NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Protec ignition plug wiring diagram

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protec ignition plug wiring diagram
    Posted: August-04-2008 at 11:21am
you have the relay wired wrong and the red wire from the distributor should go to the coil not the ballast resistor. Ths black wire from the relay to the ballast resistor is wrong, should have one of the orange or red wires going to the resistor that is why you only have power to the coil while cranking because it's only energized when the relay contacts are made and that goes bye bye when you release the key.
rshrews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 2:18am
HI,
I actually installed this Mallory conversion kit on rshrews engine today. However, I ran into a few issues. I cannot get the engine to fire over. WE have spark while cranking and 12v on the purple wire while cranking, but we do not have 12v on the '+' of the coil(purple wire) when the igniton switch is in the on position.

So I have a few questions regarding the wiring of this conversion kit as the instructions were hand written and a little unclear.

Distributor, Ignition module, coil, and plug wire install
At this step, I removed the mechanical pickup that was on the engine after setting the engine at TDC #1. I then installed the Mallory distributor with the rotor facing the 6 o'clock position as there were no markings for where #1 should start. So I then installed the plug wires starting from that position working my way couterclockwise in the firing order: 13726548
I then attached the purple lead from the new wiring harness to the '+' side of the ignition coil. I installed the other end of the purple wire in the harness to 1 side of the resistor along with the red wire from the ignition module. I installed the green wire from the ignition module to the '-' side of the coil along with the gray tachometer output wire. I then installed the brown wire from the igniton module to engine ground.

Starter relay wiring and 50 amp breaker
At the starter relay, I installed the main power wire from the battery to the positive side of the relay. I took a read wire and ran it from the same post to 1 side of the 50A breaker. The other side of the relay contained the heavy wire to the starter. I attached the white wire from the new harness to the 'S' terminal of the relay and the other 2 white wires to the neutral saftey switch. I installed the single black wire that came with the kit to the 'I' side of the relay and the other end to the other side of the resistor. I then took the 2 red leads and other orange lead from the wiring harness and installed them on the other side of the 50A breaker.

Alternator wiring
Pretty simple: The other end of the orange wire was attached to the B+ post and the yellow/green was attached to the Excite post and the black wire to the Ground post.

Now here is my problem. NO power on the purple wire when the key is turned to the ON position, but there is power on the purple wire when cranking. So I unplugged the 8 pin connector and check for power at pin 5(red) and pin 6(purple). I had power at both terminals. It is my understanding that there should be power on the purple wire until I jump power over from the red wire as the purple wire is power coming back from the ignition switch.

Do I need to hook up an ignition power lead to the 'I' terminal of the starter relay. Also, what is the purpose of the resistor and did I hook it up correctly?

Resitor wiring was black wire from 'I' terminal of the starter relay to one side and the purple wire from the wiring harness and the red wire from the igniton module to the other side of the resistor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
rshrews
rshrews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 1:53am
Need some help again...

Made the conversion this weekend but did not go successfully.

The engine turns over fine and fires great but as soon as I release the key from the start position it stops

Not getting any power to the resistor and the coil is not retaining power. Any idea where I might have screwed up wiring this thing
rshrews
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 11:04am
Originally posted by rshrews rshrews wrote:

The Engine model number is PLP-PR-R12PT which seems like all the R's in it would indicate it is a right hand rotation wouldn't it?

Nope, its the second digit that tells you the rotation- and judging by that serial number, youve got a lefty ProBoss mated to a 1.23 tranny.
rshrews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:23am
The Engine model number is PLP-PR-R12PT which seems like all the R's in it would indicate it is a right hand rotation wouldn't it?

rshrews
rshrews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 11:16pm
Ok one more dumb question for you guys.

How do you know if your engine is right or left hand rotation. I know my prop is right hand rotation. The tag on the engine that has the model and serial number also has the firing order which matches the firing order for left hand rotation ford engine.
Any other way I could confirm that the engine is a left hand rotation.

PS the wires were correct if in fact the engine is a left hand rotation
rshrews
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 1:40pm
94nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 11:13pm
If you call Vince at SkiDim he will email the PCM wiring diagram to you. He was very willing to do this for me when asked. I eventually bought the conversion kit and installed it myself with no problems. The kit comes with a new wiring harness and concise instructions.
rshrews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 12:02pm
Guys I have had some firing issues with my 92 sport 351. The carb was rebuilt last year and I have recently changed the plugs and plug wires without any luck. I am just about ready to make the conversion from the the protec ignition coils to a distributor with the skidim conversion kit.
So a couple of questions?

Can someone with a working protec ignition post the diagram of where the plug wires are running so I can make sure no wires are crossed before I drop 4 hundo on the kit.

Second I have elementary mechanical skills. How difficult is this conversion gonna be?
rshrews
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic