NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How bad is this prop?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How bad is this prop?
    Posted: August-26-2008 at 3:01am
Originally posted by wakemeup wakemeup wrote:

Thank God for overtime.
Thanks guys!
George

Guys like me and Gary S sure can agree with this.

Don't know if I'd like OT in your line of work tho.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 1:26am
Never tried changing one in the water. I don't carry a hole lot of spare parts. If I'm a long way from home I carry a spare prop/puller, raw water pump impeller and a tool box with some misc. wire, tape, clamps and chunks of hose it it.

None of it is on the boat; it's in my truck at the ramp. On the boat I have a Leatherman tool and a roll of duct-tape.

Knowledge of how the systems work and go together can get you through a lot in a pinch.
Work to live, not live to work.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 8:49pm
anyone ever changed a prop (on an inboard)while the boat was in the water?

Where do you guys carry all these millions of spare parts? I can't find enough room on my boat for all of them.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 2:51am
If you're gonna carry a spare prop you better carry a prop puller as well. Otherwise your likely to get frustrated at the ramp and damage something trying to get the damaged prop off.

When I'm a long way from home I carry my puller a spare prop and a couple extra cotter pins. You can get a quality puller for about $80.00.

Discount Inboard Marine has a cute "spare prop" case that has a pocket for the puller and a wrench for the nut. If you're looking to put an extra $125 in to the deal. Mine lives in a cardboard box.
Work to live, not live to work.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 2:10pm
I too recommend Delta props. The've straightened a rudder shaft and fixed 3 props for me. Suckers looked brand new. Figure bout $100.00 to do the job not including shipping. quick trun around time too. Well at least in the spring.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I am thinking of doing what Chris suggested; getting a four blade

Not a good idea! Do some research before you spent big bucks!

Just for the record, he actually just said get a spare. I misquoted him about specifically buying a 4 blade.
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 11:14am
thats a pretty hard hit, check the shaft run out after the strut, i would bet its tweeked, but im not a gambling man
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 10:15am

I am thinking of doing what Chris suggested; getting a four blade

Not a good idea! Do some research before you spent big bucks!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 3:03am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Always carry a spare.

john
You guys answered my question. Who ever said that boat stands for "bring on another thousand". More like bring on another 2 or 3 thousand. Thank God for overtime.

Thanks guys!

George           
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 1:51am
Always carry a spare.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 1:33am
When here at home no need to carry one,but when on the road,yes I bring one. If you don't you could loose the whole weekend for a 1/2? hour job.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 12:53am
I would Reccomend getting a four blade prop. OJ is the best way to go, it looks like that is what your prop now is. Also, b/c I know my lake very well, i dont carry a spare prop with me. I have my old 3 blade In the shop. Its good to have.
74SkiNautique
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 12:49am
Well this is all better news than I thought, I like the idea of going to a shop with a computer diagnostic to repair. Thanks for all of the input.

I've seen several references on this sight to having a spare prop. Is a spare prop something you would bring with you to the lake to replace a totally trashed one? Is it practical to be able to change out a prop on a Saturday or Sunday at the lake without having the whole weekend ruined? If so, how many of you guys carry a spare prop in your tow vehicle? You probably know where I am going with this. I am thinking of doing what Chris suggested; getting a four blade, repairing this one and having as a spare. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a spare unless you can change it out to salvage an outing at the lake. I mean I can get one overnighted to me tomorrow.
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 8:04pm
Delta Prop is a site sponsor(banner at top) and did excellent work for me.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
JohnI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:55pm
Wakemeup -

Your prop is very fixable. I recommend you send it to a prop shop that uses a "Prop Scan" computer diagnostic equipment for an accurate and balanced prop. I've used Thomas Marine Propeller shop in Sacramento that uses the "Prop Scan" computer system and the results were outstanding compared to the conventional prop shops that just use blocks. If you google Thomas Marine Propeller you can get a better idea on their work.

They're not inexpensive, but worth the price.

bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 4:55pm
wake, if you have been running the boat with that prop you should be feeling a lot of vibration. mine had just a few nicks and i had it redone this past off season. now i ride smoothe as butter.
bill
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 4:31pm
I would think that should be fixable. Do a search on prop shops and you should be able to find some recommendations.

If that's an acme maybe you can send it back to them to bang back into shape?
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 4:29pm
yes send it off to get straighted out/recondition and then use it as a spare and get a new prop if you have the budget to get a new one otherwise get it fixed and put back on the boat. Also you need to double check the alignment so that your not replacing the prop shaft next.
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 4:24pm
I need an expert opinion on the condition of my prop. Check out the pictures and let me know what you think. Does it need to be replaced? Can it be repaired? How much will it effect performance? By the way the PO did it. Two of the blades are damaged.
Thanks for your advice.
George

First blade thats damaged.

Another angle of first blade.

Another angle of first blade.

Second blade thats damaged.

Whole prop showing both damaged blades.
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic