NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

installing a new steering cable

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dkimball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkimball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: installing a new steering cable
    Posted: August-03-2008 at 4:03am
I changed the cable but it didn't seem to make much differene in the steering. I started inspecting the steering wheel assembly and think that there might be some something wrong there. It is a tilt steering wheel and there is a nut in there that looks like it may be broken which is causing to much play. Does anyone know about anything like this or know where I could get parts?
Kimball
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 4:57pm
Rule of thumb is that stuff breaks on a friday or the first day on vacation when you half ass it.

theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:49am
i agree....i was able to continue using the same cable, but i didn't put much use on the boat after i noticed the steering getting stiff.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 11:24pm
Chances are....if your rudder has been binding that bad it has damaged the cable.

theumer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theumer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 4:22pm
Before you go buying a new cable, disconnect the cable from the steering linkage at the rudder. Turn your wheel and see how free the cable is. If it drags then go ahead an buy a new one. If it doesn't drag then your cable is fine. I had a stiff steering issue that was related to the rudder packing. Just a thought before you spend the $$$ on a cable.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 2:26pm
Kimball,

It should be as easy as lifting the floor panel from behind the engine cover. you will have to remove the engine cover first...

It's a pretty easy job, especially if you have a helper.

dkimball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkimball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 2:37am
thanks I will probably order that in the next few days and see what I can do. Do you know how hard it is to get the floor up in the back?
Kimball
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 4:03am
you can get the cable here:

White Lake Marine Nautique Steering Cable 1991-1992

You can use the coupon code "PND" for a 10% discount.

I can't think of any other parts you would need. Check that all of the screws and bolts are tight under the helm
Get a friend to help you. Use a rope or clothesline and tie it to the end of the old cable before you pull it out. When you go to put the new cable in, tie the rope to the new cable and pull it back through.

dkimball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkimball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 1:48am
The steering on my parents 91 nautique is getting pretty stiff and I was planning on changing the steering cable. I am not to familiar with this and was wondering if anybody could give me some step by step instructions or now of a good place to find them. Also does anyone know where to get a steering cable and the parts I would need to get the job done. I know correct craft has there own special cable. Thanks for any help

Dan
Kimball
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic