NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rub rail screws proven to sink

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rub rail screws proven to sink
    Posted: August-19-2008 at 7:49am
Do use some epoxy as mentioned. If you go to a marine supply like West, they will have the small quanties you need but they will also have a syringe that you can fill and then inject the holes. Don't use the "old" woodworker trick with toothpicks!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 3:36am
Hey, you could fill the holes in with an epoxy, then drill pilot holes for the screws. Also, you could just use a thicker dia. screw. That might be too costly.
74SkiNautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 1:48am
Teed, give me a call and will share my fix,
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 1:30am
I've put resin in mine with a small brush, let it harden and put the screw back in the hole.
Tim D
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 12:27am
Many of the rub rail screws in my '69 are loose, having been overtightened by previous owners. So every once in a while they drop out, and become lake bottom hazards. They more frequently work loose, leaving my rub strips flapping around looking for tender skin to fillet.

Anybody have suggestions for tightening them up? I saw a posting once about soaking little bits of foam with epoxy and basically cementing them in. But sometime soon I want to take them all out and re-finish the hull, so I don't want them permanently anchored.

I thought about using some other kind of goopy adhesive and dabbing it on the threads and putting them in, but I don't want the the holes all stuck up with junk when it comes time to do it the right way.

Suggestions?
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic