NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dead transmission towed in by fire dept

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead transmission towed in by fire dept
    Posted: June-20-2008 at 10:02am
Pete, they got a seal tool? lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 10:01am
my e-bay "Murphy's" law
if i pay 600.00 for it, it is a piece of ***************
if i pay 50.00 for it, it is like brand new

and yes i tear both completely down because, selling and buying are 2 different animals, a seller will tell you what you need to hear
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 9:55am
rule number 21, they are in someones garage for a reason
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 7:55am
Ryan, I'm sure Eric will be in shortly to comment (I can always tell from his posting that he's out of bed in the morning!!) but did you do a oil change on the ebay trans when you got it or just top it off after you flipped the pump rotation? Any problems with flipping the pump? Did you pull the pump off completely requiring using the protection tool (or suitable protection) protecting the seal from damage from the shaft splines? Any ATF in the bilge? I don't think your driving it for such a short period of time did the damage from water unless the water was already in it. The dirty brown sounds like rust to me.

BTW,what was wrong with your old trans? I may have missed that or forgot!!! You got the boat without a trans but now you have 2? Did you look at the Velvet manual regarding the rotation change? Slow down - sounds like the desire to get it out on the water is affecting your judgement.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lovemy2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovemy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 11:48pm
Ok well talk about a bummer, for those of yall who know my story i bought a used transmission said to be in good shape on ebay and when i put it in I had to rotate the pump to a RH rotation. The tranny is a RH rotation tranny i believe because it has an R stamped on the side.
Anyways, I took the boat for a lake test yesterday and it ran fine shifted great, everything seemed okay until i get out into the middle of the lake then the transmission just slipped at about 25 mph, it wasnt loud there was no bang or snap or any noise it felt like it just let go. I had just left the dock and had been driving for maybe 6 or 7 minutes. I opened the box and the tranny was burning up. I couldnt wave anyone down to get a tow back in there was no one on the lake. I let everything cool, then i fired it up again and headed back to the dock, the tranny was bad i shouldn't have driven it but on top of all that i have a leak somewhere and was taking on water( nothing to do with tranny). On the way back to the dock there was steam or smoke coming from the tranny, it was coming out of the relief valve i immediately shut if off to minimize further damage. So i ended up calling the fire dept boat to give me a tow. So when i get back to the dock i open the box again and checked the tranny fluid, it seemed to me like there was water in it, it was a brownish color and really light, watery. So eric I believe that I will be sending you both of my transmissions. the origional that is bad and the one in the boat now that I might have just burnt up, I dont think I have any other choice. I just dont know how water would be in there unless there was water in there when I put it on, or the cooler is leaking, but the cooler is brand new. Also is it for shure that I have permanant damage, whats the best way to completely drain the tranny. I wonder if there was water in the transmission before i put it in the boat, I am begining to learn my lesson about patience im too anxious to get out on the water. I should have made shure the tranny was drained and done a thorough inspection before I put it on the boat. But you live and you learn. I hope the tranny is not in too bad of shape.

Ryan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic