NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dist/carb tuning question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dist/carb tuning question
    Posted: July-31-2008 at 10:04am
never hurts to try it after all is done and said
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 9:58am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

dont give away that 750 just yet....

Do you know of someone who may want it? Or is that someone maybe me?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 9:56am

In my eyes you will be considered a professional after this one

Thank you Mr. Poobah sir!!!

Is that because I know where most of the banana peels are now?    
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 9:45am
dont give away that 750 just yet....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 9:43am
In my eyes you will be considered a professional after this one
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 9:16am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Eric, I can see it now.......

GIBBS ENGINE SUPPLY
              1-770-536-2328
        "You Smokem We'll Strokem"

Greggs Inboard Big Block School

That's funny!!!   LMAO

We'll get billy mays to advertise it..."Only $19.95 for your first free lesson, and if you call right now we'll even throw in a slightly used 750"?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 12:44am
Eric, I can see it now.......

GIBBS ENGINE SUPPLY
              1-770-536-2328
        "You Smokem We'll Strokem"

Greggs Inboard Big Block School
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:56pm
i was on a boat today with a merc, BBC righty, I was there to install his 4th trans, he got rid of the guy that did it the first three.....this officially is number 15 for the fix it again club. the day started with the trans tipping over in the back of my suburban and puncturing a hole in the 1 gallon jug of Dex/Merc and you know where it ended up, then to top it off we were at full cruise after i found his trans lines were with the flow and the alignment out side to side .021 and i told him to run it like he normally does. I had my face about 2 feet from the dipstick and all of a sudden the dipstick launched and out came 180 degree oil right into my face...that hurt with momentary blindess. The reason it launched to find out was i was thinking man is this thing screaming, he told me his tac was off, so I put my photo tach on and found he was constantly running the boat at 4700 rpms and one reason was the smaller prop. typical tow boat owner. what happens is the oil pump spins engine speed and creates way to much flow over 4000 rpms. this obviously was part of the problem along with the MA and cooler line switch, just thought i would post cause he wants me to rebuild the engine over the winter and i told him i wouldnt but i knew of someone that would and if he would be willing to ship it to Atlanta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 4:15pm
Will do!

I'm about to pull the beast...I'll call you when I come back in to cool down.
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 3:58pm
Greg, you are very welcome. Would do it over again in a heart beat for you, 'cause you would do the same for me.....Nuff Said.....
We are all here to do different jobs,just have not found the right job yet, but still lookin'..................Boat dr

Side note Greg, Gotta a phone call from PCM yesterday from Mark Sneider,He had some loose time that he spent with me on the phone.If you want to know more about the conversation and the info I gained, give me a call.Will share what I learned from him,very interesting conversation........Billy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 1:49pm
Doc's right, I didn't get much info with my parts order   "454 kit" was most of what I got and I didn't know to ask for the spec sheets. It's just another mistake I won't make again, and I've asked the guy who ordered it to dig up the info for me...he's not happy about it either! He's getting me another gasket kit,(another mistake I made was to throw away boxes before this was all done) and the box I still have is fel-pro marine #17240, anyone know the companion part #?

No worries, we'll get it right.

And on a side note, Thanks Boat Dr.!!!

1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 1:43pm
but can't it be determind by watching which valve moves at what time and work backwards since the info isn't there? Basicly you want to know if the valves are closed and on the right stroke, i.e. compression when they are suppose to be and what the actual order is. Granted this is going to take a little time without the info but then if he all ready had the info he wouldn't need to verify it.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 1:33pm
Chris, there is a small problem there , you need a "DATA CARD"that piece of paper that comes with any new cam.
This will tell the specs for the cam and info needed to degree it properly.Greg was not given this with the purchase of the cam.
Not only does it give all the specs it also tells you the firing order.And if this is a left hand rotation cam used in the wrong application it would state the firing order as 18436572 and not the correct firing order of a bakards motor which is 12756348..................Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 1:30pm
I'll look it up Chris, but it's much more fun when you explain things!   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 12:45pm
well you have to have a degree wheel attached to the cam gear and rotate the motor and make sure the valve opens and closes when it's supposed to based off of the crank's location relative to the "0" on the balancer and timing vane mark. Someone posted it once in more detail and it's all over the place on the net, "degreeing a cam" so look there for the specifics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 12:34pm
Me too Eric...cam swap and piston twist!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 12:29pm
i think the cam is unique to that engine also, it was a GM design and forget about getting hold of the engineer who designed it,
if you had some wiped lobes you lose your rocker clearance and the engine will rattle your teeth, you will hear the valve clatter at idle...i hope its merely a cam swap and be done with it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

you really need to check and see if the cam is degreed correctly before you start spending money guessing on stuff but then that's too late too. And that the firing order matches up with the crank's

I'll do it if you'll explain it to me.

I'm not going to talk out of school, but I think this cam from PCM is unique and I think this mill was carefully thought out. We'll see...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:57am
you really need to check and see if the cam is degreed correctly before you start spending money guessing on stuff but then that's too late too. And that the firing order matches up with the crank's
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:56am

TR, im assuming and the point is there is a difference in between the same spinning different part number cam, i dont know the difference and was using it as an example as to if the machinist thoughts were we could use a normal cam and just switch the firing order and it will be fine...thats not the case, i know there is a difference in the cams but what i dont know.....but what i do know is, there are 2 cams for this engine under 2 different part numbers and the cams both spin the same direction
i suspect with the comp ratios being so close that the it also has something to do with the cam being degreed wrong.
I fully understand the problem and i am merely making suggestions and not sending him on a wild goose chase.

Gotcha- the difference between the LH and RH cam would be pretty significant, and its possible that the machinist got confused since they both spin in the same direction.

If it is in fact a LH cam in a RH engine, Im pretty surprised that it ran up to 4k RPM- or that it ran at all. Trying to start my 302 backwards (LH starter) didnt work very well. Im wondering if Joe is possibly right about there being a wiped lobe or 2.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:54am
Wasn't the 425hp a LH engine? My 330 is RH, but I think both cams spin the same way but would have different profiles.

I also have it on good info that the cam needs to show up in a PCM box!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:36am
TR, im assuming and the point is there is a difference in between the same spinning different part number cam, i dont know the difference and was using it as an example as to if the machinist thoughts were we could use a normal cam and just switch the firing order and it will be fine...thats not the case, i know there is a difference in the cams but what i dont know.....but what i do know is, there are 2 cams for this engine under 2 different part numbers and the cams both spin the same direction
i suspect with the comp ratios being so close that the it also has something to do with the cam being degreed wrong.
I fully understand the problem and i am merely making suggestions and not sending him on a wild goose chase.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:05am

My point about the PCM cams were they both spin the same way and they are both are under a different part number and if the difference was the firing order you merely would switch the firing order not re-design the cam to match the firing order.

Still wrong! The firing order of the cam has to match the crank, regardless of which direction it spins. The rise and fall slopes on the lobes would be correct in this case, but everythign else would be off. I suspect that you cant make a RH engine run very well with a LH cam just by switching the plug wires around.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 9:04pm
Greg, i think i may be misleading you with cam timing, im reffering to if the key or the pin is off on the gear causing the cam to be advanced or retaraded where it connects to the gear, sometimes on cams you have to use offset keys to get the cam back in time, but it is minimal with the key. I dont mean you you didnt hit the timing marks on the gear (or did you) lol
My point about the PCM cams were they both spin the same way and they are both are under a different part number and if the difference was the firing order you merely would switch the firing order not re-design the cam to match the firing order.
I had a problem with a BB cam a few years ago and in 3 hours the cam was a broomstick, the leading edge of the lifters acted like a lathe tool bit and ate it right down to nothing....i still to do this day dont know what happened and Crane of course said it was improper break in...thats my excuse with tranny's lol
I kept adjusting the rockers and they kept loosening on me....you should've seen the metal in that thing btw, i went to a roller after that.
hang in there you'll solve the problem
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 7:34pm
This is a pic from when it came apart. I didn't get the same pic on re-assembly, but I do know it went back this way. As I see it, there are only 2 ways to do this and 1 would be 180 degrees out. There is 1 dot on the crank gear and 2 on the cam gear...sorry they're hard to see.

I suppose there could be a problem...don't think so though.

1988 BFN-sold

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 6:43pm
I once read "Smokey Yunick's Power Secrets" in this book he claimed by running your wrist pins bacards you gainned a longer dwell time at tdc building more drive on the power stroke.So does it really matter which way the pins are off set?I think the cam might just be installed poorly in respect to timing I'd want to verify that and might take considerable thinking and sketching with a standard cam running backwrads to the crank.Do you have a cam card on this piece?

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 6:28pm
see the thing here is Gregs cam probably matches the left hander which im sure the machinist got a crane or the equivalant cam thinking the left hander will work in a righty because it is spinning the same rotation, he's not backfiring all over the place so i think he has his firing order correct. i think the right handed cams may be degreed differently or some thing strange to that effect. its not making vacuum because of possibly to much valve overlap or the exhaust is opening early or to the likes and on the other end maybe the valves are closing early and causing low compression....?????? just some thoughts
all the signs are there for improper cam timing
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

All i can say is: in those years for the BBC thorough PCM there is a left handed cam and a right handed cam under different part numbers, why would they not use one common cam in both engines seeing that the cams spin the same rotation?

Regardless of which way the cam spins, the firing order is specific to the rotation of the crank, no?

I think it is specific to rotation and not cross-referencing the PCM part #'s is a big mistake I won't make again. I trusted the shop to research it after I gave up on the roller conversion; I'll have a more 'direct' chat with them when the final verdict is in. I got a classic blank look this morning when I talked to them...apparently a little more than average thought went into the make up of this mill.

Back on my other thread, either crane or comp explained to me that a RR cam is a mirror image of a LH cam spinning the same direction. I think the chevy cams and dist's from this time period all behave the same way; CW for the dizzy and 'standard' for the cam. It's where the lobes are and isn't there a leading and trailing edge of the lobe? I'm no expert, but may soon be on this engine anyway...soaked up a lot of info through all of this.

I ordered the PCM cam from Woody and will compare the 2 when I get that far.

Thanks Woody for your time and help!!! I don't get in your neighborhood very often, but I will stop by someday to say that in person.

For now I'm decided on the piston turn and I even think I understand why. While I'm in there we'll all see whatever else I got the pooch on?!!?

I really would have put my money on having more trouble with the patch!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

All i can say is: in those years for the BBC thorough PCM there is a left handed cam and a right handed cam under different part numbers, why would they not use one common cam in both engines seeing that the cams spin the same rotation?

Regardless of which way the cam spins, the firing order is specific to the rotation of the crank, no?

YES but there are differences there as well and the cam can be different since the crank is done in pairs, so 1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8 are basicly on the same stroke on the crank just one is one the compression and the other exhaust so it can be changed based on the cam.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 5:41pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic