Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rub rail - rope insert question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rub rail - rope insert question
    Posted: September-04-2008 at 1:22am
All,
Went to my local TSC today and was able to find some 1/2" rope that was identical to what I had in the boat. I only bought enough to fill in what I needed in the back. I may look to change out the whole rope as I feel it is going to wear on me that a small section is new and the other is original and wore some.

Steve B
SRB
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 8:11pm
How can I change my Metal rub rail to the rope!
74SkiNautique
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 6:07pm
I replaced ours a few weekends back. I purchased 50' of new rope from the local marina. I installed it in about 2 hours. I thought about cleaning the old rope but figured I would never get it as clean as a new one. Looks really great.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:52pm
I just looked that up. That's pretty cool. I might've used that.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:33pm
Thinking about replacing mine with Glo-Rope.
White during the day, glows green at night.
What do you think?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 2:57pm
I just replaced mine. Went and bought 50' of 5/8" 3 strand nylon. Took off the back plate to pull some old rope out and see how quickly I was going to be able to do the replacement.

The rope that came out was 1/2" I don't know if it started out as 5/8" and was compressed to 1/2" over 30 years or if it replaced with 1/2" some time.

The 5/8" that I bought was not going in there since the rubber was not much like rubber anymore. So I went and got some 1/2".

To put the 1/2" in there I had my son hold the hair dryer on a section (which was a trick getting a 3 yo to hold it in the right spot) and I used a white rubber mallet to pound the new rope in.

Now I have a new 50' 5/8" dock line. lol
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 1:42am
All,
Thanks for the responses. I posted this subject on the general discussion forum also because I did not think it posted initially.
I am going to look into the TACO option and see what they have to offer.

Steve B.
SRB
Towman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Towman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 12:41am
Steve,I replaced mine last year,used normal 5/8 x 50'cotton rope found at any marine supply store.
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2008 at 11:21pm
My 74 has the metal rub rail How do I change it to the Rubber with rope? I love that!
74SkiNautique
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2008 at 10:35pm
go to a hardware store and get some rope! I havent taken mine out , but what keeps the ends from unraveling is it burned or whipped to prevent this?
Booty
82,2001 82,2001
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2008 at 8:14pm
The rubrails are made by TACO, and I suppose you could buy the rope there. But, I'm guessing you'll pay a lot more through TACO, or through a dealer. It's just standard 3 strand rope. I don't remember the thickness.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2008 at 7:02pm
Wanted to touch up one side of my rub rail on my 85 2001 as a few areas were loose. Removed the rope, soaked it in bleach water to whiten it up some then tighted and straightened up the suspect areas. All in all things were going well until I came up short with the rope not reaching the back of the boat / center where it was initially. I was taking time to stretch the rope out after every foot I put back in the rail channel but, I still came up short. I really don't want to go through this excercise again so will probablly just place a loose piece in to fill the void. Can anyone tell me if I can just order this rope from CC or any place online to get it?

Appreciate any input from the group.

Steve B
SRB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic