NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where is my oil going?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where is my oil going?
    Posted: September-16-2008 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

throw in worn valve guide seals and plugged oil retuns in the head because if the drains are clear oil doesn't pool in the heads and leak down the guides causing blue smoke at start up HHHHHHMMMMMMM

This is the quote is was responding to when I was talking about losing oil pressure. If you say his oil passages are plugged,....well it's going to hold oil in the top of the engine when running all day too. Eventually all the oil will be in the top of the engine and leaking out the valve cover gaskets as well. So if you want to label me as a ***************, you must be labeling yourself as a bigger one. Seriously,....go take your meds and get back to us when everything is all better.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

On my cars the oil is always lower on the dip stick after running. Then comes back up after a while. Is this not normal? Every car I have ever owned has done this even new ones.

The 'missing' oil is in the top and drains down. You are detailed?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 6:34pm
I'm heading out to the lake in a couple hours. I'll check the oil before I start the boat as I always do because it will tend to use oil. I'll check it again after it's been running for a while.

On my cars the oil is always lower on the dip stick after running. Then comes back up after a while. Is this not normal? Every car I have ever owned has done this even new ones.
Work to live, not live to work.

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 6:29pm
Oil pressure is good by the stock gauge on the dash. Drops a little at idle after skiing for a while, but not more than what would seem normal.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 5:04pm

If it stays up top overnight.... how the hell is it ever going to get into the oil pan to start with? it's not and you will have no oil pressure.

Exactly! So that can't be his problem now can it? So who's the real clown?

Former boats:
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

When the engine gets so sludged up so that it holds oil at the top of the head overnight,....it is also sludged to the point where the oil will not drain back down to the pan for recirculation. When this happens, you start to lose oil pressure. Gabe, are you losing oil pressure?

HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

If it stays up top overnight.... how the hell is it ever going to get into the oil pan to start with? it's not and you will have no oil pressure.

I said let it sit over night and check the oil level in the pan then compare it right after it's been started and ran up to temp then check again and compare? If it reads lower then the oil is stuck in the topside of the heads which leads to it seeping past the valve guide seals and causing blue smoke at start-up.

damn Malibu clown.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 4:42pm
Eric, I ran the TPI in stock form except for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and K&N air filter. I put Edelbrock aluminum heads on and ran dual exhaust (no room for headers). The cam was a Crane unit which was close to your specs. I'd need to research to tell you exactly. I had no problems passing emissions and no problems with pinging on pump gas due to the ESC. I ran 89 octane in it. The aluminum heads probably helped also.

On your 700R4, get the Corvette servo and a 1/2" boost valve. There's also a few holes in the valve body spacer plate that can be drilled and a couple check balls that can be left out for improved shifting. I'll need to dig for my book to tell you which ones. But you being a tranny man probably already have that information. Let me know.

What are you dropping this into? - Brian

Former boats:
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 3:06pm
nutty, im buzzing thru the 700 too, got the kevlar bands and red eagles on order,
will end up painting the whole package with base clear for the bling factor. i was going to convert to carb because i can get collector plates and skip e-check, i heard there were problems with the TPI...i dont know
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:41pm

79N, we must have posted at the same time please see the post above your last.

Gabe

got it, only thing I would do is pull the valve covers and make sure the oil passages are clear so the oil can drain back down into the pan is has to happen for the oil to leak past the seals and blow smoke on start up.

since the PO ran it hard and did poor maintance the rings are worn and it's sludged up so it's going to burn some oil deal with it and enjoy the boat until you are down on power and it's time to rebuild, doing the heads are only going to do nothing, yea the valve guide seals will be new, but if you remove the oil laying on top of old seals then it's not going to blow smoke like it does at start up and you've only spent 20 bucks on valve cover gaskets.

So my .02 pull the valve covers look for sludge look for clogged oil returns, look for oil dripping as soon as the covers are removed, if you see any of this then clean the passages and flush the motor to clean the internals and call it a day until it really needs a rebuild might be 5-10 yrs might be next season depends on how bad it is and you'll know pretty quick by just looking instead of jumping into the unknown and assuming what it needs.

So all you realy need is to replace the plugs sooner and add oil, but be sure you are checking it properly and not over filling it with oil.

Pull the did stick in the drive/lake after it's sat several days and read the level no need to clean and re-dip oil is all ready drained to the bottom, now go run it and get it hot and turn it off and check the level again first thing if the level is lower than what it was then it's in the top of the motor and not draining back problem one diagnosed, pull covers and clean returns is the fix and oil use should lower but enjoy it and don't get excited because you have to add oil if anything add some tranny fluid to try and loosen the rings as a couple might be stuck but then it just could be ware as well and only a re-build will fix that.

Gabe and Chris,......I'm going to try to say this in a way as to not disagree or step on anyones toes. But this is what I've seen in the past. When the engine gets so sludged up so that it holds oil at the top of the head overnight,....it is also sludged to the point where the oil will not drain back down to the pan for recirculation. When this happens, you start to lose oil pressure. Gabe, are you losing oil pressure?

Former boats:
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:35pm
Gabe, Chris mentioned the trans fluid to the oil bringing up a great idea. I'd put some Marvel Mystery in the crank case (follow the directions) and maybe even do the Sea Foam treatment (follow the directions) down the carb. You really don't have anything to loose. I've had great results with the Marvel!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Hey 79, not to interupt our brotherly love but how are you on 1987 chevy TPI, Im going with .210/.165 heads, 65cc chamber, which kicks the compression to 10:1....will the TPI handle it? I am camming mildly and putting a chip in it and an adjustable regulator...anything else? i was close to stroking the motor but held off cause of air volume. can i use the stock injectors and will the chip compensate for it?

Eric I had an '89 TPI 350 with 700R4 tranny that I dropped into an '89 Blazer 4X4. I did a few mild mods to this engine and can give you some pointers if interested. I used it for my daily driver and it ran very strong.

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:13pm

Gabe

got it, only thing I would do is pull the valve covers and make sure the oil passages are clear so the oil can drain back down into the pan is has to happen for the oil to leak past the seals and blow smoke on start up.

since the PO ran it hard and did poor maintance the rings are worn and it's sludged up so it's going to burn some oil deal with it and enjoy the boat until you are down on power and it's time to rebuild, doing the heads are only going to do nothing, yea the valve guide seals will be new, but if you remove the oil laying on top of old seals then it's not going to blow smoke like it does at start up and you've only spent 20 bucks on valve cover gaskets.

So my .02 pull the valve covers look for sludge look for clogged oil returns, look for oil dripping as soon as the covers are removed, if you see any of this then clean the passages and flush the motor to clean the internals and call it a day until it really needs a rebuild might be 5-10 yrs might be next season depends on how bad it is and you'll know pretty quick by just looking instead of jumping into the unknown and assuming what it needs.

So all you realy need is to replace the plugs sooner and add oil, but be sure you are checking it properly and not over filling it with oil.

Pull the did stick in the drive/lake after it's sat several days and read the level no need to clean and re-dip oil is all ready drained to the bottom, now go run it and get it hot and turn it off and check the level again first thing if the level is lower than what it was then it's in the top of the motor and not draining back problem one diagnosed, pull covers and clean returns is the fix and oil use should lower but enjoy it and don't get excited because you have to add oil if anything add some tranny fluid to try and loosen the rings as a couple might be stuck but then it just could be ware as well and only a re-build will fix that.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:05pm

79Tique, Run your engine and get it to operating temp. Then pull your oil filler cap then remove the PVC hose from the valve and plug it. Start the engine and see if you see smoke puffing out of the valve cover. If you do the rings are worn and a valve job will not do you any good. You may be in luck though because a little smoke at startup only usually means worn valves.

This was my first post on this thread and I stand by it! Read back and get the full story before you respond. Flip-flop....don't think so. You're taking things out of context and that's an Obama move (if you want to start a political debate). And what about the rest of my questions?

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:53pm
AFR aluminums,(came with the unfinished not fired car) not radical, just fast and turn key, trouble free, i never F-d with TPI and and I am a touch in the dark with it. I dont want to go to much and kill this thing
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:52pm

Gabe

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:49pm

Another member here suggest this and I just agreed but yet you want to ridicule me for it. So let's lay it on the line Chris. What is it that you have against me. My brand of boat? Is that your problem? What brand do you currently own? Some of your remarks sound like they came from 10 year old. Is your little sister telling you what to say? Take your medication and get back on here when you feel better. Se you later!

wow first you said this now you say that flip flop like Odamna, "I was agreeing with what this guy saids" please.

do it half ass and twice or wait and do it right pretty sure that's been my tune all along.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:49pm
Just to clear this up a little. 79N, after we taked about the ignition issues this is what I did: New, cap, rotor, plugs, custom Taylor spiral wound 8mm plug wires, coil, and replaced the wiring bringing power to the coil. I did it one step at a time because because I wanted to see what made a difference. The cap and rotor are Standard Electric. The 44mph is by Star Gazer G.P.S. Perfect Pass. I know about the speedos. The hole shot is good compared to other ski boats in my ski club that are not burning oil.

I do not have a lot of experience trouble shooting Fort V8 motors but have spent a lot of time around motorized stuff and I know when this motor is tuned it runs good. No piston slap, or knocking/tapping noises, no spark knock, and the idle is smooth and consistent. It just burns oil and that makes it eat spark plugs, but with fresh plugs it runs good.

All I'm trying to do is avoid tearing the motor down for sport. I'm not cheap, but I only have so much time. I going to take some of the advice from above and see what happens.
If the tests tell me and others, it needs rings I'll do it.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Hey 79, not to interupt our brotherly love but how are you on 1987 chevy TPI, Im going with .210/.165 heads, 65cc chamber, which kicks the compression to 10:1....will the TPI handle it? I am camming mildly and putting a chip in it and an adjustable regulator...anything else? i was close to stroking the motor but held off cause of air volume. can i use the stock injectors and will the chip compensate for it?

should might have to increase the injectors and throttle/metering plate, did you get the good vortec heads to use, one series sucks and has flow issues compard to the other. It depneds on what you are planing for the motor going fast or torque, fast larger metering plate to start then injectors later as the increased pulse might be enough for the injectors.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:42pm

I'm with Eric on this one. If you are going to do anything.....I'd at least pull the heads and take them to a good machine shop for reconditioning. And as he said you can see what you cylinder walls look like and even measure the wear. And as mentioned above, if you later decide to rebuild the remainder of the engine, your heads are already done.

again half what approach? well it's the rings but do the heads first, yea right smart move.

lot of blue smoke at first, why it doing that? oil's pooled in the head and leaking past valve guides because the motor's sludged up from poor maintance and the oil returns are clogged causing it to pool giving false hot oil level readings maybe? So if the rings are shot and the motor's sludged up why don't we just throw a band aid at so we can do the job twice, please get a clue,

and the speedo's are spot on over 35mph so in the real world maybe 40 mph

so what is the RPM at that 44 mph anyway? 4K? 3500? 4800? RPM's will tell what it is actually running on this model.

Another member here suggest this and I just agreed but yet you want to ridicule me for it. So let's lay it on the line Chris. What is it that you have against me. My brand of boat? Is that your problem? What brand do you currently own? Some of your remarks sound like they came from 10 year old. Is your little sister telling you what to say? Take your medication and get back on here when you feel better. Se you later!

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:39pm
correct Pete but it all goes back to how well it is stored and the conditions, high humidity, dampness, ventalated vs sealed cover and the quality of parts used to start with? wires do not last for ever and will crack and arc eventually, rotors caps can corroid and depending on how well they are maintained and the system operates can accelerate this process.

SO since one wire is bad usually more are bad or getting very marginal at best, all ready have excessive build up for one reason or another and scraping won't fix squat, get you going in the short term but not in the long term.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:38pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:06pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The cap's shot, the rotor's shot, the wires are shot,

Also if he had the ignition issues that you suggest, I doubt we could make enough power to get 44MPH.

FWIW, My 64 Interceptor still has the original wires and cap. I did put points and a condenser plus did the timing when I bought it. That was about 28 years ago! Still cranking hard.

ok Pete we all know that's not your daily driver.

Chris, You're correct but it still has about 900 hours on it. What is it about wires and the cap? Insulation breaking down? I would think age and not engine hours would have a bigger effect. If anything, I would think that on the newer boats these would have been improved.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Also if he had the ignition issues that you suggest, I doubt we could make enough power to get 44MPH.

FWIW, My 64 Interceptor still has the original wires and cap. I did put points and a condenser plus did the timing when I bought it. That was about 28 years ago! Still cranking hard.

ok Pete we all know that's not your daily driver.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 12:56pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 12:51pm

I'm with Eric on this one. If you are going to do anything.....I'd at least pull the heads and take them to a good machine shop for reconditioning. And as he said you can see what you cylinder walls look like and even measure the wear. And as mentioned above, if you later decide to rebuild the remainder of the engine, your heads are already done.

again half what approach? well it's the rings but do the heads first, yea right smart move.

lot of blue smoke at first, why it doing that? oil's pooled in the head and leaking past valve guides because the motor's sludged up from poor maintance and the oil returns are clogged causing it to pool giving false hot oil level readings maybe? So if the rings are shot and the motor's sludged up why don't we just throw a band aid at so we can do the job twice, please get a clue,

and the speedo's are spot on over 35mph so in the real world maybe 40 mph

so what is the RPM at that 44 mph anyway? 4K? 3500? 4800? RPM's will tell what it is actually running on this model.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 12:36pm

GREAT OPTIONS FROM MALIBU BOY sure he's right on track oh well waiste your money I don't give a crap if you want to do the job twice pretty stupid though if you ask me because it will not fix your issue, fix it right and put the right amount of oil in it and check the level when the boats in the water and not on the trailer and add if it needs it, tune the boat up correctly, scraping the cap, rotor and replacing a single wire is not a tune-up bye a country mile. The cap's shot, the rotor's shot, the wires are shot, so you can half ass like you have been or do it correctly your choice I don't care one way or the other the motor's on it's last leg tha's why oil is staying in the top end of the motor. Hell bet you never even pull the dip stick and checked the oil after it has sat all night either wouldn't be surpised if it read higher and over full compared to checking when it is hot and all the oils up top

I'm going to say this one more time for the slow ones here. I think he has a ring issue and that is what I suggested in my first post! I agree that he needs a total engine rebuild and if you read back you will find that I told him a head job would not fix his rings. Also if he had the ignition issues that you suggest, I doubt we could make enough power to get 44MPH. If you are so smart why did you tell him he could check his valve guides using a leak down test. So who's on track now?

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 12:07pm
with 575 hours, i would also say maybe somebody overheated the engine and possssssiiiibbblllllyyyy, expanded the pistons and galled the rings or even shrank them to the piston.
I have the tool to peek into the cylinders and if its scuffed all the way around it was an overheat situation, if its scuffed at 6 and 12 oclock, perpendiclular to the wrist pin then the holes are opened up and the piston is cocking on the up and down strokes. just some more thoughts to help you troubleshoot....not saying its the problem but it is something you can eliminate
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 11:56am

79N, When I do an oil change with a filter it takes 4.5 quarts. I'm running Autolight plugs.

When we were talking about my distributor I called the black build up, carbon. Someone suggested that moisture was getting in to the cap and I said there were no signs of corrosion or moisture in it. What was in my dist cap was carbon from too cool of a spark. The problem was an old wire from the coil to the cap. I replaced it and the performance got better and the carbon problem went away.

well to start it takes five (5) qt's so you will burn more oil because it's low to start with, secondly I hope you didn't half ass it and only replace the coil wire, I've seen tons of failed distributors in the lab for years I'm well aware what can and does happen under the cap and I know what kills it with and with out water, low or high current and have seen the colors and substances that appear under the dist cap under adverse conditions that where much more than your boat will ever see as they wheree done on purpose to find out ya know research and developement type stuff when you design a distributor and test it maybe?

So how all this crap relate to your situation, HHHMMMM bad wires, causes a cyclinder or two to not fire like it should leaving excess gas to wash down the cylinder walls allowing more oil to blow-by the rings and discolor the plugs at the same time. HHHHHMMMM low oil supply for pump to start with HHHHMHMMMM, throw in worn valve guide seals and plugged oil retuns in the head because if the drains are clear oil doesn't pool in the heads and leak down the guides causing blue smoke at start up HHHHHHMMMMMMM

so what do we do about half ass the rest of the motor like we did with the wires and jack with the heads and hope the rings magicly repair them selves while the head's are off having the valves done.

GREAT OPTIONS FROM MALIBU BOY sure he's right on track oh well waiste your money I don't give a crap if you want to do the job twice pretty stupid though if you ask me because it will not fix your issue, fix it right and put the right amount of oil in it and check the level when the boats in the water and not on the trailer and add if it needs it, tune the boat up correctly, scraping the cap, rotor and replacing a single wire is not a tune-up bye a country mile. The cap's shot, the rotor's shot, the wires are shot, so you can half ass like you have been or do it correctly your choice I don't care one way or the other the motor's on it's last leg tha's why oil is staying in the top end of the motor. Hell bet you never even pull the dip stick and checked the oil after it has sat all night either wouldn't be surpised if it read higher and over full compared to checking when it is hot and all the oils up top

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 10:29am
contrary to all of the above, if this thing rolled into the parking lot, I would do the following. warm it up, do a compression test and record the readings of the cylinders, if they are all over the board i would oil the cylinders and then do a compression test again, if they all came up and evened out i would know 100% it was rings. oil does not seal valves it does not block holes in pistons it does not seal cracks in heads. it seals rings to walls of cylinders. if all the readings come up except for one or two then i know there is another issue such as a stuck valve or a bad head gasket or to the likes.
you may also hook up a vacuum guage and should get a good solid 18 inches of vacuum, blow by kills vacuum
thats me though, take it for what its worth and start the discussions
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 4:35am

so then when you change the oil how many quarts do you add? What brand spark plugs do you use? since you over looked that question and did not answer it or the other questions I asked.

Based on the analnus for the dist cap and corrosion as you called it I seriously dubt your skills as to your "diagnostic capabilities"
run the damn thing until you blow it up then rebuild the thing, with that much oil burning it isn't the valve guides causing the issue so a valve job is a waiste of time and will not fix a damn thing in your case. Maybe you should concider how the boat was ran prior to your ownership, full bore wide open all of the time maybe? real good on a poorly tuned stocked motor to be ran that way.

79N, When I do an oil change with a filter it takes 4.5 quarts. I'm running Autolight plugs. My mechanical diagnostic skills are not great as I'm learning a new thing with that. I'm an avalanche forecaster by trade not a mechanic. I'd like to learn more about the motors as I find this stuff interesting, and I live in a 900 person town in the mountains and it's a two hour drive to take the boat to a good mechanic. I know the problem is blow by, I know that's how it's getting in the carb. What I've been trying to do is determine weather I need to do rings or not.

When we were talking about my distributor I called the black build up, carbon. Someone suggested that moisture was getting in to the cap and I said there were no signs of corrosion or moisture in it. What was in my dist cap was carbon from too cool of a spark. The problem was an old wire from the coil to the cap. I replaced it and the performance got better and the carbon problem went away. I appreciate the help and guidance a lot but if it is annoying for you to give it please feel free not to.

As for this problem, the motor runs fine, good hole shot and top end is about 44mph. I don't like adding oil all the time and replacing plugs a lot so I want to fix it. It sounds like Nuttyskier can help me understand the leak down test and I'd like to gain that skill anyway. I agree that I should do the heads and if it still burns oil do the rings over the winter. The heads would need to be done then too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic