NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tuning my rudder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tuning my rudder
    Posted: July-28-2008 at 5:38pm
hmmm.     When it drives straight it is straight as can be. It will jump one way,   go a ways and then go the other way. It is not at any specific speed, but it is when I am holding my speed steady. I really won't put much more time into the boat this summer anymore, just wait and dig deeper this fall or winter. Not a big deal, just would prefer it did not do it.

thanks guys !!

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 11:44am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The fishtailing or aft wiggle, may be normal even without any slop in the steering/rudder. The rather flat bottoms of the 60's all did it. My 54 does it even worse!! It is a weird sensation. I feel it is the neutral point of the prop torque and hull going in a almost straight line. There isn't any rudder loading at this point and the hull will flip back and forth.

The only time I notice anything like that is when decelerating, coming off a plane my boat waggles just a bit at about 10 mph. I have only noticed that happening since in put the 540 prop on.

What you say Pete makes sense.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 10:09am
The fishtailing or aft wiggle, may be normal even without any slop in the steering/rudder. The rather flat bottoms of the 60's all did it. My 54 does it even worse!! It is a weird sensation. I feel it is the neutral point of the prop torque and hull going in a almost straight line. There isn't any rudder loading at this point and the hull will flip back and forth.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 11:42pm
Hey Boat Dr.

You are now avatar savvy!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 9:57pm
Had a similar problem with my '64....
Easy way to eliminate one cause is to drop the rudder.A bent shaft will cause some strange things to happen with steerage.
After many tries to solve said situation I pulled the rudder.Even tho I was convinced there was no issues there.
I found the rudder post was bent at the base and had a 5 to 7 degree tilt to aft.Let me repeat this was not visable looking at the rudder from port or starboard, but lying flat you could plainly see the bend at the base .........JMHO.........boat dr
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 9:36pm
Have you looked for loose linkage?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 8:37pm
Upon further review....

I took a file out to the dock and hopped in the water. The rudder already is ground down on the starboard side. Let me re-phrase the problem. Fishtailing is not a good explanation. I will be driving down teh lake at 20-25mph and the boat will abruptly pitch right may 8-10*, it will go a while longer, and then pitch the other way. It is not weaving per sé, just turns slightly each time, alternating which way. I did take a couple swipes with the file, so now I just have a shiny rudder egde, and no improvement.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 4:34pm
I was reading a little bit about rudder tunning in this post
I bet other will give more info but until then check that post.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 3:50pm
My wifes 68 Mustang fishtails periodically while driving it. I presume that the rudder needs to be ground a bit. Any suggestions? Which side should I do ? I have an angle grinder.
As I recall, I should just take a couple swipes at it, and test drive.

289 RH rotation.

Any advice is welcome.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic