run fine.
The Guy.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 12:03am
tyler, I just used the search feature on the site and put in "oil level" several threads came up but here's one that I'm providing a link for so you can read it. oil level

Lots of information and lots knowledgeable people here. Glad you found us. Welcome

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tyler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 4:30pm
I just finished an oil change on my 81 natuque 351W following the suggestions on this great site, Shell rotex and oil additive, total oil added was 5qt (4.7l) with the boat leved on the trailer, the dip stick reads approx 3/4" over full! should I drain the oil out till the level is at the full mark on the dip stick? or just be o.k with it reading hi knowing I added the 5qts required. add yes I did drain the old oil out.
sweet nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic