NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative winterizing
    Posted: February-11-2009 at 10:11pm
^^Exactly how I have always done all my boats. But I went exotic, and have about 6 feet of hose.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 2:46pm
Winter is half way over, I guess it is time to winterize.

This is just a piece of vinyl tubing (1" ??) where I hook up the garden hose to run it on the trailer. 1' of hose and 2 hose clamps is pretty cheap.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 3:14pm
BS won't happen, it failed because of poor torqueing of the head bolts not because she made a thousand one mile trips to school.
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 6:50pm
yes it does. That would be cool.
74SkiNautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 10:12am
Sounds like some material for Mythbusters to work on!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

I said If you repeat this. ONe time aint gonna do it.

Chris,
Please read what I said. I'll leave it with this. Here it is again:
"Think about the thousands of short trips people do every single day in their cars"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 8:45pm
I said If you repeat this. ONe time aint gonna do it.
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 8:43am

My Uncle's Dodge Durango Blew a head gasket, His wife would take the boys to school in the winter, it was only like 1 mile away. Everyday she did this, and a week later the head gasket blew.

Chris,
Please don't take this comment as me picking on to in any way - I'm just disagreeing with your theory.

Your uncles Durango blew a head gasket but was it from not being warmed up completely? No one really knows!! Think about the thousands of short trips people do every single day in their cars. We don't have thousands of blown head gaskets!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 11:20pm
One way to blow the head gasket is failure to let the engine heat up fully before turning it off. If you repeat this, it is a possibility. I wouldn't start it up for like 2 minutes in the offseason just to start it up. Let it warm up 100%. Same in a car, My Uncle's Dodge Durango Blew a head gasket, His wife would take the boys to school in the winter, it was only like 1 mile away. Everyday she did this, and a week later the head gasket blew.
74SkiNautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 11:52am
?????
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 6:59pm

If you dont let it heat up fully, You can only really do this by putting it in the water and using it, You have a risk of blowing the head gasket.

Chris,
I've lost you where you're going with this comment. If the engine is run long enough on the garden hose, it will heat up and not need to go in the water - correct? Where's the risk of a blown head gasket coming in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 6:25pm
If you dont let it heat up fully, You have a risk of blowing the head gasket.
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 10:52am
Last year I stopped by to pet the boat in the middle of winter. I just turned the engine over a little with a wrench so that the pistons weren't in the same exact spot. Don't know if it did any good but it didn't cost anything either. I was also told it was bad to start an engine if you weren't going to let it warm up good.

Ben Franklin
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

and a mechanic friend told me that if I had the opportunity of storing the engine inside, the best thing to do is letting the engine run for 15 minutes to a half hour every two weeks.

I wouldn't think running the engine for that short a time would get everything up to temperature. I'd be concerned about condensation in the oil in particular.
1989 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 8:43pm
Sounds like alot of extra work, but maybe it isn't work to you if you enjoy doing it!

Ben Franklin
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 5:56pm
I have always sucked antifreeze from a bucket to winterize. I first run it off the fake-a-lake till it warms up. Take a bucket with 2 gallons of antifreeze and put it next to the RWP and unhook the intake hose and slide a 4 foot hose on and stick it in the bucket. I have 2 large buckets under each exhaust. I use plain antifreeze because it will mix with the water already in the block. I catch and recycle the antifreeze over and over until it becomes warm. I check the freezing point of what comes out. Then I remove a hose on the intake and circ pump and check the freezing point. And I blow out the water and add antifreeze in the tranny cooler plumbing. I remove the belt on the RWP so I can crank it about once a month and let it run for 10 or 15 seconds. I don't bother with fogging and I put stabil in the tank.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 10:24am
after many, many boats in the hundreds over the years??? I drain the block and manifolds and because I Buy cheaply RV anti freeze, i suck or pour 2 gallons into each engine without the thermostat open, normally in the thermostat housing is a small passage that goes right into the manifolds. I will warm the engine if the customer wants an oil change. as im pouring the last half gallon of AF in I'll fog the engine.
If the engine wont start I'll remove the big waterpumpm hose and fill.
when you drain the block you are removing a full cavity of water and if it did freeze the water has no where to go, simply draining the block is sufficient. over the years on my own boats i never added antifreeze, simply drained the block and left the plugs out until spring and then re-installed
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 9:33am
I'd have to agree with Tim and Pete, for 25 years I have been draining the block and refilling with just under 2 gallons of RV antifreeze. It's fast and easy and reliable, and you know exactly whats in the block.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 7:59am
Originally posted by ac505 ac505 wrote:

I have used the "suck from the bucket" method for the last few years with no probs, in my view I am ensuring that every part of the cooling system is suitably protected - I am personally not as confident this can be achieved with the "disconnect and pour antifreeze method".

I run the engine up to temp with a hose feed, then immediately switch over to a bucket of antifreeze - I've got a diverter valve for this so the swap over is immediate hence no time for the thermostat to close down. I always crack open the drain plugs a little to ensure the antifreeze has circulated.

I'm always open to learning so if this method is wrong or problematic, I'd love to understand why.

AC,
I'll restate the major concern. Without draining the block, there is no way of knowing that you have the proper freeze protection in all parts of the engine. Some of the water from the RWP is diverted to the exhaust through the manifolds. The engine only takes what it needs to keep the proper temp. With regular antifreeze, and say there's a gallon of water in the block, there is no way of knowing you have gotten a gallon of antifreeze into it and properly mixed. With RV antifreeze, it must be used full strength and can't be diluted. Even if you used a hydrometer or a refractometer from a sample you still won't know the mix strength throughout the entire engine block.

Draining and pouring in a known strength is really the safest way plus, you don't need to worry if the T stat is open or closed. The antifreeze will flow backwards into the block through the circulating pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ac505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 7:04am
Although our weather is colder (in summer) we don't get the same winter lows as many parts of the US experience, we did hit -22C about 10yrs ago, but generally -7 to -9C are the order of the day but for brief spells only.

I have used the "suck from the bucket" method for the last few years with no probs, in my view I am ensuring that every part of the cooling system is suitably protected - I am personally not as confident this can be achieved with the "disconnect and pour antifreeze method".

I run the engine up to temp with a hose feed, then immediately switch over to a bucket of antifreeze - I've got a diverter valve for this so the swap over is immediate hence no time for the thermostat to close down. I always crack open the drain plugs a little to ensure the antifreeze has circulated.

I'm always open to learning so if this method is wrong or problematic, I'd love to understand why.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 1:22am
what a way to waste money, they dont need 5 cases...hahaha

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I've commented before that I'd really like to know who and where someone decided this was the way to winterize. 5 or 6 cases for 5 boats! Sucking from buckets or Flush Pros! Kiddie pool collection! Hopefully a refractometer for checking the freeze level (for RV). I have a feeling someone saw a large marina set up with a purge/circulating system and thought this was the way it was supposed to be done. Never mind what the manual says!! Quicker? Maybe - After you've building the contraption! Safer? Not with out draining!! Expensive? Yes - More antifreeze! (got to get the exhaust tubing protected!!!
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 1:19am
if u keep it in a heated room, loosen your belts to keep from getting a memory. Also disconnect the batt. to be safe.
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 8:52pm
[QUOTE=emccallum] A lot of folks around here are into the sucking antifreeze from a bucket method. QUOTE]

These people must be afraid of wrenches!!

Threaded plugs are scary!

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 1:06pm
Emc, I agree- unless you drain the block first, then theres really no way to tell if the mixture is correct unless you test it. I prefer the drain and pour just like PCM recommends- easy, quick, and foolproof.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 12:44pm
A lot of folks around here are into the sucking antifreeze from a bucket method. Two things that worry me....What if the thermostat is closed and the antifreeze doesnt get into the engine? Second, the antifreeze that stays in the strainer ruins the plastic. If I am in the boat removing impellers, loosening belts etc, how long does it take to remove a few plugs and do it right??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete you know about metals, from being submerged alot of the metal parts broke right off easily such as the brake arm and other metal parts, it was strange, any explanation?

I'll have to say that the parts that broke were die cast (alloy of aluminum and zinc). The zinc becomes the sacrificial metal leaving only a porous and (corroded as well) aluminum. It's just like the "zincs" we put on boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 3:54pm
it was worth taking a picture Pete, i wish i would have, these guy's trip over dollars to pick up nickels, recently they are draining our lake for the new damn and out in the distance you could see 4 wheeler wheels sticking up in the air and the "rescue crew" went out to pull it from the lake, big dollar 4 wheeler with the key still in it, we figured the guy was on the ice and broke thru, no body though, maybe insurance job?
Pete you know about metals, from being submerged alot of the metal parts broke right off easily such as the brake arm and other metal parts, it was strange, any explanation?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 1:13pm
I've commented before that I'd really like to know who and where someone decided this was the way to winterize. 5 or 6 cases for 5 boats! Sucking from buckets or Flush Pros! Kiddie pool collection! Hopefully a refractometer for checking the freeze level (for RV). I have a feeling someone saw a large marina set up with a purge/circulating system and thought this was the way it was supposed to be done. Never mind what the manual says!! Quicker? Maybe - After you've building the contraption! Safer? Not with out draining!! Expensive? Yes - More antifreeze! (got to get the exhaust tubing protected!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 11:28am
stopped in amazement yesterady while riding my bicycle to watch the locals having a winterizing party, 4 boats on the street waiting for thier turn.
These guy's made a 2x4 frame and lined it with plastic sheeting with a kiddie pool underneath that. it was an all day process it seemed. I stood back and watched, they had 5 or 6 cases of antifreeze and im sure the same amount of beer to match.... I keep my trap shut because these guy's have a tendency to call you any hour of the day or night and want to talk about boats and want them repaired while they wait. I just finished up a trans from my neihborhood, I even offered to pull the boat to my shop, through another guy, he insisted the local dealer do the repair, well somehow i wound up with his trans, the dealer nailed him for 1300, the guy is snakey and he is a shopper, looking for the best possible deal.
he found out I did the trans through the grapevine and I ran into him yesterday and I went out my way to tell him I would of did the job in my driveway for $500.00, obviously i was rattling his chain. I thought it was pretty funny
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2008 at 4:06pm
Thanks John! Can't wait till july!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic