NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Dampeners??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Dampeners??
    Posted: May-09-2008 at 1:23pm
I hear ya
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:39am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Did you lose your bi focals again Pete?

Eric, I'm at the point that I have tri-focals! Actually they are the no line continuois!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:20am
Did you lose your bi focals again Pete?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 7:51am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete, Im not sure where you came up with the idea that Joe wanted to install those "power tips."

Well Tim I'm glad you caught my falling into the trap of misreading the original post by Joe!
I read it again and evidently the first time read "with" instead of "without" . Then Joe reffered to them as "dampeners" instead of rubber flappers and being confused as to what he was talking about I posted the pictures. When he came back and said "yes" to the power tips it really got balled up!!

Joe, I really don't feel that the lack of the rubber flappers had anything to do with the sound you heard. They do not dampen the sound.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 4:57pm
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t the flappers also there to help prevent water from entering the boat in case of a catastrophic leak in your exhaust hoses?
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 4:53pm
Ok thanks guys....
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 4:44pm
Pete, Im not sure where you came up with the idea that Joe wanted to install those "power tips." I think he was just talking about removing the rubber flappers. That would reveal some nice stainless tips underneath (which my Tique has). Im not putting flappers back on that boat.

Joe, youre correct that the 4" angled tips on my '90 are not stock. They do not have any muffers inside them- though they do have internal flappers in place of the external rubber ones. You can find something similar in 3" that would mount in place of your stock tips- however I think it would look a lot better just to remove the rubber flappers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 4:12pm
Joe, What do you want to do? Decrease the sound level? Do you still have the stock mufflers? Anything besides a flapper you stick in the exhaust is going to be restricting. I don't care what the ads say for them. Most here like Tim are trying to open up the exhaust to be less restrictive. Those tips are made for rear engine through transom exhausts that do not have any mufflers. With todays noise standards, I feel they are being installed to meet the decible requirements of the laws.

I'm always carefull not to stereotype, but to me they would sure look like a P.R.'n job on a boat. What's the next step? Hydraulics to bounce the boat up and down??

As mentioned, the rubber flappers are just a added precaution to prevent water from getting all the way back to the engine when stopping suddenly or in a power reverse. I have never heard of a problem without the flappers and have never seen a need for them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 3:56pm
So do I need to keep those on, or could i get tips like the picture above??
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 3:12pm
8122pbrainard,

Yes!! thanks.......
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by 82wake2001 82wake2001 wrote:

No i have an 82 with dual exhausts i added a picture from his thread. I don't have angled tips they are flat and have black flaps over them, I wish i had a picture.

Joe, So you have these:

And you were refering to the "power tips"??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:43pm
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:42pm
No i have an 82 with dual exhausts i added a picture from his thread. I don't have angled tips they are flat and have black flaps over them, I wish i had a picture.
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

they are actually for the back flow of water, if you stop real quick without them the engine will get a water flush, the flaps are what your talking about correct?

I think he's talking about the flaps as well, and Eric is correct. I dont think they do much to dampen sound. Theyre also not completely necessary, as the older CC's never had them. The stainless tips look much better than rubber flappers too!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 11:47am
Eric, I feel Joe is talking about the "power tips" and not the flapers.

Joe, Ever since they started putting mufflers on in the 70's, boats don't sound anything like they should. (of coarse Tim's does!!) You being born in 79, you missed the good sounding boats and evidently you don't get around any of the older ones! Take your mufflers out of the 82 and check out Tim's thread on the dual sytem he installed. I'll come back in when I find it and provide a link.

Here it is: "got pipes?"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 11:39am
they are actually for the back flow of water, if you stop real quick without them the engine will get a water flush, the flaps are what your talking about correct?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 11:26am
I was wondering of the dampeners that cover the tip of the dual exhaust have any function besides the obvious which is dampening the sound. I saw a nautique about the same year without them last week on the lake and it sounded amazing!!!
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic