NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blower fan blades are no more

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blower fan blades are no more
    Posted: July-27-2008 at 8:28pm
Adam, They should have it but if not, you may have to go to a better spot than Carquest. It really needs to be suction rated and wired hose will be. I'd hate for you to go to a marine supply just for hose and get "marine"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 6:34pm

Thanks Pete, to recap, definately eliminate the 90 degree and if possible, both. I need to get wire reinforced hose, right. I thought I would leave the new hose out in the Florida sun for an hour, and that will get it good and flexible before installation. I'll try Carquest for the hose, I guess the best way is to take the old one in to make sure I get the right size. If they don't have it, any suggestions on where to purchase? Thanks again.
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 1:40pm
Adam, The plug on the bottom of the pump is the drain for winterizing. take it out and get some teflon tape on it andd see if the leak stops. It may be sucking air when running. When you replace the hose, at least get rid of the plastic 90. The hose may need to go over the oil filter to make the bend easy. At least that will eliminate two potential spots to suck air/leak.

The blower looks great. Yes, that's where the blower hoses would have gone. The idea is to get the possible fumes out of the bilge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 5:18am

...AND...I developed a leak last trip out, on the bottom of the rwp...any help on fixing it...what's the significance of the bolt/ plug on the bottom...Thanks again

-Adam

1973 Skier
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 4:48am
Another question, next on the project list, Pete, you told me to replace the inlet hose on the RWP and eliminate the angles. Am I trying to eliminate both angles or I am I just getting rid of the 90 degree plastic one? Where was the best place to purchase this hose?

-Adam

1973 Skier
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 4:40am

Replaced the bilge blower last week, tight fit but working fine, I was a little surprised when I saw the vent ducts. I would have thought they would extend further into the bilge.

Is this the correct set-up or is something missing???...

-Adam

1973 Skier
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 7:35pm
Tim the offer still stands to overnight and caravan out of here if you looking to break up the trip drop me an email when your plans firm up, copilots on these missions are tough its a lot of time in the car I think I have a sucker this year to make the journey with me, I had a few last year but they started to fall off as the trip got closer and the boat still wasnt ready.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 5:55pm
Tim, I didn't even notice that you hadn't signed up yet. I guess I just assumed you had! Do it today.

I didn't know you had a problem with a broken spring last year. Coming to or returning from GL?

Glad you're bring the green boat. I'd love to see it up close. Don't worry because I won't be looking for any non original items!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

And yet Tim last i knew no signup yet for you for GL? I thought perhaps you were out...

Very true- Ive been dragging my feet. The Skier is now in the diaries, so thats one hurdle Im over. Ive also been actively recruiting potential copilots without success. Ive just about resorted to making the trip solo.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 1:39pm
And yet Tim last i knew no signup yet for you for GL? I thought perhaps you were out...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim, The Skier is sure looking great!!
BTW, what boat are you bring to GL?

Thanks Pete- the plan is to bring the green boat. The trailer got new springs/axle/tires/wheels/hubs, and a spare tire carrier this spring. Im determined that there will be no repeating last year's broken spring!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 1:26pm
Tim, The Skier is sure looking great!!
BTW, what boat are you bring to GL?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 10:22am
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

Thanks, is that blower going to fit, it looks totally different than the one that's there now?
How does one drain the gas from a tank?
BTW, is "Kingsberry Lady" your boat, I couldn't remember who's it was?
If so, how's it coming along, I like to see more Skiers in this world of SN's

Adam, as usual, Petes advice on the blower is spot on. I dont think it would be too hard to swap out to the inline style if you wanted to- thats what the newer boats use. If you had a way to suck the gas out of the fuel fill, thats probably the easiest way- I use the Suck-Up (available at SkiDIM). As long as you dont have a ton of gas in the tank, its not too bad to remove. The tank itself weighs very little (~10-15 lbs).

The Kingsberry's Lady is mine- sort of. I partnered up with my buddy Nick on that boat. Its in a state of disassembly at the moment, but we're hoping to get it back together and in the water before too long. Like you, Im a huge fan of these early 70's Skiers- my '72 is finally in the diaries if you want to check it out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 9:34am
Adam, The blower that Tim linked is a inline . They have become very popular (especially with the OEM's) because of their low cost. Although one of them will work, you will end having to change mounting location and add tubing connecting the blower discharge to the deck vent. Connecting the hose to the deck may also require a fitting. It's doable but just thought you should know some options. Jabsco still makes the older blower style.

centrifical bilge ventilators at west

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 2:19am
Thanks, is that blower going to fit, it looks totally different than the one that's there now?
How does one drain the gas from a tank?
BTW, is "Kingsberry Lady" your boat, I couldn't remember who's it was?
If so, how's it coming along, I like to see more Skiers in this world of SN's
-Adam

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 2:12am
1. For $26, you might as well just replace the blower. SkiDIM sells one.

2. I would recommend it. Pulling the tank is a piece of cake, and doing so would be much easier than struggling to remove/install a blower in that confined space. Consider draining any gas thats in the tank first.
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 2:03am

Last time we went out the fan blades on the bilge blower decided to give up the ghost and come shooting out of the vent. Judging by how brittle it is I wouldn't be surprised if this is the original blower from 1973.
Question 1: Am I looking to replace the blade or am I just going to get a new blower and where am I going to find one to fit?
Question 2: The blower is located right at the exhaust vent, above the gas tank. Am I really going to have to pull the gas tank out to get at it, it's a pretty tight fit in there?
Thanks
-Adam

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic