NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1991SN Trailer leaf springs issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1991SN Trailer leaf springs issue
    Posted: June-11-2008 at 3:51pm
FWIW, I believe CC used special sized/rated springs that are virtually impossible to find outside of a CC dealer. The issue is the number of leaves and the total length of the double eye spring. They are an odd animal.

You did the right thing by buying from Woody.
kraftchick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraftchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 4:57pm
Talked to Woody at South East CC...he confirmed that the axle is a 5000 lb rated axle (said that is was a solid square tube, not hollow), and that the springs should be 2400lb springs each, totaling 4800 lb capacity together. I was so happy to have THE final answer...I went ahead and ordered the springs from Woody as well as a new gas shock to hold up the passenger seat (mine has never worked since I've had the boat), two new speedo pickups(both are broken), two new transom cups (one is completely missing), a transom light base ( I have to fool with this every year to get the light seated properly to work), and a gas cap key (never had one, and was using a quarter that I drilled out and put on the key ring....HA ! THE RESTORATION BEGINS !!! HA ! Thanks again guys for all the help !
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 84 BFN 84 BFN wrote:

Get your springs from a Correct Craft Dealer.

Mark, I'm glad in todays economy that someone has plenty of extra money laying around!

Whether you buy them there or not that's the first place I'd call to find out what's supposed to be on the trailer for springs. If anyone will know it should be them.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by 84 BFN 84 BFN wrote:

Mark, I'm glad in todays economy that someone has plenty of extra money laying around!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
84 BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 8:21pm
Southeast Correct Craft
7576 South Orange Avenue � Orlando, FL 32809
Phone: 407-851-1965 Fax: 407-240-0898
84 BFN
Longwood, Florida

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraftchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 8:02pm
BFN...do you by chance have the number to SouthEast Correct Craft...the number listed at the bottom of their page goes to what sounds like someone's household...the answering maching pick up and says it's the "Massey's" ????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraftchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 7:56pm
BFN....you have described my situation to a T !! I think I will check out South East Correct Craft and talk to them. Chris, Pete, I didn't realize the soaked foam inside the hull stayed that way, and nope..ha, I definitely have not had the floor opened up. But thanks for the headsup...I am interested in the exact weight, just now need to put on at least some springs that don't scare the crap out of me so I can get to a scale. Fantastic, Fantastic forum....I can't thank you guys enough for the dialogue and help !!
84 BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 7:31pm

I had the same problem with my 84 Barefoot and the picture of the spring looks exactly the same except mine were rusted badly. My brother (the prior owner) had one of original springs break while going over railroad tracks. He went to a trailer store and bought new springs that were supposedly rated for the weight of the boat. After he had them installed, he wasn’t able to put the fenders back on. He thought the fender problem was related to the accident damage to the trailer. When I got the boat I wanted the fenders installed and figured out the springs were causing the problem (completely flat like yours). I went to South East Correct Craft and Woody set me up with the correct springs. Huge difference! I thought I was going to be able to install one spring and then do the other the following weekend. I should have taken a picture, but the difference between the new spring and old was dramatic. By the way are your tires rubbing on the fender?
84 BFN
Longwood, Florida
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

pete I don't know if I would go to all that trouble to know exactly what the weight is, because in reality they are going to load stuff in the boat while trailering so just get the next highest load rated springs and call it a day, it might bounce a little more if it is over sprung but then just load the boat instead of the car and the problems solved.

Chris, I'm only trying to make sure that the springs are the correct ones. I don't think Brian should go and just put the "next highest" springs on it. The rating of the springs he got and put on the trailer is still questionable.
I have actually re springed trailers with lower spring ratings because so many come from the factory with off the shelf generic springs and they ride like bricks!

Brian, Did your old set of springs have 4 leaves or 5 ? Take a look at this spec sheet. It may help. Note that 4 leaves come in 1750 and 2400 ea. and then a 5 leaves at 2900. leaf springs at etrailer

Brian, Chris is correct that the only way to get the water out once it's saturated the foam is to rip up the floor and take out the foam. BTW, that would be another very good reason to pull it over the truck scale! You'd know for sure what's up with the boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 5:18pm
you should be using springs that are rated for 2,500 lbs each.

OH BTW the foam isn't dried out by now, unless you removed the floor which I doubt you did, it's still soaked and trapped and will never dry out unless removed and replaced.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 5:11pm
find a spring dealer that's not full of crap that's the formula you need,

they grabbed the wrong springs. All you have to do is measure the arch, span between eye's, and load to get springs. It really sounds like you got took and messing around with all of this other stuff is a waste of time. Pull the springs off take them back and make them prove they are 3500 springs, they should have a load machine to test them. Hell go get another pair from another source and compare stiffness and flex rate of travel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraftchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 5:04pm
Oops...math was wrong...with only 200 lbs. being taken away as tongue weight...total weight would be approx. 3290. That's awfully close to 3500 for handling bumps, etc. while trailering.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraftchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 5:01pm
Guys...again, great info...I never thought of the water in the foam. The boat had been sitting for nearly two weeks at home before I tugged it to the lake to put the new springs on. I put the boat in the water, tied up to the dock and started changing the springs...so I don't think the foam was soaked with water at all...all that should have drained out by then. I hadn't accounted for a few hundred pounds offloaded by the tongue either...so I'm guessing as such: 2340 dry boat weight, 100 lbs give or take for battery, oil, etc., 100 lbs of gear (high estimate), 100 lbs of fuel, say 850 lbs of trailer weight (1050 less axle, wheels, etc)...equals total of 3490 lbs.....less the tongue weight 200 lbs. (estimating since the fuel is in the very back and I've actually lifted the tongue before, and though it's very heavy, I don't think I can dead lift 300 lbs......total sprung weight 3190 lbs.....and that's high estimating, it's probably better than that in reality. So I'm in agreement with you guys...those springs couldn't possibly be rated to support 3500 lbs. as a pair !!!! I do have access to scales as I work for a freight line company, but I just don't feel comfortable driving that trailer with the boat on it down the road with those springs flattened out like they are. The trailer dealer has already told me that he can't take them back since they left his shop...says he'd be liable if he took them back since they've already been installed on something and weighted (again, I'm going to "discuss" this with him further since I was told that each spring could support 3500 a piece and the pair would hold 7000 lbs.) I put the springs on myself. But since I'm not likely going to get my money back (we'll see) on the set in the pictures, If I'm going to have to buy another pair, I HAVE to make absolutely sure I get what is necessary. I asked them if they felt that the axle was a 5000 lbs axle vs. 3500 simply due to the weight of the boat and trailer in the owner's manual...surely Correct Craft would not sell just enough to get by ?????? As far as the axle rating, he asked if it were a 5 or 6 lug wheel...well, it's 6...he said that it may be a 5000 lb axle then and could take the 5200 lb springs. That's why I was trying to find out if anyone KNEW the axle rating on these trailers. Right now I'm having to leave the boat/trailer at the lake (it's secure fortunately), but I don't like not being able to tote it around, and surely their has to be a solution, the original springs lasted at least 17 years without any issues, so there must be a correct formula....just what is it ??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 3:41pm
pete I don't know if I would go to all that trouble to know exactly what the weight is, because in reality they are going to load stuff in the boat while trailering so just get the next highest load rated springs and call it a day, it might bounce a little more if it is over sprung but then just load the boat instead of the car and the problems solved.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 3:30pm
Chris has made a important point about the foam in the boat! You can easily have 400lbs of extra weight. On the 1050 figure on the trailer, I'd say you could deduct a couple hundred lbs. for tires, rims, axle and springs. Also, at the recommended 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue, that's another 300lb. deduction (I forgot about the weight on the tongue). What's the tongue weight? I still feel somethings up with those springs the trailer guy put on. Keep in mind that besides the nominal spring rate, it needs to carry the extra shock loading when going over bumps in the road.

Brian, do you have a truck scale in your area? You may want to pull it over it for a actual weight. It would be valuable info for the trailer guy!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 3:15pm
yea but is the foam empty of water?

any way sounds like you are being very marginal on the load rating and the weak link being the axle I wouldn't worry about, whether or not the guy selling me leafs knowing the correct spring rate of the springs he sells me does though. So go up the next size, shooting for a 3500 rating seems a little low once you figure everything into the equation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraftchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 2:26pm
Thanks for the quick replies both of you. Look at page 10.8 of the 91 owners manual. It states that the boat itself is 2340 lbs. dry, and that the trailer single trailer is 1050 lbs. Surely the unsprung components, axle, hubs, wheels, and tires wouldn't account for 550 lbs. themselves could they ? When these pictures were taken, the gas tank was maybe half full, and there wasn't anything else but lifevests as far as gear goes...no ballast/fat sacks or anything else, hull was empty of water. ????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 2:05pm
I would supect that the rating of the leaf is wrong.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 1:45pm
Brian, First, I feel that the 3500lb trailer is within the range of the load. I think you are over on the weight (I'd have to say the sprung weight of the trailer is closer to 500lbs.) of the trailer and also need to ask if you put any extra weight in the boat. If so, this isn't a good practice! Any ballast? A 1750lb ea. spring set shouldn't flatten out like that. Talk to the owner again. Ask him to double check the new springs for the rating. I don't recommend over springing the trailer.

Glad you found the site! Keep us informed on the out come.

Edit: 2340lb dry on the boat plus a full tank of gas (153lbs) plus 500lbs of sprung trailer weight comes out to just under 3000.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kraftchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 12:42pm
Folks...this is my first post out here, and by the way...great forum !!!! Anyway, two weeks ago, we pulled the boat out of the water at the end of a great day. Right side fender well seemed to be rubbing tire when hitting bumps in road. After further inspections, saw that the bottom three springs on that side were half gone !!! Very lucky to get home. Went to a trailer dealer to get replacements...boat wt. is 2340 lbs. dry, trailer is 1050 less everything below the springs (axle, hubs, wheels, tires)...so I know I'm atleast 3400 lbs. total. I asked the trailer technician for a set of springs to handle this weight...he gave me 3500 lb rated springs....I asked him point blank, "each of these springs will hold 3500 lbs., so both together would hold $7000...he said yes. Off I go to replace them...put the boat back on the trailer, and you can see in the picture the weight flattened them out. He was incorrect, those are 1750 lb. per spring...totaling 3500...that's why their flattened out (taking this up with the owner this week, based on what I was told). After going back and talking to them again, they said I could go to a 6200 lb set (2600 per leaf), but that would make the weak point the axle, and if that was only a 3500 lb axle, it would surely break eventually too. My question is this....what is the axle rating of the 1991 Correct Craft trailer sold with a 1991 Ski Nautique ? And what springs should I buy to replace the old ones ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic