NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 SN starts hard when hot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 SN starts hard when hot
    Posted: July-07-2008 at 4:04pm
Check the choke, but also verify the timing.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 3:43pm
I have a '76 Southwind with a 351. It had a hesitation when slowly throttling and also has a hesitation when flooring it from idle to full throttle. My mechanic friend looked at it and it was a simple electric choke adjustment. My choke was not opening up at the right time making it run to rich in fuel. This also made it hard to start after hot. We adjusted the choke to where the choke plate opened up at the correct time and it runs like a charm. The elec. choke can be adjusted easily by loosening 3 set screws and turning the plastic choke module. Do it while the engine is on and at running temp. From what I understand, you want the choke plate to be wide open after the engine is at running temp. Every engine is different though, so you might have to tweak it until yours it right. Hope that helps.
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
Hydrofoilmaniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrofoilmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 9:56am
I have 1976 SN with a 351 W that starts hard when hot.   That is, on warm days and after the engine is warmed up, it often seems like it floods itself after sitting off for 4-5 minutes.   

I installed a carb kit and new floats last season but it still has the same problem.   It runs perfect on the water but does hesitate a little out of the hole once in awhile.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic