Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cleaner for gel coat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cleaner for gel coat
    Posted: November-02-2008 at 8:58pm
That's more like it. The 50/50 and soap worked like a charm. The gel looks great! Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 11:05pm
Chris,
The vinegar won't hurt the paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 2:31pm
   Is it okay to use this water/vinegar solution on my lettering? Our graphics were hand painted. Any chance of the vinegar cutting through it?
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 7:54am
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

Smith Mountain Lake here in VA is very VERY clean. You can drink the water and not even tell it was from a lake.   

Chris,
Hard water isn't dirty. People used to go out of their way to get "mineral" water for drinking. Today, they go out of their way to buy water in small containers with fancy labels that cost more than beer or soda and is nothing more than distilled and filtered!!

Yes on the 50/50 mix. Vinegar being a acid breaks down the minerals and Chris's (SNobsessed) adding the dish soap is the surfactant.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 10:11pm
Okay. Yea I understand now. Smith Mountain Lake here in VA is very VERY clean. You can drink the water and not even tell it was from a lake. No spotting on our boat. I only get a waterline if it is left in overnight in a very calm cove where all the scum collects. So the water/vinegar you just mix it 50/50?             
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 9:28pm
Chris,
Hard water as in high in minerals. It's what water softeners are made for when your house water is "hard". When the water droplets dry, it leaves the minerals on the surface. Your home dishwasher running on hard water will leave glassware spotted if you don't add a surfactant such as "Jet Dry". The water spotting Dan (bsucics) described isn't a waterline scum or a below the waterline staining.

Powers lake in high in lime. There are even limestone quarries in our area.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

When I first got my Tique, I was anxious to run it in the lake but didn't have the time to haul it all the way 300 miles to my second home yet. I have a friend with a home on Powers lake (yes, the infamous PLBC lake!) so I dropped it in one weekend. I have NEVER been in such a hard water lake and ended up with plenty of water spotting. I considered using some "Lime Away" but opted for the vinegar and water. Worked great!

What do you mean by a "hard water lake?"
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

For hard water spots, I use vinegar & water, about 50/50, plus a little dish soap. Doesn't take much to cut thru it. You will have to re-wax as it strips that off too!

What exactly are the hard water spots you guys are talking about? Is it just a waterline or some sort of reaction with the water?
74SkiNautique
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 10:25am
Second on the NuFinish for polishing!
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 7:45am
When I first got my Tique, I was anxious to run it in the lake but didn't have the time to haul it all the way 300 miles to my second home yet. I have a friend with a home on Powers lake (yes, the infamous PLBC lake!) so I dropped it in one weekend. I have NEVER been in such a hard water lake and ended up with plenty of water spotting. I considered using some "Lime Away" but opted for the vinegar and water. Worked great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 12:38am
The best gel coat cleaner is 3M marine fiberglass restorer. It will take that waterline off of your hull, any white and chalky oxidation too. Makes it shine and look brand new! Also, it waxes. After I'm done, I apply turtle wax too.

3M fiberglass restore

This is available at walmart. Just look in the marine section and you'll see it. It also comes in different grits. More course or fine for the right job. I would recomend the medium grit. DONT use on your letters or decals. Using this is tedious but it is great for a waterline scum or algae. The water/vinegar is faster, and more for the spotting.
74SkiNautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 10:22pm
Second on the vinegar and water, or if you are lazy like me vinegar cleaner from windex.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 8:02pm
For hard water spots, I use vinegar & water, about 50/50, plus a little dish soap. Doesn't take much to cut thru it. You will have to re-wax as it strips that off too!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 5:59pm
I like to use polish (not wax) such as NuFinish. Any discount store carries it. If that does not take them off, I'll use a mild rubbing compound. I use 3M liquid, not real aggresive. both go on easy and come off easy.
If you have to use rubbing compound, make sure you follow up with polish. Good Luck.
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 4:19pm
trying to get the boat cleaned up before storing it away and am having no luck cleaning off the water spots on the gel coat. I obviously need something a little more aggressive than soap and water. what do you guys use? I kept the boat on a lift this year so no scum...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic