NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

70s Teleflex helm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70s Teleflex helm
    Posted: July-18-2008 at 10:23am
Pete - Oilites would certainly be a permanent fix & outlast the boat! Please post the oilite #'s when you select them. I may follow suit for a winter project.

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 7:34am
Chris, I called around to several of my power tranmission guys I use regarding the split plastic flange bushings that the manual shows inside the helm. 2 of the 3 remember them (I do too) from years back but haven't see them in 20 years. My intent is to open it up this fall and replace the bushings with oil-lite bronze. They should be a drop in replacement because if I remember correctly, the plastic ones were in all the same dimensions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:59am
I took my helm apart as I also wanted to tighten it up. I couldn't find repacement bushings so I just buttoned it back up as is. I suppose you could knurl the bore but that would not be cricket with a safety item like steering.

Use synthetic brake caliper grease when you rebuild it - Syn grease won't eat the plastic cable liner like petrol-based grease will.

BTW - new helm from CC = $350, I checked.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 11:24am
Originally posted by korey korey wrote:

your 77 probably has a different setup than my '70 (cuda)

Actually, if Im not mistaken, the same Teleflex Big-T helm is used on both my '90 and '71-72 Skiers.

Ive got one helm thats busted, but I havent taken it apart. I say go for it, Pete- and let us know what you find!
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 4:36am
I was laying under the dash thinking about the EXACT same thing tonight. I'm not 100% convinced that mine is original though, even if it is, your 77 probably has a different setup than my '70 (cuda)
Korey Morris

1970 CC Barracuda Project
1993 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2008 at 9:12am
I've never opened up a Teleflex helm and wondering if anyone has. I seem to remember someone here re bushed their older helm. Looking at the manual it doesn't look like the rack can be shimmed to remove the backlash but new bushings on the pinion shaft may help. I do have some radial slop in the shaft. The bushings look like those cheapo split plastic ones! The cable per the PO was new when I got the boat and is not binding.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic