NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering hang up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering hang up
    Posted: August-15-2008 at 3:02am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Cables are cheap compared to the damage as a result of a broken cable and the ruined week-end too........
Call and order a new cable , cheap insurance for a couple of hundred dollars.....................Boat dr
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 1:26am
Been a while since I read the response. I remember my steering being much like yours Joel. I hate the thought of haveing to do as much work as Tim did. I should just get a new cable and throw it on.

Has anybody used this steering lubricant that puts a grease zerk looking thing on the rack? I saw it at West Marine and at one other marina in Misourri on vacation. Looks like it oils the cable on the inside. Good looking idea, but don't know if anybody has used it.

Thanks again guys!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 12:35pm
If I fling my steering wheel either way, it will spin more or less lock to lock with it's own momentum. That's how effortless it should be. My steering wheel probably has a little more momentum/inertia than the 93 wheel but you get the idea. It should be effortless.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 12:14pm
Mine had a catch in it turning to the right last year. It finally broke. The cable had a spot where it was almost broken completely and it was bunching up on it self between the gears in the helm. When it broke, I had to take the helm apart to get the cable out that goes into the tube. Also, I cleaned all the old grease out because there were 1/2 inch pieces of cable strands every where and a big lump of wire balled up in the grease.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 1:47am
Thanks guys, I'll look into a new cable. Got decent life out of this one I guess. When I drove Alan's boat this weekend, I knew there was something wrong.

Again, Thanks!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 6:51pm
Steering left is pushing the cable out of the sleeve, so as the doctor mentioned, might be time for a new cable.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 5:59pm
Cables are cheap compared to the damage as a result of a broken cable and the ruined week-end too........
Call and order a new cable , cheap insurance for a couple of hundred dollars.....................Boat dr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 4:55pm
While boating this weekend, I noticed I am developing a slight hang up when I steer left. It is smooth to the right, but it is "catching" at one spot thru the rotation. I pulled the floor up and greased it again. Little bit better, but I can still feel that little bit of catch. It is obviously much worse in the water under power.

This steering cable and such are about 9 years old (600+ hours). Maybe it is just shot, but normally I lube it and it is fine. Any thoughts?
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic