NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wetsanding beaching scratches

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wetsanding beaching scratches
    Posted: June-27-2008 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by shawnmc shawnmc wrote:

should i start with 400 or 600 grit. i am assuming anything higher would not take the scratches out initally? I have read all the wetsanding posts.

sand......diamond cut compound......cleaner polish compound....and then wax.

3 pads...2 compounds and wax

Right?

Go ahead and buy 1000, 800, 600, 400 and 320 grit wet/dry paper. Try the 1000 first, then work your way towards more aggressive grits until you start seeing results you like. The less aggressive you go, the less sanding you'll do.

When moving to the compound, be sure that each product you buy will remove the last round's scratches. Im nor familiar with the "diamond cut" compound or the "cleaner polish", but 3M Super Duty will remove 1000 grit scratches. A less aggressive compound may require you to sand to 1200 or 1500 grit before starting.

Finish off with a good polish (like 3M Finesse-It II), then clean and cover with a good wax.
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 12:27pm
should i start with 400 or 600 grit. i am assuming anything higher would not take the scratches out initally? I have read all the wetsanding posts.

sand......diamond cut compound......cleaner polish compound....and then wax.

3 pads...2 compounds and wax

Right?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 11:02am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You won't get then all out.

But it will look 1000x better afterwards regardless!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 8:45am
I agree with Greg. That's from the PO power loading while smoking something!! They don't look that deep so do a light wet sand and then buff. You won't get then all out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 1:18am
that looks pretty high and far back to be beached. i beach mine and it doesn't go as high an back as yours
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 12:08am
I dont' think that is from beaching the boat. The marks are high on the side of the bottom. If it was from the sand, it would be more on the bottom. I think it is from power loading the boat?
Greg

86 BFN
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 10:58pm
No, i don't think we will ever beach it again. The shore in Tennessee is not very sandy....more rocks

Here is a picture

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 10:43pm
DO you plan on beaching it again?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 9:03pm
Shawn, I'd have to say even without seeing them that they would be too deep to sand out. You may need to do a gel repair first to fill them and then wet sand smooth. A picture would help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 8:25pm
the PO of my boat must have beached it frequently because on both sides of the keel are a patch of scratches 3ft x 3ft. Can i wet sand those out using the procedures i got from the posts or is it a waste of time?

Of course you can only see it when it is on the trailer, but it bugs me everytime i look at them.

thanks in advance.

shawn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic