Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet advice.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet advice.
    Posted: September-03-2008 at 3:34am
Somebody in an old post said it's just transitional moulding that you can get at a flooring center but I don't know that to be true. I haven't started looking for it yet.
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 2:59am
I think that someone said that you can get the trim at the dealers but they buy it somewhere? I have nothing to recycle! My boat had 2x6's laid across the back.lol
kevinindy
MdFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MdFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 2:41am
Kurt,
Sent you an email, if you reply to that I'll answer all your questions, just don't want to hi-jack this thread.

Kevin719,
I recycled the trim pieces I had. A little razor scraping to get the old glue out, then Simple Green scrubbing followed by 303 Protectant. I thought I might look for some new stuff in the off season but sounds like hard to find?
KP
1st85 Nautique
2nd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 2:42pm
Looks good Kevin,
How does that work, do they just provide the covering and do you have to hire a local shop to put them on or can you do that yourself?
Do they provide new foam for the seats? Did you have to rebuild any of the rotted wood in the rear seat like I have to do? Does your engine cover have a row of carpeting around the base like my 88? If so how did you attach that?
Sorry for all the questions.

Kurt
MdFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MdFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 2:34am
Kurt,

This is the only other pic I have at the moment.

The carpet kit from Capri was about $180 after shipping. Be sure to get the 8' width for a seamless side-to-side fit.

George from Christines was very helpful but warned me that the deluxe interior for 1985 is one of their most expensive kits. For everything, seats front and back, coaming pads, engine cover and all corner bolsters the bill came to $2700. But the quality is excellent, I have the original colors now and they even include the piece for the shifter panel. (which isn't done in the picture yet.)

Shoot me an email if you have more questions.
KP
1st85 Nautique
2nd
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 1:14am

Kevin,
I didnt use any trim on the removable pc of center floor. I cut the plywood a little short and upholstered the carpet around it. The center pc fits snuggly between the outside floor. You hardly notice the seam.

Not the best pic,but you can see it here..

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 8:19pm
Where are you guys getting that trim to put in the seams of the removable floor? Also It appears that the original carpet in my 74 was black??Can anyone verify that they used black in 74? the interior is mostly aqua and what I would call the kickpanels are white.I am jealous when I see you guys' carpet! I want to be finished and only 3 weeks before the baby!
kevinindy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 5:57pm
Kevin, (MdFooter)

Did you post some pics of your new interior from Christines yet other than your diary?
If you didn't, I'd like to see some more pics of your new skins and carpet. How much was the carpet kit and the new skins?
Kurt
MdFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MdFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 1:56am
I read many recommendations for Capri on the site so here is their Ship and Shore 16 oz. burgundy. I just ordered the 8x21 kit which was plenty of carpet but about two gallons short of glue. Used almost three. Didn't use a template either.

KP
1st85 Nautique
2nd
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 11:58pm
Lowes sells henry outdoor/marine carpet glue, its good.. takes about a week of warm weather to really dry though so keep it from getting wet right after.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
robman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 11:30pm
is lowes outdoor carpet glue good enough to use for laying boat carpet?
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 11:38pm
why is my carpet not glued down?
74SkiNautique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 6:52pm
Yep...it doesn't have the black fibers mixed in as the original did, but sure looks better than it did!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

This came from Lowe's...

Greg,
Is that the navy blue?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by robman robman wrote:

is the lowes carpet outdoor or marine carpet?

They sell both kinds. The Daystar carpet I spoke about is marine grade carpet. You have to ask to see the marine carpet sample book. Some of the clerks that work there don't even know it exists. Sometimes they will have some in stock but usually in only one color, at least at the stores in my area.
Kurt
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 4:48pm
corinthian marine will get you carpet shipped out today, it will not be in the 1+ dollar a square foot range however...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
robman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 4:41pm
is the lowes carpet outdoor or marine carpet?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 4:36pm
This came from Lowe's...

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 4:17pm
Rob,
Are you talking about indoor/outdoor carpet or marine grade carpet?
Lowes has the Daystar marine carpet which is a 16 oz cut pile marine carpet which was $1.13 sq ft when I checked in July. At the store I went to you have to order it though. They don't carry it in stock. You have to ask to see the marine carpet sample book.
Kurt
robman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 4:03pm
Thanks for the advice. I would like it to look good and have a nice feel to it. the carpet they had at lowes was not textured it had a tight loop. didn't know if anyone had any experiance with it or new a vendor I could order from and have it ship this week. Thanks again.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 3:47pm
template who needs a template, glue the sides trim the bottom edge with a razor knife, lay the floor leave a small section a long the outside edge that is not glued yet, trim, add trim strip and finish gluing, done with out a template.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 3:42pm
Although the stores local to me dont carry anything worthwhile, Ive heard you can get decent indoor/outdoor carpet at Lowes. When I did my Tique, I got the carpet from Bass Boat Carpets. Price was very reasonable, as was shipping. They'll send you several samples if you call up and ask- Id go with nothing less than 20oz.

Major bummer on not having the old carpet to use as a template. Ive recarpeted 2 boats and couldnt imagine doing it without it... my only advice would be to order a a piece much bigger than you think you'll need, and to cut it plenty big the first go around.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 3:37pm
Rob,

I don't feel using the old carpet as a pattern is the greatest. From pulling it out, it may be stretched in spots. I've used red rosin paper to make the templates. When done, roll it up and save it for the next carpet replacement.

Are you looking for carpet close to the original?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
robman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 3:31pm
Any advice on carpet for an 86' tique? they have outdoor carpet at lowes the clerk said would be fine as long as you do not use it in salt water $1.49 sqft (seems like a good deal). Went to West Marine have to wait 2 weeks to ship, hopeing for a quicker turn around time, like this thursday... other bad thing, I did not save the old carpet to create a stencil with.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic