Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft Packing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kevbo2113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevbo2113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft Packing
    Posted: May-17-2008 at 3:20am
thanks guys . that helps me out. ill prob go get the GORE Tex stuff
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight.....It's the size of the fight in the dog."
1984 SN 2001
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 7:26pm
I used the Gortex and was very happy with it. Like Randy said, don't get it too tight or it will heat up. Adjust it after you have it in the water so it barely wheeps a little bit of moisture. Then run the boat and check it again.
Don't forget to replace your safety wire.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 6:39pm
Besides dripless capability, the dripless seal will have less drag on the driveshaft. The seal itself is a graphite lip seal. I can spin my prop pretty easily, even completely dry. My XPC bearings help this a bit but really there is very little drag on the shaft.

That said, there is very little benefit to going dripless other than the cool factor, and the labor involved in installation is completely ridiculous for a shadetree mechanic, as far as time and effort invested rather than difficulty. I'd go with the Goretex (gotex?).

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 6:32pm
The GoreTex is $10, I have some on order.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 5:10pm
I'd go with the wax impregnated flax packing- will last you a long time if installed properly and is very inexpensive. (3 bucks)
kevbo2113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevbo2113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 2:20pm
yea , thats my thought . it was about 150-200 bucks and for what. I guess if you let your boat float 24-7 in a dock you might consider it. our SN will be hung in our covered dock. its only wet if we are !

thanks
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight.....It's the size of the fight in the dog."
1984 SN 2001
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 2:13pm
I agree with Randy. That's what my thought is. Drip less cost a lot more and you gain zero "significant benefit". Is a nice upgrade to have because is like a one of those grill, "set it and forget it". But really, what is the gain? What is worth to you?
kevbo2113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevbo2113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 1:20pm
Just a couple miles east of Mt Vernon, which is 50 miles north of Columbus.

we live in Apple Valley, a nice little lake community.
1984 SN 2001
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 1:11pm
BTW, where is Howard, OH?
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 1:10pm
I considered changing over to the dripless system, but once I considered the price and the labor involved, I opted to go with the Gortex GFO packing. I'm really happy with this stuff, much better than the rope stuff. Probably the best $10 I've spent on it.

Unless you are going to pull the shaft for some other reason, I would save your $$ and go with the Gortex GFO, you will be happy with it.

Be sure to adjust the packing nut once you get it out on the water. When I installed mine, I took it out and ran it for a little bit, checked it, and it was really hot. After letting it cool and adjusting it back a little it has been fine ever since.

good luck.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 6:33am
I am no expert but from what I have heard this is my understanding.

The drip less system will set you back a couple hundreds dollars not to mention that you will need to remove the shaft. If you have a single taper shaft that's a lot of fun. The Gore-Tex GFO is virtually drip less you only need to adjusted so it remains moist. That means that your bilge will be dry. The standard one, you have to let drip a little bit. The old system is as good any new one. Is a matter of preference. I think the GFO for the price is your best bet but is your call.

Now that my shaft is removed I thought about using the drip less system but I realized is just nice to have. I am going with the GFO. Less installation and cheaper.
kevbo2113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevbo2113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 1:23am
Me Again.

84 Nautique... what's the best to use ?

GFO Fiber Packing - 3/16"
    or
ROPE PACKING 3\16"
* Standard Wax Impregnated Flax Packing

or somthing else ?

or should i do a complete change over to a dripless? I dont realy feel like changing it over. this is just a family boat. no hard running.

Thanks guys ! i swear once i get this thing in the water.... no more questions !

Kevin

1984 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic