NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hickup when starting slow

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hickup when starting slow
    Posted: May-12-2008 at 8:55am
bd, To me, it doesn't sound like a wiring problem but like I mentioned a fuel/carb issue. Some of the other guys can comment better and hopefully they will. Chris (79) has given you one idea. He's one of our motor heads here - better at it than I am. My only suggestion would be to check the operation of the accelerator pump. Looking down the carb, you should see a squirt of gas when the throttle is advanced.

The plug at the wiring harness that burnt up wasn't from being too close to the engine and getting hot. They will corrode developing a high resistence and heat. Did you bypass it? Electrically is the boat ok now? You may want to go through the complete wiring and clean it up. When putting it back together, use some dielectric grease on the connections.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bdanley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 10:50pm
when i first got the boat it ran fine, no problems, then i started to just do a little spring cleaning(changing oil, replacing oil sensor, etc.) then i noticed there is a plug that is in the wiring so that if you want to take the engine out all you have to do is unplug the wires and the engine will come right out....anyways the plug was to close to the block and it melted that is the reason i had to replace the oil pressure sensor, the main power wire and the sensor melted together so the sensor was getting full power and consiquently burnt it out....so the plug is capoot they said i should bypass the plug all togther, and see how it dose.....ether its wiring,carb, or i got a bad batch of fuel, so i decide to change the fuel filter and it was full of sediment....needless to say the person that i bought the boat from never took care of it at all....it has a holey carb on it and looks in good condition, so im basicly trying to narrow down all the problems?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 11:01am
bd, What else did you tell the mechanics that would lead them to a wiring problem? What wiring did they tell you may be a issue?
To me it sounds like a carb problem too. It's just the mid range bogging and not any stalling or starting problems? How's the WOT? Fill us in on some more history.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 2:44am
Inside the carb.
Tim D
bdanley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 2:39am
power valve were is that
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 2:25am
Check the power valve.
Tim D
bdanley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 4:58pm
i have an 87 ski nati great boat but recently i hve been having problems when i ease into about 13oo rpms it will want to stall...i have talkd to some boat mechanics who say it could be a problem with the wiring...but i dont understand what it could be?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic