Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

88 2001 Ignition Switch playing up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Old Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 88 2001 Ignition Switch playing up
    Posted: July-30-2008 at 2:13pm
Hey Y'all,

I am having almost the same exact problem with my 90 Sport Nautique. Sometimes I have to push the switch a bunch of times to get it to catch.

I also sometimes have to kill the engine by disengaging the switch because when I turn the key to the off position the engine keeps running.

The last time I was out on the water the switch popped out while the boat was idling and killed the engine. I pushed it about ten times and it caught again, but then it blew the switch again when I re-started the boat.

I think there is a short somewhere so I'm going to get a test light today to try and figure out where it might be. I was advised that the exciter wire might be the problem since the key only sometimes turns off the boat.

Any other ideas where I might be able to start looking?

Thanks!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 7:57pm
James, Just as Chuck (the lake) found out the hard way, don't assume it's the switch until you track down the problem with a VOM or at least a test light. Don't be a "parts changer" We have plenty of them over on PN!!

Make sure you have power to the switch, then all the way through to ether the start circuit or the ignition. (you didn't say)

BTW, don't go spraying WD40 (it's not a cure all!! nether is duct tape!!) in a switch or even contact cleaner. Contact cleaner will remove the oils or light oxidation from a light duty contact. If your ignition switch is bad, the contacts are fried/burnt!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 7:34pm
what kind of fuse is in the dash. I have the old tube type that the cap screws onto it from the face of the dash. These are spring loaded and somtimes I have to reach under the dash and givr the 12 volt supply from the fuze to the switch a little tug to make good contact. I usually hold the key on when I do this to start it up. Make sure you are getting 12 volts to the switch.
Booty
82,2001 82,2001
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 7:20pm
Tjames,

I'm going to wade into this as I just diagnosed (with a lot of help from my GL friends) an ignition problem. Well actually they diagnosed the problem. I replaced my ignition but my problem was in the wire from the ignition to my coil.

A test light quickly identified the issue of a bad splice in the ignition wire.

Anyway the switch I put in came from an autoparts store; certainly not as good as the original Cole/Hersey but workable.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
tjamesbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjamesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 7:14pm
My ignition switch wouldn't switch on the other day until i'd switched about 20-30 times . Today I have had a look at it by pulling the Dash facia off and inspecting / trying it and it works every time . Looks like switch is marine and waterproof so i couldn't spray any contact cleaner or WD40 in it, other than around the bit of the button that slides in and out. Anyone know if this is a sign of impending failure and where i can get a replacement Switch from The Part no on it is 45-700-P10-DD its a 20A switch
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic