NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pumpkin update

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pumpkin update
    Posted: November-01-2008 at 1:36pm
pretty much normal, the oil drains back and the pressure of the valve springs will push the oil from the lifter momentarily, the clearances may be opened up a touch from wear. my jeep Cherokee does it everyday and it wakes up the neighbors...nothing in my case that Lucas cant cure... Ive been waiting a year for it to throw a rod out the side. one thing i can say the 4.0 Chrysler's take a licking and keep on ticking. Im on a rigorous oil change schedule between 15,000 and 20,000 I dont let it go much over 20k though lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

it sounded like a bad valve adjustmant, a sticky lifter will sound like a knock

Sometimes when we fire up our SN, and it revs up too about 1300rpm, you can here a lifter make a knocking sound. Goes away in about 3 seconds once oil psi builds.
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 10:34am
it sounded like a bad valve adjustmant, a sticky lifter will sound like a knock
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 4:44am
Greg, forgive me if I've missed something,....are your valve springs new? Also,...you've installed a different lifter in that bore, right? Who did your heads for you (the machine work). You might have a valve that is sticking in the guide. That normally happens when an engine is overheated but can also happen if you don't have clearance between the valve stem and guide. If you pull the head, remove the spring from the valve associated with the knocking lifter and check how it fits in the guide.

Now here is a possibility.....since your intake was leaking air, it may have caused that valve to get really hot and stick in the guide. Combution temps soar when the mixture leans out. Just some thoughts. I hope you find the problem. Let us know! - Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 7:18pm
Eric, what did that sound like? I think it's wierd that this problem appeared after it seemed to be fine for some time. I did switch the cams out more than once along with other pieces...who knows? Maybe around february I'll pull it apart again and find the trouble. That won't take long though...I can do it in someone else's sleep now!   

Doc, who is this 'old' wise one?!!?

I have to fix my surge brakes and at least 1 bearing before a road trip...you better come see us! LOL

Pete, no sweat on the coffee or the expense of the motor. I wouldn't trade what I know now, and we even have Jamaican blue mountain!

Besides, we know how to handle folks like doc?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 2:37pm
Greg,
Somehow you have to convince Amy that you have SAVED money by doing the engine yourself! All the small bills don't add up to one big one from a engine rebuilder!

Now, if you were to fly in Billy, be prepared to stock up on about 20lbs. of coffee - and that's only for a couple days!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 1:34pm
Old Wise One, thank you for the vote .......
As the weather cools off there , Amy and you will come HERE>>>>>>>>>.I have the shop, tools and a lot of Bowtie Guys in my backyard.
You need a break, Amy needs a holiday weekend, to get away from Ga.The Boat dr. needs a project to focus on till Woodcock season opens,Dec.18.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 12:12pm
Greg, I have an engine here that the rockers are hitting the larger spring retainers causing awful noises, i need a touch longer pushrods to prevent this
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 12:00pm
The answer to my posts after the rebuild is that the edelbrock intake had a slightly different angle than the original does. I think the way to say it is that the intake faces had a slightly shallower angle in relation to the base...meaning that as the intake is set in place, the top touches first leaving a vacuum leak at the bottom of the ports. I also found out that the PCM intake gaskets are considerably different than the felpro's.

With that part solved, I discovered a knock. This knock was not there through 25-30 hrs of troubleshooting the vac problem. That turned out to be the #4 exhaust lifter wearing badly like it wasn't returning to the bottom on each stroke causing a slap/knock.

After several R&R's including changing the lifter, honing its bore, and checking the cam and swapping the cam, I found a valve spring rubbing against its retainer sleeve. So I thought I was going to post yesterday that all was well, but the damn knock is still there. I did pull that head to look for other probs but found none.

So how many have done an engine and stringer job in 1 winter and have both come out perfect? LOL I'm batting better than in the majors!

And Amy says the next penny I spend on it will be on the Boat Dr's plane ticket to Atl?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic