NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder Gland nut adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder Gland nut adjustment
    Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:40am
I welded up a special wrench & was able to break the tranny mount lock nuts loose. I got the coupler alignment to less than .002 - I'm happy!

Unfortunately, during my zeal for perfection, I lost track of how may turns I gave each tranny mount screw. They are both loaded but one turns a little easier than the other - I think just from friction. Is this a big deal to not have them totally balanced? Maybe I can just verify by measuring to the engine cradle?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 10:58am
Thanks Pete. With the new packing material it is hards to tell where to stop with the gland nut adjustment. I'll see if it leaks - if not it is good!

My tranny mount must be different than yours - the big locknut bottoms against the clevis arm, both are trapped between the casting & tranny. The adjustment is via the screw extending to a square drive on top. They could have put the lock nut on top, but that would have made it way to easy.

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 10:08am
Chris, The up and down position on the rudder is quite sloppy. It sounds like you have got it. The antiseize on the washer won't hurt but the washer really doesn't come into play until the packing gets real bad. Since the rudder is non rotating, the gland can be really tightened down. It will hold the rudder in position by itself.

The bottom big nut can usually be turned by hand once the top nut is loose. (if I'm thinking about the same nut) Get a jack under the engine and take the pressure off the nut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 9:16am
Got the rudder on last night - getting closer to a running boat!

I assume that the Rudder's packing gland nut should be tightened down to provide about 1/16 in. vertical clearance of the rudder. Can someone confirm this? I also am going to put some antisieze on the thrust washer - good idea? I slathered the rudder shaft with antisieze.

It's been 3 months since I dis-assembled it so I am a little foggy as to exactly how it was originally.

I also am having a challenge getting the lock nut on the transmission mount adjustment loose. This apparently was designed by Marquis De Sade.

Any tips on how to get this loose without buying a 1-1/2 crowsfoot ($50 at Sears)?

Unless I think of something else, I am going to pull the entire mount of the tranny, but just to do that I will have grind down a socket for the lower bolt.

Thanks

Chris

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic