Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

motor mounts and alignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: motor mounts and alignment
    Posted: August-19-2008 at 8:02pm
Yeah, floor and stringers this winter. I've been living on borrowed time, and I don't think I have another season in this motor mount.
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 8:03am
Thomas, Vibration usually isn't a issue with bad alignment and isn't a good indicator of a problem. Vibration is usually caused by a bent shaft or a bad prop. Lining the coupling up "flat and carefully" without a feeler gauge to measure the max recommended .003" just by eye is tough. You have been lucky. Are you planning on going after the stringers this winter?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 12:48am
I hate to be a wet blanket here, but when I re-installed my engine, twice, it went back together with minimal fuss. That was after re-inventing the motor mounts from scratch by digging out the decayed wood around the stringer and pouring in new epoxy. I didn't use a feeler gauge because I didn't know alignment was such a critical issue. I just eyeballed and lined it up flat and carefully.

The mount repair lasted two seasons and I've had no vibration issues in the meantime. However, my front left mount is collapsing (I suppose the rest of the stringer is finally going) and the factory wood block on top of the stringer under the mount is now splitting, so I'm going to have to do the whole floor/stringer repair this winter. I'm just trying to make it another month this season.

Call me lucky, blessed, stupid, or all of the above, but I still don't have vibration issues. Of course, now that I know better, after I re-do the floor, I'll line up the engine with the utmost of care, and then I'll probably have terrible vibration problems.
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2008 at 10:42am
use a nicely sharpened wood chisel, usually if you are way out of whack on the alignment the couplings would've seperated once you removed the last bolt so it sounds as if your alignment is close, but check it anyways
"the things you own will start to own you"
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 9:43pm
tom,
i think i understand that. I can't get the coupling from the trans/shaft off. I went back out for another hour and still couldn't get it off.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 9:06pm
In case it was unclear, After nut facing downward on the mount is loosened, the stud/wedge pin needs to be whacked down to release the pin. Then the mount can slide in its bore. same thing on the fronts.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 7:32pm
guys,
started aligninment this afternoon for the first time.( No lake kids are all sick).

Can't get the couplings seperated. Have tried lubricating oil, puddy knife between the flanges and still can't get it to budge.

I have tried to read all the post and most of them say use a wood chisel and a bigger hammer or try to heat it. Any suggestions? I hate just hitting it hard with a hammer since i have never done this before...and if so do i hit the area between the flanges?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 10:01am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, Which new thread? The one you started on your dist/carb? If so, I'm letting the people better than I in that area handle it. I'd probably screw yo up!!!

Greg, Email me via my profile or pbrainard@wistool.com

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 9:16pm
Greg, Which new thread? The one you started on your dist/carb? If so, I'm letting the people better than I in that area handle it. I'd probably screw yo up!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 8:53pm
No sweat Pete...I've done it enough to explain! Any chance your wisdom has an opinion on my newest thread?

Glad you're home safe from wherever!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 8:23pm
Greg, Thanks for the explanation while I've been gone for a couple days.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 11:41am
He means to start at the strut and work forward. The strut is fixed(not easily adjustable), so start by centering the shaft in the strut and then align engine to the shaft. It takes getting a feel for it and it helps to prop the coupler end of the shaft with a V block. You may even need to loosen the connecting hose from the log. Also, that connecting hose may have 'memory' and not want to be where you want it to be.

In a nut shell, prop the front of the shaft(with coupler disco'd) and take a look to see if the shaft is centered in the strut.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 11:22am
i am going to align today. I think....after reading every post on this site about alignment I am ready to tackle it.

I didn't understand this though.

"Keep in mind that most guys will do a engine align and not even bother with the strut not understanding that in a true alignment it is done from the strut forward.-----Pete's quote"

Do I do this after i get the boat aligned at the coupling?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 8:13pm
good luck, shoot for -.000-
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 7:44pm
eddie,
thanks a lot. that completely makes since now.

I will let you know how it goes.

Shawn
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 7:32pm
Yes, you loosen up that nut that's just to the left of the mount and then it will move side to side. Sometimes these things get frozen and you may have to really pry it to get it to move. Some people even remove the mount completely to take it apart and lube the spindles so that they are easier to move. If you do that, you'll need to prop up the engine with something braced under the rear end of the exhaust manifold like a bottle jack.

The big nut on the right is just a locking nut. Loosen that up and then the whole threaded rod turns from the square shank up at the top of it. You'll need to make sure that you have both sides loosened up before you try moving it around. Also make sure you loosen up the front mounts on the engine before you try moving the tranny around. All four mounts need to be free to move when you pry it around.

Once you get into it, you'll see it isn't that bad as long as the mounts aren't frozen which many have experienced. If you do end up taking the mounts off to disassemble them on a bench, just put a little anti-seize on the pins and you won't have issues the next time.

Hope this helps you out.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 7:04pm
I am going to atempt alignment for the first time and am trying to make sure i am doing it right.

this is a picture of my rear motor mount.

am i right to say that nut to the immediate left of the up and down motor adjustment will move the motor side to side if i loosen it?

this is probably a stupid question but if i need to move the engine up how do i do it? There is no nut under the mount to push it up?   Just the large nut on top of the mount?

thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic