NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

strut removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strut removal
    Posted: May-04-2008 at 9:39pm
Pete, you spoiled the FUN.Years ago I pulled a "CAP" to do a transom job. Had no one to tell me "DONT DO THAT".......
Replacing the transom then, was a simple straight forward job, now the rest of the story... BAD MOVE......
Took more time to put the "CAP" on than the transom job....I had wondered why at the Ranger factory they placed the Top Cap before they pulled the hull from the mold,DUHHHHH
I think every one should do some of my DUMB SH#T at least once.......Boat dr
clarkebar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkebar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 8:12pm
The screws that are striped are the ones that hold the deck to the gunnel. There are only just a couple that are striped. I will plan on flipping the boat with the deck in place.
thanks for the input.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 7:14pm
Eric, I would leave the top on the boat unless you add some bracing from gunnel to gunnel. The top of the hull relies on the deck for support.
These stripped screws you have, are they the ones that go through the rub rail? If so, I don't feel they really do much holding the deck to the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
clarkebar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkebar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 10:36am
Thanks for all the advice. I have had a few camera issues lately but will post the pictures soon. I have a few broken and striped screws on the top have of the boat where the top is secured to the hull. I think I need to pull the top half off and check the wood for replacement or repair. any thoughts on this procedure? Flip boat with top on or off?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 8:42am
Eric, yes...some pics please; sounds like you're gettin after it!

I pushed a hardwood wedge in behind my exhaust fittings and cut around with an exacto knife...slow and easy.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 2:12am
Eric, I like the name "Lamp post boat". If you'd said 62 classic I would not have known which boat you'd be talking about.I still remember those pic's.You have made great progress so far. My strut was bent also,a good prop shop should have no trouble repairing it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 11:54pm
Eric, Unless someone has had the strut or the exhaust trim off and put them back on with a adhesive sealant like 5200 they should come off fairly easy. I would take a heat gun like you would use to strip paint. Heat them up to the point that you can't hold your hand on them. The strut should pop off with a blow from a rubber mallet. The trim rings you'll need to get a chisel under a edge to pry off.

If for some reason there is 5200 under them, then they need to be hot wired off. Not hard to do with a car battery or HD battery charger and a length of nichrome or SS welding (mig) wire.

When are you going to get us some pictures?? Sounds like you a making progress!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 11:52pm
I just cut through the sealant with a utility knife, & it popped right off with a little prying. Use a thin pc of wood so you don't chip your gel coat.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
clarkebar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkebar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 10:20pm
Just a brief update on the lamp post boat (62 Classic). I have replaced the stringers and have 90% of the gel coat removed. I am about to flip the boat and start the bottom. I have removed the prop and shaft. The shaft did not turn freely and upon further inspection I noticed the strut was bent a little. What is the best way to remove the strut after removing the bolts? This goes for the trim rings around the exhaust pipes as well. Thanks for the help. Eric
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic