Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

belt - smoke

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rhschnauss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhschnauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: belt - smoke
    Posted: June-02-2008 at 4:31am
bad bearing most likely. Someone showed me a trick to figure out which bearing. The one that is seizing up occasionally will be much noisier than the rest. Take a long extension bar for a socket set, put one end at each bearing and the other to your ear with the motor running. If you can detect more noise from one of them, you have found the one that is failing. Worked like a charm when the idler pulley was going out on my car.
rhschnauss
tjeffery72Mus. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 2:03am
I would pull the belt off and see how well that pulley is turning on the alternator, check all of the pulleys and see if the bearings are turning well, if there not im sure there is some kind of way to lube them, maybe, or might have to replace one.
The Guy.

bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 8:00pm
Out skiing today and smelled something burning...popped the engine cover and smoke poured out. After it cleared, started up again and immediately saw smoke from around the alternator, apparently from the belt? Belt was very hot to the touch. Haven't seen this happen before. I waited a minute, started again and eveything appeared to be fine (finished skiing). It didn't appear that the belt was loose/slipping - would it cause any problems if it was too tight? I'd rather not chalk this up to a fluke...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic