NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cutlass Bearing replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutlass Bearing replacement
    Posted: May-18-2008 at 1:05pm
I read your posts as your were doing it, and thought to myself..I hope I dont have to do that anytime soon. Sounds like I may call the dealership, to bad I dont know of one around here I trust. I sure do miss Whitelake.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 12:13pm
There is a lot of info on this site regarding replacing cutlass bearings. I just did mine for the same reason- just a little wiggle in the shaft. Typically you drop the rudder and pull the shaft out so you don't have to worry about re-aligning the strut in any way. It's a pretty big job. Cutting out the old ones and removing the shaft from the coupling take a long time to do, compounded by any surprises you might find along the way. I replaced mine with OJ XPC Vesconite bearings for longer life and less vibration. This is one job I hope to never have to do again.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 12:08pm
I noticed a little bit of play in my cuttless bearing this weekend as I was piddling around on my boat. When I say a little I mean I can make it move up just aprox 1/16" or so. Is it time for a new bearing? If so does it require removing the shaft? Or can it be replaced by removing the prop then strut?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic