NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teak Floors in ’79 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teak Floors in ’79 Nautique
    Posted: June-16-2008 at 4:33pm
That looks absolutely awesome! well done Michael!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
MichaelQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 3:27pm
Some responses,

Pictures. Sorry, I don’t have any pictures of the process - I’ll try to write something up to give you an idea of what was involved.

Slippery. The Dura-Tuff clear coat is as hard as a rock – similar to a new gel coat. The plywood and coating are used in the saloons of yachts (Peter is right – although I think I used a lighter plywood than the one in his pic). Yes, it can be slippery when wet - just like gel coat. Since there isn’t a lot of beam (or floor surface) in a ’79 Nautique we haven’t had any problems with people slipping (and I’ve got 3 little kids who haven't had a problem).

Here is why I did it . . .

The carpet never dried out and I was frustrated with the boat staying soaking wet all day after a morning of waterskiing. After I'd ski with my buddies, my wife would come down with the kids and their clothes would be wet in no time. Now all I have to do is wipe down the floors and the boat is perfectly dry.

The teak floor amplifies the "old school" quality of the boat and since I grew up with wood boats (Sande Ace & Chris Crafts) I really missed the character of wood
- Michael Quigley
'79 Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:46pm
That is a beautiful floor and this stuff doesn't even compare, but I think its neat stuff. I stumbled across it at a local marina and wished I had some use for it. It is some kind of synthetic and is (as the name implies) flexible. It actually looks pretty good and would probably make a pretty good alternative to carpet or plastic when you are looking at a refloor job.

flexiteek

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:42pm
That is awesome. Love how it looks.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 10:40am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Michael, let me guess, you do floors for a living jk, beautiful work

Eric, It's teak-holley cabin sole plywood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 10:31am
Luch, its for the dripless seai.
Michael, let me guess, you do floors for a living jk, beautiful work
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 8:46am
MQ, that's sharp!!!

Pardon me for being nosey, but if you took any pics along the way...I'd luv to see those too!

Is it slippery when wet?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
MichaelQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:51am
Thanks guys.

The lin runs water to the shaft seal. I removed the old packing nut this spring and put in an OJ Dripless Shaft Seal ($149 @ skidim ).

- Michael Quigley
'79 Nautique
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:27am
really nice!!!

what's that light blue line out of the T-stat line?
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:03am
Wow! That looks amazing!
MichaelQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:00am
Here are some pictures of my '79 Nautique. In 2005 I removed the carpet and installed a teak floor.

These pics are from this morning.

A fresh coat of Dura-Tuff - and Sean's feet

The "mirror" sheen tones down nicely with a little wear

A good shot of the MSD & just put the 3m closed cell foam down

Finally back together - yes, I know the pylon is backwards - it allows me to open the engine box with the barefoot boom on.

Lake Chelan
- Michael Quigley
'79 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic