NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mr Lavine... a question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mr Lavine... a question
    Posted: September-06-2008 at 7:10pm
a game of anticipation as with the woman
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 5:52pm
I got Tampa Rays Baseball on while I wax the F150. It is the greatest game ever invented. Later I will have the Tribe on.

Don't tell me you are a soccer or football fan?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 4:26pm
I think about baseball
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 2:22pm
Takes that long...what's your secret?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 1:24pm
just make sure you dont call during my scheduled love time from 8:00pm to 8:04 pm
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 8:40pm
Eric,
Now I got your cell number programmed in my cell phone.
Won't have to call you at work no mo!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 8:20pm
Kevin, you better call me on my cell
330-322-8817 or call my home and leave your number 330-995-4037
eric
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 6:24pm
eric, please email me.

kevin.fleischmann@plboatclub .   com
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 7:14pm
Came home from work and look wat came in the mail:

I ordered the ACME 1442 only last week on monday and its already here!!
Great job Delta Propeller!

After dinner, I immediatly went to the boat and put the prop on... and then: testdrive...
Well, in one word: AWESOME!!
What a complete difference. Thanks for the advice Bill Weeks and Tim Benjamin!

When I got back home, Chantal said: "Oh my, looks like that grin on your face is gonna stay there for quite a while!" She's right as always
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 9:36pm
Well... just spent five terrific hours on the water with ye ole Federal 14X16... Smooth as silk (like gun-driver stated)...!!
So the shaft, the alignment, heck the boat are A OK.
Now all I need is two more weeks of patience till my ACME 1442 arrives!
I just keep tracking it at UPS

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Now she's smooth as silk no vibration and no wobble!!!

Thanks again Eric

There's only a few other feelings like it!!!   LMAO
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 1:14pm
Good to know the actual problem! We're hoping that's all you have. I had a prop that was barely bent...could only see it on the workbench?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 1:04pm
Okay guys, here's the next episode on the vibration thing...

Pulled the boat out this morning. When I checked the shaft and turned the prop by hand to see if it moved freely, I found out what happened... When the prop came loose, it hit the rudder.
Two blade tips are bent! So it's fairly safe to say that the prop is out of balance, and causing vibration
On the first check of the saft, it seems straight.
So, before I start pulling the shaft I'll first put on my spare prop (federal 14X16) that I have in my cellar and see what she does... I'll do that this evening, because now the lake and the marina are far too crowded.

I will keep you posted tonight or tomorrow.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 10:39am
tony, they were there but not locked
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 10:48pm
I wish we can put together a couple of good threads in the common question area about alignment, replacing motor and transmission fluids, removing shaft coupler, and removing a transmission (and how to ship to Eric ). I did that for the material necessary to replace the carpet and a couple of people completed my list. These are common questions that keep coming back. Unfortunately I don't know enough. I might take a shot at it later after school is over. I will try to search it and compile it some procedures. I know people will correct if I am wrong.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 7:17pm
I gotta find that link from Dave Pescoe about alignment and bring it to the front, someone can help?
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 7:09pm
Kristof,
    My boat had the similar problem. I can see the stuffing box moving around. I removed my shaft because my strut was bent. I used a dial indicator and everything was within spec until Pete told me to check the tip. That's where my problem was. It was way out of spec. Here is the link when I checked the shaft alignment
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 6:51pm
I always had a vibration in my boat I didn't know if that was normal or not since this is my first inboard.
A week or so ago I was cleaning the boat - bilge and all and I grabbed the shaft/tranny coupling and gave it a spin, sure enough the rubber housing (stuffing box??) that seals the shaft wobbled. At first I thought the shaft was bent but I figured I better check the alignment first.
It took a couple of wacks (180* out)with a small chisel to separate the coupling, so I figured the PO never checked it.
Once I got it apart and slid it back together I had a .025 gap at the top and couldn't get even a .001 gauge in the bottom. So I thought there was some rust keeping it from going together better. I loosened the ring that keeps it from sliding aft and moved the shaft to the rear as far as it would go. Cleaned the shaft and tranny coupler halves up with a wire brush, then slid it back together.
Same gap same place.
Taking the info from Eric's posts I rotated the shaft 90* at a time and the gap stayed at the top. So up to the mounts I went.
Once I got it done the largest gap I had all the way around was .002
Now she's smooth as silk no vibration and no wobble!!!

Thanks again Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 10:03am
I hit sand once, couldnt see a scratch on the prop,,,,it was bent along with the shaft, it doesnt take much
Also if the prop is out of whack it will cause the stuffing box to move side to side, only from experience, the one a couple weeks ago i told the guy to watch his stuffing box wobble side to side. he did pull the boat and one of the blades was bent and the 1.5 shaft was straight as an arrow. he put a new prop on and the shaft no longer wobbled at the box. some situations vary. but if you hit rocks i would almost bet the shaft is bent, if if its .010 it will vibrate
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 8:44am
Thanks Pete, will do that.
And so my plans for saturday are set

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 7:51am
Kristof, See if you can get a dial indicator and clamp it up to the strut to measure aft of the strut. Hitting something usually bends a shaft aft of the strut. Doing the 180 between the couplings only checks forward. There's still somthing going on with the stuffing box though - use the dial indicator there too.

Strut alignment is by feel as how the shaft turns (not binding) in the cutlass bearing when it's roughly centered in the shaft log/hole in the bottom of the hull. Do this with the coupling and the stuffing box disconnected.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 6:28am
Greg,

Either you're up early, or still up late!
It's freaking 9.15 am here!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

I did check and recheck it by turning the shaft 180 degrees, with feeler gauges BTW, and at the coupling, everything looks fine...
So the shaft must be bent aft the stuffing box...?

Yes, and more specifically aft of the strut I bet. Hang in there...everything you fix properly should hold up for a long time!
1988 BFN-sold

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 5:12am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Sounds like you have it bolted back up, but if you set the alignment and then turn the shaft 180 degrees, it should be glaringly apparent.

Greg,
I did check and recheck it by turning the shaft 180 degrees, with feeler gauges BTW, and at the coupling, everything looks fine...
So the shaft mut be bent aft the stuffing box...?

It's my first season on this baby, but she has given me quite enough headaches already this summer... There hasn't been a single week without a minor or major problem to deal with... Good thing I love my CC so much and that there is this great site with so many helpful friends.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 5:09am
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

Kristof, do you fuel your boat with liquid propane?

Sorry don't mean to change the subject. I was just following along and saw your tanks in the photo.

Yes 79, it's fueled by LPG, quite a lot cheaper than running on gas in our part of the world.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 2:37am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Kristof, do make sure Chantal is sitting nearby (dressed appropriately) so we can catch a glimpse in the photos. Thanks guy!

Awful lot of follow-up posts Kristof without our Chantal picture. I am positive this job would go easier with her near-by...at least it would be far better for us!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 11:07pm
Kristof, do you fuel your boat with liquid propane?

Sorry don't mean to change the subject. I was just following along and saw your tanks in the photo.
Work to live, not live to work.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 8:03pm
HW did it...not me!   LOL

Sounds like you have it bolted back up, but if you set the alignment and then turn the shaft 180 degrees, it should be glaringly apparent.

I've heard it said here and other places...if you hit something, it's bent.
1988 BFN-sold

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 7:49pm
Well then Greg, my buddy and I will know what to do this weekend... Remove the shaft and get a new one... Pffff... more euro's going out the window...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

So, the shaft does not move sideways, only the stuffing box does...

Optical illusion! The box is showing the bend.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic