NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine analyzers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine analyzers
    Posted: August-13-2008 at 1:50pm
It's the small squiggly lines that you have to look at and there shape and size not how even it is accross the board. If you have it tuned properly you should be able to kill all odd cylinders at once and then all even cyl at once and it should stay running.
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 8:07pm
That is supposedly the neat thing about this, it kills each cylinder, reads how much the rpm drops and then puts that in graphical form on the screen and shows how much each cylinder is contributing to the total. It also has a cranking amp test where it measures the cranking amps each cylinder draws and then from that interpolates the compression from that. Sounds good on paper, be even better when it works. I did get a scope reading of each cylinders spark and it was even all the way across.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 6:00pm
usually for that type of test you actually have to go through a series of things and maybe that is what you need to do to get a reading, it's just not going to come up with a number usually you have to kill cylinders and read the emissions too, basicly your tuning the carb for idle.
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 5:42pm
damn, that's what I thought:) I've gone through it petty much. The tech support guy will be back from vacation tomorrow. Surely he can shed some light on the situation.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 3:46pm
sounds like you need to get the instructions out then.
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 3:44pm
That's what I thought. That's the way I hooked it up. I should have been more clear, when I say ignition module I'm reffering to the module that clips onto the tester, not the acutal ignition module on the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 2:33pm
all you need to be using is the lead to the #1 plug, the lead that goes around the coil wire and the leads for posts on the coil, you shouldn't be connecting anything to the module doesn't need it to define the signal. the osciliscope works off of the coil wire between the dist and coil, timing is the spark plug lead for #1 cyl postion as close to plug as possible and the rpm is from the coil post.
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 2:17pm
I could be barking up the wrong tree but there are two modes, one for distributor engines and one for DIS engines. The dis mode has eight wire hookups for each cylinder and you define the polarity for each cylinder. In the distributor mode there is a number one clamp and a clamp for the coil wire. One connector goes to neg side of the coil. I can't figure out if it only works with points and condensor or with electronic igntions too. The tech support guy won't be back until tomorrow.
Here is the unit:

http://www.superiorserviceandequipment.com/Brochures/Omitec/pda2100a_full_function_engine_an.htm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 1:38pm
can't see a picture here at work but sounds like your trying to use a piece of equipement used for a computer controlled engine on a non-computer controlled engine never seen or heard of a unit going directly to the ign module, on a DIS system for buick there is an adpater that has to be used in conjunction with the tester but that the only one I know of.
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 1:28pm
Has anyone here had experience with this particular model of engine analyzer?

Omitec PDA2100A Ignition Analyzer

I hook it up with the ignition module and keep getting "no data" when in the "cylinder efficiency" test. I'm in the distributor mode and the PCM 351 has electronic ignition in the distributor.
Any ideas? Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic