NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Front Red Lens Too Pale

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Red Lens Too Pale
    Posted: August-20-2008 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete, if you only knew how many Brunstuckians use that red tape for tail lights, i wonder if the resident Floridian has it on the back of his F-150

I've heard our resident Floridian has Port and Starboard monogramed on his shirts too

Bow and stern on his shorts too!!!
Ether that or "tip & ring"!! - No HW, it's not what you think. Tip and ring are terms used in the phone industry!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete, if you only knew how many Brunstuckians use that red tape for tail lights, i wonder if the resident Floridian has it on the back of his F-150

I've heard our resident Floridian has Port and Starboard monogramed on his shirts too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 8:00pm
Pete, you get extra credit for historical knowledge and excellent powers of observation.

But didn't you wonder about the "reverse rotation" thing in my signature?

When I rebuilt last, I used a 1990 Dakota 318 truck block. That's a roller cam block and it's bored .030" over. Crane ground a special reverse rotation cam for me for it. If there's another one in the world, I want to know about it. I spent 100-200 hours (I'm trying to be conservative here) porting and polishing the heads. It now has a new Edelbrock 4 bbl. carb and electronic ignition.

I usually estimate 250 hp. The 325 boast above is "evangelistically speaking" in the context of the reported 300 hp claimed elsewhere. I have no data for proof of actual hp, but my Garmin GPS says 45 mph is top speed. It gets there very quickly. Crane told me you get into water reversion issues if you run too much overlap with an underwater exhaust, so there are limits on absolute hp you wouldn't have in a car.

Oh, and "busted" on the glass lens. Mine is plastic. Faulty memory.
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 12:32pm
Charlie, I havent seen Neils boat in person- Im looking forward to checking it out in Lake George.

Thomas, my '71 has the same bow light as the ones I listed from ebay. It has the notch in in it from where the fin was removed. I have a spare sitting in a box somewhere, and that lens is plastic. The whole brand new assembly is probably cheaper than you could just find the lens locally!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 9:53am
"the things you own will start to own you"
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 9:15am
Tim,
have you seen Niels 69, I wonder if also has the laminate instrument cluster that started around 1970
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 7:52am
Originally posted by tleed tleed wrote:

If his engine has 300 hp, mine has 325. Bring it on!

Thomas, What engine do you have in the Cuda? Your signature says the 318 but they only were rated at 225 HP.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 1:36am
Ask for the Delta brand glass paint.
Tim D
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 12:37am
That's my boat! Except mine doesn't have a flashy new vinyl interior, a perfect finish, and a windshield. His front light does look exactly like mine.

I've looked at several marina stores in my area. That lens doesn't exist on a shelf in my 'hood. And there's no fin.

Charlie stole that one right out from under me and slipped it up I-81 past my house. But I'll drag race him any day. If his engine has 300 hp, mine has 325. Bring it on!

I think I'm going with the craft store plastic stained glass painting option. Seems permanent and unobtrusive. It's not right in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the lens is glass.
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 8:42pm
Charlie, while CC wasnt terribly consistent in their parts install (Im sure many of the left over larger lights were installed in '69), the boats Ive seen tend to have the smaller light starting in '69. Most of the boats in the diaries have this one, like Neil's '69 Barracuda:

Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 8:33pm
Tim,
The lite you found on Ebay is I believe for a 1970, the 1969s had a larger front lite
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 6:53pm
hmmm...when i bought my 74 in 2004, my lenses were in opposite what they were supposed to be! Green was on the ledt, and red was on the right! Mine were very dark and not very bright. I just cleaned them up with soap and water and put it back together.
74SkiNautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 3:12pm
I think the plastic stain glass stuff at a craft store would work. You could paint it on the inside and it would be translucent and have good lightfastness.
Tim D
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 2:34pm
You can also get some Lighting Gell for stage lights. It will hold up to the heat and won't cost you much.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 12:38pm
This is the bow light Ive seen installed on 69-71 (or so) CC's:

ebay 1

ebay 2

The middle fin removes pretty easily if you want to use the metal case.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 10:57am
Thomas, Keep looking for now but some lenses may be hard to find. What store did you look at? Is the lens plastic or glass? You may want to go to the auto store and get a roll of the red tail light repair tape used for broken lenses. Put a layer on the inside. Hopefully it won't be too dark then!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 1:37am
I got stopped last year by the puddle pirates, who took an interest in my front lens. It's an original 1969 lens and the red one is pretty washed-out. The nice officer, who didn't ticket me, urged me to get a new lens, and promised me there would be plenty for me at the local boat store. But what did he know? I went straight to the store, but, alas, no lens on the shelf would fit.

Is there something that can be done to darken these old lenses? Or is there a current source for replacements? I suppose I should get around to replacing this thing sometime soon, especially since I've had a whole year.
Thomas

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic