Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tune up a HM302

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tune up a HM302
    Posted: September-10-2008 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Doug, here is a little of the info I have.

http://www.eastmarine.ru/incp/katalog/sierra/i_o/OMC_STERNDRIVE_COBRA/ignition_system.pdf

on this site are some part #'s Tune up kit 1st page,right hand column,bottom AP 3077, or cap alone, 3rd page,1st column 4th down AP 868,or just points,condencer,rotor 1st page middle column, 2 down AP1007. This is assuming you still have the mallory distributor. I have used these parts for years when they were known as Aqua Power. Maybe with these numbers you can go with a local parts store.
The impeller for your I assume original Jabsco is part # 1210-0001 and comes with the impeller and several cover gaskets.Everything but the end plate is advailable from here-
http://www.depcopump.com/    Below is a parts break down for your pump-
http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/jabsco/11850-0801.PDF
For plugs I use regular Motorcraft ones,if you need the number I'll have to check the boat later and for wires I used some Accel solid core ones that you cut and put on the ends yourself. I realise you live in Canada but maybe with this info you can get them up there eh? If I can help anymore just ask-

Gary- thanks, that is exactly what I needed. I checked a few other sites but didn't find part #s. I have the Motorcraft plugs in it now and will continue with them. I see most of the guys have 8 mm wires and I'm familiar with those Accel wires.
Thanks
Doug
70 Mustang project
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 2:29am
Doug, here is a little of the info I have.

http://www.eastmarine.ru/incp/katalog/sierra/i_o/OMC_STERNDRIVE_COBRA/ignition_system.pdf

on this site are some part #'s Tune up kit 1st page,right hand column,bottom AP 3077, or cap alone, 3rd page,1st column 4th down AP 868,or just points,condencer,rotor 1st page middle column, 2 down AP1007. This is assuming you still have the mallory distributor. I have used these parts for years when they were known as Aqua Power. Maybe with these numbers you can go with a local parts store.
The impeller for your I assume original Jabsco is part # 1210-0001 and comes with the impeller and several cover gaskets.Everything but the end plate is advailable from here-
http://www.depcopump.com/    Below is a parts break down for your pump-
http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/jabsco/11850-0801.PDF
For plugs I use regular Motorcraft ones,if you need the number I'll have to check the boat later and for wires I used some Accel solid core ones that you cut and put on the ends yourself. I realise you live in Canada but maybe with this info you can get them up there eh? If I can help anymore just ask-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 4:41pm
I've marked several things as "gift" when sold on ebay to help people out on taxes.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

NAFTA my azz. That Blowz.

well NAFTA was just the jobs not the products going cross borders or should we say US jobs shipped over the borders.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Well said!

Thanks for the explanation...all you need is a boat parts smuggler.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 4:07pm
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance, but why is it hard to ship boat parts over the border?

Its not really. The problem is if I come to the states for a few days I can bring back $300/person no problem. And more if I'm there longer.
If I order a $40 part I usually get charged 2 or 3 times the cost ofthe normal shipping cost within the US(it really should only be up to 10% more), 14% Canadian taxes on the declared value including shipping and then $30 brokerage fees. Its these added values that piss me off.
Many times for car parts I will have them shipped to a UPS warehouse near the border and I will cross over and get them.
70 Mustang project
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Can you send money to someone and get them to buy the stuff for you and ship it to you marked gift? That would help on import taxes.

Tim- that's exactly how its done. You must have done that before. That would work but it depends on how much would be saved and how fast I need the part. When you take the savings and make it worthwhile for everybody, then you really have to be buying some expensive or US only stuff. Tuneup stuff is more important for me to get the parts that have proven good to somebody and get it today. Otherstuff like a prop purchase would be really good for a gift.
Doug
70 Mustang project
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 2:47pm
Please excuse my ignorance, but why is it hard to ship boat parts over the border?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 2:26pm
Can you send money to someone and get them to buy the stuff for you and ship it to you marked gift? That would help on import taxes.
Tim D
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 1:33pm
I'm just about to tune up a 1970 HM302 and I'm looking for parts advice. Ie: which sparkplugs and wires have worked well for you on the HM , part # for distributor cap and rotor points and condenser.
I can't use Skidim or similiar because shipping and the border is expensive and too time consuming. Mechanic jobbers is my best source but ofcourse they don't have any reference for the flat top caps.
I think I have the carb under control but I need to work on the fuel supply- Also- searched alignment, vibration etc and found pages of threads and have spent two hours reading thru them but I havn't found the thread on how to align the drive. Anybody have it bookmarked?
Also looked for a picture of a Mustangs stringers(being repaired) and didn't find them. Can anyone point me in the right direction there?

Are the impellers hard to get? I had a look at mine and its good to go but I would like to have one on the shelf if I need one.
Thanks
Doug
70 Mustang project
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic