NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pylon replacement? Removable floor?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pylon replacement? Removable floor?
    Posted: May-09-2008 at 8:44pm
Hilton, Fantastic news!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 4:26pm
Pete just wanted to give you an update.

I drilled four holes (1 inch) evenly spaced on each side, near the edge/hull.

All 8 eight holes were clean wood below.

Thanks for pushing for me to check, now I have more piece of mind that I won't be ripping back into the boat in a few years.
livin', lovin', lovin' livin'
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 4:43pm
This is how I see it for the floor behind the dog house. If you are not overly concerned about seams in the carpet then go for the removable floor. You should be able to hide the screws.

I plan on a removable and I will also be replacing the see-thru round plastic hatch. This will provide me the abilty to quickly and easily check things out (see-thru) or remove the floor if I need to have complete access (for exhaust, steering, shaft issues, etc...).

My battery compartment has a carpeted piece of wood. My friends 81 SN has a pretty slick aluminum wrapped piece of carpeted wood. On his it pops down snuggly to be flush with the floor and the aluminum flange keeps it from falling in the compartment. Not sure which is original, but I may try to hunt for the latter when I replace.
va-river-tique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote va-river-tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 4:27pm
Hello,

I was just getting ready to ask a question about the rear floor hatch and saw this post. I'm in the process of removing my engine/tranny for my fiberglass man to completely re-do my stringers and floor in my 77 Ski Tique and was wondering how the floor looked from the factory as my floors and carpet were mostly removed when I bought the boat a couple months ago.

My fiberglass man is asking how I want the floor behind the motor box and if I want it to be removable for easy access if needed. I've seen pics on CC fan (brochure) and also from natique skins but they seem different, one pic has one of those 8 inch round hatches and the other seems to have a removable section behind the motor box between the 2 primary stringers.

Also, what did the battery compartment between the 2 front seats have for a top/lid? Was it a piece of wood with carpet on top of it?

If anyone has pics of what the floors looks like, I'd love to see them.

thanks in advance,
Patrick
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 3:21pm
Thanks.

No plans for Green Lake. My boat is too ugly to be seen by fans at this point.
Maybe in another year or two when it is presentable (new glass). By this summer she should be a tip top engine and pretty on the inside, but she will still be plenty ugly on the outside. Similar to a girl I knew of the same description , she is not the sorts that you show off to friends, but she is lots of fun to ride!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:57pm
The cross member isn't a bad idea but on the other hand I've never seen or heard of the original failing. My Tique does have a 2x8 under the floor but my stringer job was done by the PO. I haven't stuck my head down on any other boats of that era! If you do add the cross member, pre glass it before the install so you don't need to stand on your head and work on the bottom side up side down!!

Are you planning on Green Lake this summer?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:55pm
oh yeah I also wanted to mention that the boat only has 420 hours on it now, ~30 were put on by me. So hopefully its lack of use means positive things.

However, I really think it spent many hours just floating (hence the blistering-- which now makes more sense since water can actually seep in)

I guess I will just have to wait till tonight, when the drilling will hopefully calm my nerves.
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:45pm
OK, cup is good, so that will be the positive I think about thoughout the day until I can get home and drill some new exploration holes.

What are your ideas on installing a crossmember? cons that I am not considering? It would mean removing the top 1-1/2 inch of each primary for a 5-1/2 length in order to recess a new crossmember in place, but I don't think this would sacrafice any strength of the primaries. I think the crossmember would actually add some good structural support for that front section of the boat, provide some added support for the pylon, and also provide some extra support for that front section of plywood ro rest on. I would probably glass in the stringer cut outs and glass the crossmember separately and then install the glassed crossmember and glass everything together (hence glassing over the screws I use to install the crossmember).

ideas?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:17pm
Hilton, Being a engineer, I'm a pessimist as most engineers are and always on the cautious side. Just covering all the bases before getting into trouble! Drill the extra holes and take a look. If the wood looks good, proceed and don't worry about moisture too much.

CC certainly didn't intentionally leave voids or holes in the glass. They just didn't take the time and do the detailing we do on a re stringer job.

The pin I reffered to is the pin in the bottom of the aluminum pylon. It simply sits in the cup glassed in at the keel. There isn't a cross drilled pin. If your cup is in the good shape you have mentioned, then I will have to say this boat hasn't seen too much water. That's a good sign regarding the stringers!!

Getting back to engineers being pessimists. I used to make a lot of sales calls with our salesmen for the tech side of the call. One of them would always make a point of sitting directly accross from me at the customers conference room table. One day I asked he why and he told me it was incase he had to kick me in the shins if I started to tell the customer why the project wouldn't work!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 1:11pm
Thanks Pete. I will drill the exploratory holes. It does not hurt to look further since I will already be doing plenty of reglassing. Here I was thinking I was one of the lucky ones, but now you have got me worried again.

So, are you saying that when originally made CC would leave actual voids in parts of the glass? I had percieved them as doing a pretty good job. The floor layer is ridiculously thick and the cap/sides of the primaries is just as good. Secondary glass layers were definately thinner, but still at ~1/8 inch thick in the places I cut.

I do realize that they actually drilled holes into already glassed stringers (for example screws to hold up wires, screws to hold down seat brackets). These holes alone have probably put the moisture content of the wood well over 8%, even though it is still clean and hard.

Does this mean that even if I seal/ reglass over what appears to be clean solid wood that is obviously no were near a kiln dried condition of say 2-5% moisture (I am guessing that my stringers are at least 20% moisture content merely from sucking humidity out of the midwest air for 30 years, not to mention lake water wicking through holes), then I am setting myself up for expidited rot and a complete stringer job in a few years?

OK, so I guess I am more freaking out than just worried.

Regarding the pylon -- is there supposed to be a pin that goes through the cup to lock the pylon in place, or are you refering to the "pin" as the male part of the bottom of the pylon, which sits in the cup? Sorry, I am not familiar with the correct naming of all of the parts -- I am still new to this.

My cup is solid. Some surface rust, but that is all.

I have also been thinking about installing a crossmember (2X6) just in front of the pylon, so the 2 front bolts of the pylon will bolt through the new plywood and the crossmember. Since I have already cut out the primary cap in this area, I was thinking of notching out the primaries to fit a crossmember. I know that this would not be original, but I was thinking it would be an improvement. It just scares me how little is supporting the forces placed on the pylon.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 9:08am
Hilton, Another comment on moisture in wood stringers that you may have missed while looking at previous threads: Once the moisture is in the wood, (above about 8%) it is impossible to dry it out by just removing the top glass covering. When the new glass covering is put over this moist wood, it creates a environment that is perfect for rot. The stringer install done in the factory is nowhere close to what we do on a restringer job. Holes in the glass and unfilled areas acting as channels for water to travel are common. I really don't want to be the "doom and gloom" person here but simply want to caution you. Stringer work is not fun (Except for Greg - buffalo) and is time consuming. I have seen some disasters. Do drill the extra exploratory holes.

Regarding the pylon, check the lower pin and socket at the keel. It's a problem area due to poor design with the female cup on the keel facing up. It's a water trap and the carbon steel CC used rusts out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 7:46pm
Hilton, Every couple of feet down next to the hull should be fine unless you see something that is suspicious. Then drill another in between. A normal hole saw is fine. I have mentioned that dry foam is a good sign but not always!! The polyester being hygroscopic will actually allow water moisture to past through the hull from the lake. This of coarse is when a boat sits for extended time in the water. It is the major cause of hull blistering.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:21pm
So, all along the perimeter? How far apart?

Every 6inches,1 ft, 2ft?

Just barely through the fiberglass floor so I can see just the top of the wood below?

I kind of thought that by removing the foam down to the hull, right up aginast the primary stringers, that I would get to the most logical place for water to settle/ the lowest part?

Will a normal hole saw work? I would think the fiberglass would just shread the bits
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Hilton,
I would be checking the bottom close to the hull for rot too. The dry foam is a good indicator but water seeks out the low points and just like a roof leak, can come in one spot and travel to another. Just be on the safe side! You don't want to have to tear into it again.

Small 1" dia. holes drilled with a hole saw through the glass next to the hull so you can see the wood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 3:52pm
What other ways should I check for rot?

I have not taken any pics -- digital is non functional due to an "accident". On a side note the Best Buy extended service plan does not cover submersion.

I have a friend coming to help with glassing in 2 weekends from now and I will get some pics then.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 9:46pm
Hilton, Chuck is correct about just making sure the surface is clean. Unlike polyester that really needs a rough surface for a mechanical bond on the old cured glass, the epoxy will stick. Do check to make sure it is glass and it hasn't been painted though!

Please take my advice and do some further checking for rot.

Were are the pictures????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by MADTOWN78 MADTOWN78 wrote:

Any special concerns since I will be glassing to the original glass in places. I have cleaned everything really well and plan on wiping things down with acetone prior to reglassing. thoughts?

With what little fiberglassing I have done I cleaned with acetone and then applied epoxy, seems to have worked.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 6:34pm
Thanks for the info. I plan to use epoxy, as it seems to be the clear winner per discussions on other posts.

Any special concerns since I will be glassing to the original glass in places. I have cleaned everything really well and plan on wiping things down with acetone prior to reglassing. thoughts?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 9:12am
Hilton,
Tim is correct that the only removable section of the floor would be the area aft of the dog house. Screws would be hidden under the dog house and aft of the rear deck panel. I glassed mine in (I know not original!) because I didn't want the gap in the floor showing up in the carpet.

His concern about the stringers is also valid. I would be checking the bottom close to the hull for rot too. The dry foam is a good indicator but water seeks out the low points and just like a roof leak, can come in one spot and travel to another. Just be on the safe side! You don't want to have to tear into it again.

You are going to use epoxy resin for the repairs, correct?

Your pylon mounting is correct. It's sure stronger than the pre 70's set up - a hole in the single layer of ply floor!!

Small pour foam kits are available from marine supplies.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 7:55pm
Was the front panel glassed over? Was there any added support for the pylon? or just the 3/4 plywood?

For the rear panel -- was it just floating, or was is screwed to the center cross member? If screwed, did the screws have caps so they were not just bare metal on the carpet?

I have removed large sections of glass from the tops of stringers throughout the length to ensure that the are dry and no rot. I have also cut into the foam in a few places where wetness/ water was most likely (based on wood wetness and soft spots) and have removed sections of foam all the way to the hull. Foam was clean and dry all the way to the bottom, except for front end of bilge area. I dug it out a few inches towards the battery box and all was dry and clean about half way up. Actually there is a low spot in the hull area and I think the culprit is the drain tube between the battery box and bilge is not glassed in very well. I feel pretty confident that I am safe as far as remaining water/ if any goes. I may actaully put some dessicant (damp rid) in cups in the bilge and then tarp over the boat for a few days in order to suck out any residual moisture. I figure doing this before reglassing would makes things extra dry?

Oh yeah, makes me remember another question. I will only need a small amount of closed cell foam to repour where I dug out-- what is the best place to get a small quantity?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 6:57pm
Hilton, my '78 Tique was in pieces when I bought it- but I believe the rear panel would have been removable, and the front one would have been fixed. This is how my '90 was built.

Have you removed the glass from the stringers to ensure that theyre not rotten underneath? The fiberglass can hide quite a bit! Hows the foam? The most likely place for it to be wet is at the bottom, up against the hull.
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 6:52pm
I am in the process of fixing soft spots on the floor of my 78 SN. The soft spots were mainly around the strut/shaft "see threw" plastic screw off hole and in front of the pylon/ near observors seat. I tore out the carpet and found a 3/8 sheet of plywood overlay on what I assume is the original floor. After removing the 3/8 ply, the original floor is fiberglassed from the hull over the foam, secondary, and primary stringers to the bilge/ engine area. There were, what appear to be removable plywood sheets spanning the center gaps (from primary to primary). One sheet was up front (basically from the front of the dog house to about 6 inches behind the battery box --with the pylon going through it). The second sheet spans from under the gas tank area to the back of the dog house (actually the dog house hinges were screwed to it). Both sheets span across the boat from port side primary stringer to starboard side primary stringer.

So here are my questions:
1: Were these plywood sheets in fact originally removable and carpet laid down in separate sections so the plywood sections could be taken out to do work? It would seem logical for them to be removable. Keep in mind that the carpet I removed was one big piece on the floor, with no access for removing plywood sections (The carpet did not appear to be original and did not match the inner gunrails)

2. My engine bolts directly to the primary stringers, no nice aluminum engine cradle like in newer boats and hence no "real" support for the pylon. When I pulled up the floor the pylon was merely bolted through the plywood (one plate on top of plywood and other below plywood, bolted together with 4 bolts) and then had the bottom male nub resting in the female hub which is affixed/glassed to the bottom of the bilge area.

Is there supposed to be some other support for the pylon? It was strong before the tearout, so I am guessing it was in an original configuration, but I want to make sure before replacing the floor and putting down new carpet.

In case you are wondering the stingers are luckily solid. dry as a bone for the most part. A few apots where I had a little bit of wet (less than 20%). I have cut out the rot and will be building up glass to replace it (I am going to try seacast in the one spot that would take too much glass (about 2inches deep by 6 inches long). I must have dodged a bullet, cause by the sounds of it, not many boats of this era have much stringer left. I was expecting a full stringer job. Whew!

Thanks, Hilton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic